Going through heat cycle with two intact dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Going through heat cycle with two intact dogs

I have a 22 month old male and a 10 month female, the female is starting to enter heat. I didn't want to spay or castrate them yet(or at all) but I absolutely don't want puppies. I have read people have succesfully kept both dogs in the same house before, some say it's unlivable but others have said it's doable but unpleasant. I stay at home most of the time and I will be keeping them in separate rooms. I have also started giving the female chlorophyll as I heard it can help.

I will do an emergency spay if I need to but I want to avoid it.

I can't keep either at a kennel since they both have some reactivity issues.

Any other suggestions for this time? I am committed not screwing this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

You might be able to find a dog sitter who doesn’t have other dogs who will take one in for you. Are they reactive off leash? Dogs that are leash reactive might not be in a cageless kennel situation.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
You might be able to find a dog sitter who doesn’t have other dogs who will take one in for you. Are they reactive off leash? Dogs that are leash reactive might not be in a cageless kennel situation.
Sadly they are super dog reactive and frankly don't like people. The male tolerates other people but doesn't allow touching, the female is worse. I thought about it but them going somewhere is not an option this time.

I am thinking I can keep the male outside in the backyard and have the female pee in the front if I need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Crate and rotate. Thatís what Iíve done in the past when Iíve had girls in heat and an intact male. I put as much space as possible between the two. Crates at opposite ends of the house, with lots of doors in between. If the weather was nice, Iíd toss Russell outside for awhile so the girl could be out and about in the house. Bring Russ in, and go out in the yard with the girl.

Itís totally doable. It just takes a lot of moving dogs around. If your breeder is an option, you could call to see if theyíd take your male for awhile. Thatís what I did with Russ several times.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 PM
Knighted Member

My dog just finished up her 3rd heat, while living with 2 intact male GSDs. It's not rocket science - keeping them apart - but it does take vigilance and care. It also varies by dog. Some male dogs are just more driven, in that regard, than others, and don't underestimate the drive of the female as well!

Anyway, for me the worst part was waking up to pawing and whining by one of the males every morning for a week or so.

Ahh, but It is what it is, deal with it by rotating access to the yard and it'll all be good again in a couple weeks

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 PM

I put bloomers with pads on my female and she was crated except for going on walks with me and some playing in the yard. Her first heat my male was interested and stayed close but didn't really do much more than mope around. When my gal came into her 2nd heat, he spent a week singing love songs. It was annoying for us all. She hit 18 months right between her 2nd and what might have been her 3rd heat. That is when I go her spayed.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
My dog just finished up her 3rd heat, while living with 2 intact male GSDs.
How did the males interact, if at all, with each other during this time?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

Crate and rotate when your are home.

Crate BOTH of them when you are not home. If possible, kennel or crate one in the garage if you have a garage. And the other in the house.

Having the girl do her business in the front yard and the male in the back may be ok.

If you are there, you can stop them before they tie. I mean, he will be licking her and long before he tries to hump, you can lead him away. Mostly the problem is that you think she is out before she is, let them together, go take a shower and come back and whoops, they are tied. And likely there will be puppies. so crate and rotate for a month. Constant supervision. Constant vigilance!!!!

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

It has been 3 days since she started, he sniffs her but isn't very interested. I suspect in 4-5 days he will be more interested and I will need to have them split up 24/7 for the duration of the heat.

I read the middle week is the worst normally.

Are crates really needed if you're at home and keeping them in separate rooms? I also got one of these: https://delayherspay.com/ but I haven't tried to fit it yet. I wouldn't trust it for leaving them alone.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
How did the males interact, if at all, with each other during this time?
The 2 males were fine with each other throughout. Interestingly though, only 1 showed an interest at any given time, mostly it was the older of them that was most interested...until the very end and even beyond, then the younger one stepped up his interest (the boys are 6 and 8).
wolfy dog likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page