Water toy recomendations - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Water toy recomendations

So I am looking for some toy recommendations for Dean.
He has this Jolly Pets ball, and he loves it. But as I found out the hard way last week, when he decided to take it out and drop it into a still very frigid Lake Superior, it doesn't float very well. This one is also hollow (Probably why it doesn't float well?) And has a nice give when he chews it.
I am looking for one similar, that holds up to a little bit of chewing, and some heavy tug. Those are his rewards for bringing it back, so I need it to be able to hold up. He will only get it when we play in the water, so he won't be able to sit and just chew it up, but still.
photo of Dean and the ball I am talking about
Attached Images

huntergreen likes this.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

Water toy recomendations

I like the chuck it bumpers they float and come in bright colors and light weight. I get the large size. They like tug but left out it can get destroyed. For some tugging and then some play and it has been tossed around in some rough oceans. I always put it away after it is for beach fun only. Some photos because I miss the water and just to show you how much use it gets during the water season. Even when the sun starts to goe down itís east to see with the bright color.
https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Amphi...gateway&sr=8-2
Clare and Datura like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-01-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

I have a "Ruff Dog Stick" in yellow. It's easy to throw and it floats. After a good bit of play it seems to sink but will come back to the surface every time. The yellow is easy to see on the water surface.
https://ruffdawg.com/wpcproduct/stick-twig/
Datura likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

I have a "Ruff Dog Stick" in yellow. It's easy to throw and it floats. After a good bit of play it seems to sink but will come back to the surface every time. The yellow is easy to see on the water surface.
Datura likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Master Member

Even though these balls are referred to as foam, they are more like a tough plastic that will hold up.
https://legacyk9gear.com/shop?olsPag...oam-ball-wrope
Datura likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

Those foam balls are great to I always look for something light and non abrasive for their teeth. Just as long as no water can get in the holes between the string. The yellow sticks are good my dogs just never like them and a lot of water can pool in the middle depending if they are picked up the wrong way in the water it could be used like a straw, so I would not use them for water sports or water play. Max’s favorite ball the glow n dark chuck with the hole in the middle i rarely take to beach. I Do use it at the beach for training but not for not frequent water tosses. Any holes in the middle of any toy can pool water and if your dog loves to swim and you spend hours at the beach it would mean lots of salt water intake. so I would avoid anything that can pool up any additional water in their mouth it can be deadly. I know this because it happened years ago and lucky Max actually threw up thankfully all that extra salt water (that was pooling in the middle of a hole in the ball)after immediately not looking right was fine right after. I am always careful what I bring to the beach, how long they fetch, how long they swim , how long in the water and forced breaks.
So this is a great thread for water toys.
Datura likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-02-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I like the chuck it bumpers they float and come in bright colors and light weight. I get the large size. They like tug but left out it can get destroyed. For some tugging and then some play and it has been tossed around in some rough oceans. I always put it away after it is for beach fun only. Some photos because I miss the water and just to show you how much use it gets during the water season. Even when the sun starts to goe down itís east to see with the bright color.
https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Amphi...gateway&sr=8-2
That is super bright. I was tossing some large sticks for Dean the other day at sunset, and he was having trouble seeing a few of them. I bet he would be able to see that though.
It would also only be used at the lake for fetching, and a little hard tug. It's his reward for bringing it back, and he also gets all fired up after a couple minutes of tug. I just need something to hold up to that haha
I love your photos by the way. Really makes me crave summer when I can get in the water and not lose feeling in my toes lol

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Those look awesome. Especially since I was getting him to go in after larger sticks last time we went, but he was losing sight of a few of them.
It says it's scented. Whats the scent lol One reason I love his ball is that it's vanilla scented. Even after almost a year of abuse, it still smells nice lol

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Even though these balls are referred to as foam, they are more like a tough plastic that will hold up.
https://legacyk9gear.com/shop?olsPag...oam-ball-wrope
Do you know if it would hold up to a hard game of tug?

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Those foam balls are great to I always look for something light and non abrasive for their teeth. Just as long as no water can get in the holes between the string. The yellow sticks are good my dogs just never like them and a lot of water can pool in the middle depending if they are picked up the wrong way in the water it could be used like a straw, so I would not use them for water sports or water play. Maxís favorite ball the glow n dark chuck with the hole in the middle i rarely take to beach. I Do use it at the beach for training but not for not frequent water tosses. Any holes in the middle of any toy can pool water and if your dog loves to swim and you spend hours at the beach it would mean lots of salt water intake. so I would avoid anything that can pool up any additional water in their mouth it can be deadly. I know this because it happened years ago and lucky Max actually threw up thankfully all that extra salt water (that was pooling in the middle of a hole in the ball)after immediately not looking right was fine right after. I am always careful what I bring to the beach, how long they fetch, how long they swim , how long in the water and forced breaks.
So this is a great thread for water toys.
I don't have to worry about salt water thankfully, only fresh water here. A friend of mine from Florida though, just had one of her dogs spend almost a week at the vet due to water intoxication, and complications due to it being salt water. That was very scary.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page