German Shepherds Forum banner

It's getting better.

665 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LuvShepherds 
#1 ·
I am not sure where to put this. It isn't really about Quinnie. But it is about life with dogs. With me it is more dogs. It is about depression and recovery. About loss and maybe about a healthier place to be.

Within the last two years, I went from having 22 regulars at my house to 13. 3 of the thirteen are just a year old or less. So I have lost or rehomed 12 dogs in a 2.5 year period. Maybe more. Oscar and Nder, Nikki and Nina, Dolly, Lassie, Sherah and Sherry. Well, Sherah and Sherry were only 10 months old, so they were just big puppies. All my 2-3 year old bitches/my dogs and one older lady. Dolly was seven. And then recently Lassie just turned 6. They were all rehomed. This was all really a good thing. Good for the dogs, good for me, and wonderful for the new owners.

I see them from time to time, and I hear stories. Sherry has a heart condition and she shouldn't have made two, but she just turned 3. She is a therapy dog and works with people with developmental disabilities. They've taken her to heart as they know that she has a problem and she is awesome with them. She also is the demo dog for training to use pet-oxygen masks with fire departments.

Nikki went to a family with a teenager who has gone through a rough patch, and she says having the dog has saved her, because she doesn't want to leave the dog, the dog has given her a reason to go on.

I have seen so many beautiful pictures of Lassie. I am so happy for her. I never really connected well with her. Bringing her out front and working with her more helped a lot, but now she is the center of attention and someone's princess. They are giving her a good life.

But the others, Jenna, Milla, Ninja, and now little Quinnie. It's getting better, but I can't think about her without tearing up. It's going to take time. But I am able to smile at the youngsters' antics. I am singing to Tinuviel again. And starting to come alive to Uzzi and Kaiah, Kojak and Ramona.

I can't believe that Babsy may hit 14. It will be a miracle, but August is not that far away. She's having a harder time getting up now. She needs a bath and a brush, and toenails done, but I am afraid to put her in the tub. I put her on the table the last time, and she couldn't get up for two days. I am afraid I will lose her. So I am waiting for a good day to hose her and shampoo her without lifting. Heidi too.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hope Springs eternal, right? Sometimes we just have to wake up one morning and reset. Sometimes doing what is best for something you love and care for hurts you right in the heart, so only the truly selfless can put their loved animal first and do it anyway. <3 And it sounds like people benefited greatly too. Win win. Hoping for a beautiful spa day for you and Babsy soon :)

#4 ·
It's good to think of the happiness your dogs are giving to others. Glad to hear you're having better days.

Reactions: selzer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.