• 2 Post By middleofnowhere
  • 1 Post By crittersitter
  • 1 Post By atomic
  • 3 Post By techinstructor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Prong collar/freak accident/ caution

I just want to put this out here as a warning. Last night I was loading my guy up in his wire crate in the SUV. As he entered the crate he stopped. I thought he was refusing to enter which he never does. I gave him a little coaxing pat to get him in and then realized that his collar was caught in the wire and just how tight the collar was.

I started scrambling to get at the quick release to get him free but panick was setting in, his fur was rolled in the collar. After a few seconds of fumbling, and me yelling "help!" he gave a forceful lunge and freed himself.

So for those who use a prong and have a wire crate, I would caution to take the prong off before loading up. My guy never wears a prong in the crate but it never occurred to me to take it off before hand.

All kinds of horror stories were going through my mind while my fingers were fumbling trying to release him and the collar was so tight that there was even a tiny bit of wiggle room Between collar and neck.

It was the worst 6 second scare that I have had in a long time. We are both fine but I wanted to share the caution.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

So glad it turned out ok! I like to have a quick release on my prongs too, but it isn't always a guarantee. When those things go tight it can be impossible to release. I had two that were playing for a split second after a walk get linked together. A Mastiff and a GSD. It was horrific, I couldn't do a THING. Thank goodness they twisted apart. Then I had Valor's lower jaw get hooked through my little pit mix's 1" flat leather collar. They were hard to release and my pit mix was a little bag of nerves who dropped his scent gland over it and was mad at Valor for days lol
Heartandsoul likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I don't blame him. If I had scent glands they definitely would have dropped. Thanks for the chuckle, lol.
CometDog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks for the scary example. Glad he is OK. Prongs only when on leash, same with the choke chains (show dogs wear the scariest). I take it off even for a brief off leash time and never in the presence of another dog, no collar actually. No collars in crates either except when traveling in the car in her crate, just in case of an accident and she needs to be identified.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Thanks for the scary example. Glad he is OK. Prongs only when on leash, same with the choke chains (show dogs wear the scariest). I take it off even for a brief off leash time and never in the presence of another dog, no collar actually. No collars in crates either except when traveling in the car in her crate, just in case of an accident and she needs to be identified.
that is the way I go as well. Even though my dogs are microchipped, they wear a martingal with i.d. when ever we leave the property. They aren't likely to get hung up with a prong getting in and out of our Gunner kennels, but I should take them off anyhow. I want them to be as comfortable as possible relaxing in their crates.

I am glad your guy is OK. My heart would have about stopped if something like that happened to my buddies.
Heartandsoul likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
My prong and leash are as one. The ensemble comes off the dog at the collar point. During bratty teen period I did use a prong with a short tab, but dog was in same room as me, prong was very properly fitted, and nobody else was wearing a collar. The minute I had to crate him to do something that needed a lot of my attention, prong came off.
huntergreen likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Wrecks can happen. Thanks for the reminder about prongs and wire crates.
Heartandsoul and huntergreen like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:38 PM

I never leave a prong collar on because of the fear of what you described. I only use them out of the crate and when on leash. Glad all is OK.
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM

Glad it turned out ok! My dogs only wear collars when actively out and about, my GSD doesn’t need a prong and walks politely in a harness or flat collar but my Dobie is a terror without his prong. I also leave a flat collar on him too with my info, and I have center ring style collars popular with hunters because if caught up they roll over and the dog can escape.
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Even though my dogs are microchipped, they wear a martingal with i.d. when ever we leave the property.

I too use martingale collars with ID, but I leave mine on all the time. I still have to watch out though because the leash ring can get caught on things. I have an older wire crate that has bent wires on the door that are used to latch the door shut. One day my pup got the ring of the collar caught on one of those bent wires (The door is kept open most of the time.) She freaked and pulled the crate a good 6' before I got her calm enough to get her loose. I was really glad it was a martingale collar with limits to how tight it can slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page