Preparing for 115 F and 100% humidity - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Preparing for 115 F and 100% humidity

Hello guys,

Dubai brings 8 months of nice weather and 4 months indicated in the subject of this thread.

There are lots of dogs here and people manage. Summer officially starts May-June and ends September.

I have 2 things that worry me:

1. Hot ground burning paws when out to peepee/poopoo:

Solutions for problem 1:

A lot of people do this here: go out only morning and after the sun has set for a while. I dont like this solution. Are there other ideas other than wearing boots as I will not be there during the day and I am not sure how the dog walker will deal? I bought the Musher cream. Is there another product that can be easily wrapped around the paws and more easier to put / take off than boots.

Any ideas for this appreciated

2. Exercise:

Solutions for problem 2:

I bought Glacier Tek vest. I read the SAR forum and how they acclimate dogs to heat. I am using some the techniques and it seems Rex is getting more adjusted to the already higher temperatures. But still I want to be very conservative with high heat / humidity. SO how can you exercise your dog indoors. The space indoors is essentially the first floor of the townhouse. It is about 800 Sqft.

I have it covered with matts so he can run around inside. I got a flirt pool that I am using indoor to get used to it for him. I also am thinking of getting a treadmill?? Is that a stupid idea?

Finally, I do have a small garden. Let s say it was 100 degrees and 90% humidity but 4 pm so sun not at its speak. Can I get a Intek small pool, run around and make him jump in pool to cool down? Does this work?

Ideas please here.....

I know a lot of you guys experience periods of high heat and humidity.

Any pointers would be great.

Many thanks

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 AM
Master Member

Be careful of the pools. In that kind of heat, even the water is warm, especially shallow pools like the ones you're talking about. It's almost like taking a bath. I've lived in Phoenix almost 20 years ago where from time to time the temperatures reached that high too (but a dry heat). And I thought jumping into pools could cool me down. I think your bathtub or shower would be a better bet to cool down the dog.

1st suggestion is to ask those people with dogs. They're the ones with the experience of dealing with that heat.

2nd is to sacrifice some sleep and wake up an hour earlier than you'd normally do and take your dog for a long walk or run. If you can find a fenced in yard or park or something, you can play fetch with your dog. Running back and forth like that is a good way to drain some of that energy. I know in the mornings it could be in the 90s already too...so you have to be careful not to overdo it.

3rd, I think you should get your dog used to dog shoes. There's no way around it. I've even seen some police dogs wear dog shoes in 90 degree temps to protect them from the hot surfaces. At 115 degrees...that's another kind of hot.
Orphan Heidi likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

You have to view summer in those temps the way people in the far north view winter extreme temperatures: a season for staying indoors and doing other stuff. An indoor treadmill would be a very good idea.

I say this as someone living in Louisiana where we have very hot summers with very high humidity. The other three seasons are for doing stuff outdoors with dogs. Summer is for travel to somewhere cooler -- you can't even comfortably walk before dawn due to the humidity holding the heat (it never *really* cools off). Dawn/late night walks are just slightly less oppressive.

I think you should invest in boots for the dog if you're going to insist on walking over hot pavement -- you have to get used to doing a "pavement check" with your own skin before letting the dog walk if it's not wearing boots.

If you're determined to push the dog through the heat, you must become familiar with heat stroke symptoms in dogs and always know the fastest route to a 24 hour emergency vet. You really can kill a dog by exercising it in these sorts of weather conditions. The humidity prevents them from cooling off efficiently by panting. If you're living in a part of the world where you don't have ready access to excellent vet care, I would think carefully about how much risk you're willing to take on.
huntergreen and Orphan Heidi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Yes, bite the bullet and get some dog booties. If fitted properly the ones that velcro on work well. You can't walk

a dog in the city in those temps without protection.

And keep in mind, even police dogs get heat strokes when on duty due to heat.

Also consider carrying a bottle and cup for water, ALWAYS. My dog can't go long in extreme heat without NEEDING

water.
tc68 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the feedback.

boots it is....!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Master Member

We deal with heat and humidity in the summers here, and our schedule shifts to be a long walk from 7-8 am and a long walk from 7-8 pm.
In the afternoon, we go out for a short 15-minute outing or we just train and play in the backyard a bit.

If we do walk on a hot sunny afternoon, we walk in the shade under trees, or we walk on the grass. If we have to cross a street in full sun, we run! (I noticed that my dog was trotting quickly from shady patch to shady patch...ouch, hot paws!) There are some July/August summer afternoons where he has actually poked his head out the front door, felt the heat, and refused to step outside: "Thanks but no thanks, I don't want to walk now!"

So there is a definite adjustment. I would really think about adjusting the activity schedule to be dawn and dusk...much more pleasant for the humans, too.

PS And I love my $7 collapsible water bowl! Just pop it open and pour some water in, easy to bring on a walk.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 04-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM

As far as temperatures in general go, your dogs will adapt fairly well in a few weeks. My dogs are currently living in a van with me, we have insulation, and plenty of airflow but in the day it gets to around 85 degrees where we currently are. They're doing okay, minimal panting, plenty of fresh water at their disposal. Water is key. As for the pavement, I suggest buying dog shoes on Amazon. 115 is a lot for them to adjust to, but provided shoes, shelter/shade and plenty of water, and limiting their time outside, they should be okay!

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

We are about to enter our second summer in Florida - last year with two older dogs it wasn't a problem because they wanted nothing to do with the heat and were happy enough indoors - but this summer we will have a puppy! So planning on early morning, later at night walks!!! Plus I think the dog boots are a great idea for a quick jaunt out into the heat - I still have my old doggie backpack where I keep the water, the collapsible bowls, water mister etc....

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Arkansas - summer - walk late at night - 11 PM or later - still muggy but pavement not a problem.

Wyoming - winter - walk 2 am (which was when the wind quit blowing) temps 0 or less.

Idaho - summer - traveling through - dog area at rest stop was sand. Found my dogs would sit down voluntarily because their butts were well insulated and their paws were not. Quit that and loaded up.

I'm not sure that I'd find a flirt pole indoors workable. My vision of that is rowdy dog, stuff toppled over, etc. Rolling a ball down the hall - that I'd do.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM

My poor black GSD pup has been struggling even in the 80s. Here in Phoenix, it will probably average 100 for the next 5-6 months, so it's going to be a tough adjustment for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page