Security Cameras- suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By thaneydesign
  • 2 Post By Hellish
  • 1 Post By srudenko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Security Cameras- suggestions?

The technology is always getting better so I'm curious to see what people are using these days - I'm looking to install 2-3 security cameras, one with a birds-eye view of my fenced in backyard, one with a birds-eye view of my front yard and door, and another for the side yard (I'll admit it, so I can keep an eye on the chickens).

I'd like to be able to check these remotely with an app on my phone. I'd like the cameras to be triggered by movement and then auto-upload images. That way I could let my dogs enjoy the yard when I am at work, check up on the house, etc.

I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee, if possible, cheaper is better, but I'll pay for quality.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM

We have a bunch of Arlo cameras which are great for watching the dogs (and property). Usually. The wolfdog got a little too curious...

I was able to resuscitate this one but it no longer sees the battery and needs to be located somewhere it can be plugged in.

They can be checked remotely via app, they're motion-triggered, and the videos can be viewed anywhere you are. No monthly fee if you're under a certain number of cameras.

Not sure on price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-28 (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	519533  
Hellish and Saco like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 PM

I am using a CCTV Annke system. DVR unit was pretty cheap on Amazon and it came with 4 cameras and will support 8 plus. It supported the four existing wired cameras I had in place from a 10yr old Q-see brand system. The Q-see system I had was great but then that power surge happened...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Warning - I am a geek by profession so I cant advise on ease of configuration for folks who may not be. I do not have it uploading images.

I do spy on my dog during the day. Usually I see four waving legs in the air as he snoozes on the sofa. I imagine watching chickens would be more thrilling!
Sabis mom and Saco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:25 PM

I would suggest DVR with wired cameras but like Hellish said it's not simple to setup. Mostly because you need to run the wire through the attic, mount cameras, etc. We had someone install ours - 8 cameras outside but they are fixed

Inside the house I use WyzeCam. Now that is extremely easy to setup, cheap and the app + video is great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Saco likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 PM

I like my Ring spotlight cams with siren but I think they have a monthly fee if you want videos available for review. No fee if you just want to check live feeds.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll need to do some research because if I do want a birds-eye view the wiring will be tricky. I may just go with the higher end game cams and recharge batteries, they even have wifi these days, at least for the outdoor cameras. I'll have time this weekend to dig into it a bit more and figure out a few options. Will try to repost what I decide in case anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page