Home Insurance with GSD Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By srudenko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Home Insurance with GSD Dogs

Hi. Just curious as to what home insurance everyone has here with GSDs in the house?

Reason for asking is that I was talking to my insurance agent about shopping around for cheaper options. He told me that I'm grandfathered into a plan with some company whose name I don't recall and they didn't have any aggressive breed exclusion originally. Now that company and all others that he sells do not write policies if you have agressive breed dog.

Now that maybe just the companies he deals with. He doesn't sell policies for mainstream agencies like State Farm, Farmers, Nationwide.

GSD is a common breed and I'm sure there should be alot of insurance companies that don't discriminate.

I need to start looking into those.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM

I am with Progressive and whoever they have for homeowner's currently as the bundle (they changed underwriting on us about 5 months ago). Anything a canine in the home does is exempted from coverage. Not sure I like this provision even if I am diligent in making sure my dog has no opportunity for an encounter. They had never asked prior if there were dogs in the home, nor what kind. Its all in hubby's name and he has declined to shop it around.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 PM

I just checked with mine last week--Allstate. No breed restrictions.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Liberty Mutual generally doesn't have breed restrictions as long as no bite history. Allstate and State Farm vary by state as to whether they do.

USAA also doesn't have breed restrictions but you need some military connection to be eligible...but that could be a father or even grandfather who served in WWII, Korea or Vietnam! They're fabulous, so it's worth asking a family member who served to dig out paperwork for you.

@Hellish, you can get a canine liability policy for about $300-ish per year. I've got a friend who had to do that. It's not ideal, but it's better than not being covered!
car2ner and Hellish like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 03-27-2019 at 07:41 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

So I just checked and my current insurance is through National General. I called Geico and their providers don't have any dog exclusions. They gave me a quote with SageSure

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Knighted Member

We are also with Progressive and the underwriter just changed. We just received notice on the house we're selling that the policy will be cancelled 05-01-19 due to the German Shepherds. Our closing is planned before then but this was out of the blue.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
We are also with Progressive and the underwriter just changed. We just received notice on the house we're selling that the policy will be cancelled 05-01-19 due to the German Shepherds. Our closing is planned before then but this was out of the blue.
That is crazy especially on an existing policy. You would think they would grandfather you in.

This just doesn't make sense. These insurance companies should worry more about stupid aggressive people and not dogs

ksotto333 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

AMICA...no restrictions.....great company...

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

There have been several threads about home owners insurance in the past. Info is often conflicting. Some will say insurance company ABC doesn't have breed restrictions and others will say they do. The truth is it is not only the insurance company but the state you live in that matters. Every state has different regulations. So say State Farm doesn't have breed restrictions in Massachusetts but they do in Arizona for example. The best and only way to find out is to call/inquire to insurance agencies in you area.
Personal experience: People on this forum have stated that Nationwide/State Farm do not have breed restrictions. I know for a fact they do in the state I live in as I inquired anonymously and was told they do not cover aggressive breeds outright. The only option would be to have a liability rider policy to cover an aggressive dog breed at an exorbitant price.
Do your homework when it comes to liability insurance. The only reliable source is the insurance companies in your location.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page