Thoughts...adding a 2nd GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts...adding a 2nd GSD

I'm excited to say the least that I have a deposit on my next female GSD and she's expected to be born sometime in the next week or so. She'll be #4 that I'll have raised from 8 weeks old.

However, today I received an unexpected call from my local vet. Apparently they have a client that needs to re-home a 2 yo intact female GSD due to the owner having a baby on the way and another young child that has become allergic to dogs. This is about all I know so far, but I do intend on finding out more specifics before I commit. One of my vets assistants did say the dog is house broken, crate trained, well behaved and is somewhat of a hi drive.

For the last couple years I've given serious thought about adding a 2nd GSD to my life, but figured it'd be on my terms and I'd know when the time is right. Bu now that one has been put in my lap so to speak, I want to be sure I make the right decision and not just react on a whim. I say 'whim' because in a way I feel my hand is being forced to react. For one thing, I wasn't expecting the 'right time' to just show up at my doorstep like this one has. I know 100% in my mind and my heart I want a 2nd one, so no worries there. I'm also confident that I can handle the additional financial responsibilities as well. Plus now that I've taken an early retirement due to my knee injury, I can devote all the time needed for raising/training 2 GSD's and have the ideal rural property to do so.

But...is it wise to raise 2 females, 2 yrs of age apart? I've heard/read that a 2 yr age difference is a good starting point, but I'm not so sure about both being females. All my previous were girls, so I'm no stranger to that sex. But 2 of them together?? My thoughts are that I have at least 2 months before I bring home the new pup. So in that time, the 2 yo and I should become well acquainted and she would become familiar with her new home and the surroundings. Plus I would think if she already has some training, the 2 months would be more than enough time for her to transition from her current owners training commands to mine. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Besides the raising 2 females part, I would sincerely appreciate hearing pros & cons, dos and don'ts, the good bad and ugly about transitioning from one GSD to 2...especially from the multi dog owners and those who went from one to two. I have a fairly good idea of what I'm about to face if I do choose to accept this 2 yo. But in case I'm over looking something, I'd like to hear from those of you that have more experience with this matter.

Any and all related experiences are welcome!!
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 AM
Elite Member

My personal preference would be to skip on the 2 year old female. I'd rather raise a puppy, and wait till it's fully matured and I'm confident it would be a good role model for a second dog.

I'm resistant to pressure if I think someone's trying to manipulate me. I take my time to make a decision. The 2 year old shouldn't be hard to rehome. The dog isn't your problem. Raising a puppy, especially through the adolescent stage, is at times really tough. I wouldn't do it.

But that's me...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

I would also wait. The vets office maybe knew you were looking to add a dog to your home just tell them you already picked out a pup or if you wish to get an adult instead of a pup that is up to you. same sex not always and especially female do not mesh well - not by my own experience but so often with stories on this forum or animal shelters. Life has to be really altered if you have to crate and rotate depending on one’s situation or wants. It is the main reason also why dogs often get rehomed in a busy household. Choose wisely. It really is enjoyable when you have peace in the home and your dogs can not only coexist but actually enjoy each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Elite Member

I have two males that I crate and rotate because they don't get along well. It's just part of our daily routine now. But most likely, I will never again get two same sex GSDs. Some people do it without a problem though.
Saco likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

I would take one or the other. Not both. You don't have time to bond with the 2 year old before the puppy cones and that's not fair to her.

Personally, I never want two females at the same time ever again. Bitches make stitches.
sit,stay, tc68, Femfa and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jax08; 03-26-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Knighted Member

I personally would pass on the adult. I prefer to train and socialize the dog the way I want her trained and socialized. I'm also a giant control freak. So unless it was a breeder I really trusted to know what I liked, I wouldn't be into taking an adult placement.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM

It depends on the 2 yo female. I may be the odd one out but I adopted 3 adult GSDs in one year about 10 years ago. 2 females and 1 male. Nuts, right? Actually it was the BEST thing I ever did. They were all rescues and wonderful dogs. The females did get into it a few times at first but learned to live together just fine for the rest of their lives. I miss them both terribly as they both passed away last year though we still have the male who is 15 yo. I also have a 1 yo male and a 3 yo female now. They really enjoy each other's company and play all the time.
tc68, Jax08 and MineAreWorkingline like this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:57 PM

I'd get one or the other. Personally I bet the 2 year old dog will probably be a project dog. Allergies and new baby is generally (not always) but generally an excuse of a person who doesn't have time or enjoy the dog they have. So 2 year old intact female probably has some sort of training you'll have to do and need work to get her to where you want and in two months with a puppy you have a deposit on combined with the increase incidence of female/female aggression in GSD I'd say it's not worth it. If I was in your place I'd pass on the adult female.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

I would suggest meeting with the adult dog before making any decisions. She just might be the perfect dog you always dreamed of.

I think things can go either way with same sex females, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and you will have to either crate and rotate or rehome one. Is there any chance of moving your deposit from a female pup to a male pup?

If it weren't for two females, I say this is easily doable.
tc68 and Saco like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:04 PM

Iíve perused many an ad (just to look) and I cannot tell you how many dogs are out of a home because their people decide they 1. Cannot put forth the effort to find living arrangements that accommodates their dog(s) or 2. Decide to pop out a baby. I realize children take tons of work, but as someone who has grown up always with dogs in the house fail to understand why itís such a deal breaker? Dogs can be very adjustable. I feel itís all just an excuse at the heart of it.

I wouldnít be so dead set on the older dog before even meeting her. If you do meet and like her, what are the odds you can change your puppy plans to a male?
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page