Men vs. women. Just my curiosities, just for fun. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Men vs. women. Just my curiosities, just for fun.

Ok, so I have noticed something, and I am curious about everyone else thoughts and experiences.

I noticed that it's mostly men that are hesitant about Dean.
Sitting in the grocery store parking lot yesterday and today, in the truck, with the window down, and Dean hanging his head out the window, but very visibly on lead with me holding it, men would avoid eye contact with me, go way around the truck, ect. But women would call out to me about how cute, or handsome, or what ever they thought he is. The would ask to pet him, really had no problem being around him. It got me thinking back. It's always been men that cross the street when they see Dean (Who walks nice by the way, he isn't a growling, snarly, mess, nor is he running around, jumping, being a bum. He's by my side) It's men that ask if he is ok with people. And my mom brought up the time Kim, my sister, was in the woods alone with her two bull terriers, when some guy pulled up on a 4 wheeler, got off, and asked if her dogs bite. She replied only if I tell them to, and he got back on his four wheeler and left.
So it got me thinking why? Why would the men be the ones to act this way? Now obviously not all men lol I have had a few want to pet him and such. I would just assume that it would be the other way around I guess. I don't think they have bad intentions at all. When we were in the truck waiting for my mom to come out of the grocery store, they were literally just going to do some shopping, but they were still avoiding eye contact with me, and all that. It's just something I noticed that happens more than would be coincidence.
I've tried to google it, but all that comes up is dogs afraid of men.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:50 PM

I believe in general, men just aren’t as interested as women are to stop a stranger to talk about their dog. My boyfriend loves our dogs, but if we are out in public he never wants to stop so I can pet someone’s dog or talk to them about it. Women also don’t see themselves being perceived as a potential threat, men may avoid you and your dog because maybe they think your dog would find them intimidating and potentially act out? Maybe they’ve had personal experiences where they just feel more comfortable going about their own way. There’s a lot of variables that can be at play.
Datura likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Master Member

In my experience, the squealing groups of teenage girls are the scariest!
They so desperately want to come and LOVE on your dog, they want to surround him and pet him and he is just the CUTEST dog ever...well, with my dog that would be a nightmare.
(disclaimer: I am the mom of a teenage girl myself, so this is nothing against them, ha..I just know about the level of energy and noise they can hit... )

Followed by teenage girls are the smaller kids. Often they will come over and ask to pet.

Then, other women, who are usually content with chitchat: "What a beautiful dog! What breed is he?" I think they feel more relaxed with me because I am also a woman.

And lastly, men - who usually ignore both of us.
I think they are less likely to enjoy starting small talk, less likely to gush over animals, and also think that approaching a woman might be considered threatening.
The only men that approach us are usually dog-owners themselves.
wolfy dog and Datura like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Master Member

This is an interesting topic.

Iíve had both men and women stop their cars or yell out of their car that my dog is beautiful or nice. But in a car...lol.

Approaching me on the street is something else. Iím working on my dogís leash reactivity so Iím pretty unapproachable. I walk fast and keep to myself.

However, I agree with the above. Teen girls and college age girls are the worst. They approach Dexter no matter what assuring me that all dogs love them.

When Iím walking him on the street, most people avoid me or cross the street. Women are more likely to talk to me. Men keep their distance and side-eye him. Which, as a female walking alone, Iím fine with. I like that he is a visual deterrent.
Datura likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Men pretty much avoid or ignore us.Samson prefers to avoid and ignore them tooWomen are more likely to want to talk and pet.
Datura likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
But women would call out to me about how cute, or handsome, or what ever they thought he is. .

Never had a guy say my dog was "cute"......just doesn't happen......guessing it's a Y chromosome thing.......

SuperG
Datura likes this.

HŁndin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Never had a guy say my dog was "cute"......just doesn't happen......guessing it's a Y chromosome thing.......

SuperG
She's such a sweet wittle babeee...wanna hug her
SuperG and Datura like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
She's such a sweet wittle babeee...wanna hug her

Okay.....that made me laugh.....

SuperG
dogma13 and Datura like this.

HŁndin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Lots of people of all sexes compliment my Jupiter--he has a sleek black coat, and he's a puppy.

I have met plenty of dogs whose owner says they don't much care for men. The other scary demographic is children. They run, they squeal, they hug, they kiss, and they disobey.
Datura likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

I have the opposite problem, men make me nuts in the head.

Plus when I walk my dogs it's always men who need to "help", or advise, or pet, or grab, or otherwise exert their maleness in my space.
It was always men that wanted to pet Sabs. She was not a fan of men in my personal space.
It was always men who wanted to pet Bud. He was not a fan of people in general, men in particular, or men who wanted to touch him specifically.
It is always men who grab at Shadow as we pass, or try to help me control her when I am holding her because they are hanging over us trying to pet her.
It is always men who offer advice, it is always men that "all dogs like". And it is always men who bark at the dogs when they pass.
I seem to always be near men who do not understand NO. Sadly they never seem to grasp that I am protecting them. Alternate uses for the prong frequently cross my mind.
Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page