Men vs. women. Just my curiosities, just for fun. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM

I can't say if I've noticed much of a trend either way yet. (I've had Zage for less than a year)

I do think I could count on one hand the times I've noticed someone cross the street to avoid us! A couple of those times, I suspected it may be culture-related. At least one was because someone else had a dog who looked stressed; I was ready to turn down a side street, but they crossed over first.

We're working on Zage's public behavior/general socialization to new situations (normal situations). Because of this, I always try to exude an attitude of "all business" and keep our walking pretty brisk, and/or am very intent on the engagement games we play off to the side of busier areas.

I also have her wear a harness with "In Training" patches on it, which has honestly saved us quite a few "drive by pettings." (I'm very thankful people see the harness and do a double-take, or just completely ignore us - that's been a major help for Zage and managing her thresholds) Of those "almost" drive by pettings, they were about 50/50 teen/young adult men and women. Although, one of the guys was pretty intent on petting until the young woman walking next to him physically reached out and stopped his arm, pointing out Zage's harness.

Honestly, for the most part, any interactions we've had have been really positive, either people ignore us, or they very politely ask to pet (or direct their children to ask, thank goodness!). And everyone has been very respectful when I reply with a "sorry, she's not friendly. But thanks for asking!"

(I also quietly enjoy anytime I hear a younger kid exclaim to their guardian "WOW, look!! a police dog!)
Datura likes this.

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 AM

I suspect much of it has to do with the appearance of the dog itself. My big-boy with his red and black markings and long hair literally has stopped traffic. OK, traffic was very light but people of both sexes have stopped their cars to say that they like how handsome he is. Then they look at my gal, who is a smaller typical black and tan, and follow with "and you are cute too" as if to not hurt her feelings. I chuckle.

Men, especially those walking little dogs, look over and smile from across the street. They may answer "good morning" if I say it first. If women or men have children with them, they tend to move away. If my husband is walking our boy he might encourage a timid child to come over and say hello. He will almost always let young ladies say hi to our big-boy. All that fur works like a chick-magnet. LADIES, Bend From The Waste if you have a sundress on! We have stories and we share them (but no names).

I will say that if we are standing around and strike up a conversation, for instance at the farmer's market, people will chat about dogs for up to a half an hour! All genders.
Datura likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Elite Member

Hmmm. Well, I get compliments from men, not avoidance. Like car2ner said, it could be his looks. He is a man's dog looking dog. He has exceptionally broad shoulders and a dude face lol At 27.5 inches and now 96 lbs men usually stop and go "whoah...nice". But they don't touch. They do give space. Sometimes they ask to pet. Valor is cool with friendly interaction with structure and permission.

What he doesn't like is strangers rushing at him, squealing, arms flailing...or surprise pets from behind, or random people smushing his face and saying whoseagoodboywhoseagoodboy. It is up to me to make sure that doesn't happen. Number one, he hates it, why should he endure it? And number 2..he doesn't back up. He is forward defensive. At this point I think it would take a quite a bit to push him to executing a strong "bark off" in someone's face so I feel like it is pretty easy for me to stop it before it gets there. But, who is most likely to do these things? Women either alone or with other adults and female teens. Women with children usually ask to pet etc. The irony being he would not care if a toddler threw his arms around his neck. He loves little kids and puppies. The minute you start smelling like teen spirit though, you have crossed to the other side. You are off the island of free love lol

So OP- In *general* I find women to be friendlier, yes..but not in a good way. I find men to be interested but respectful of space. The only time I have noticed people giving cautious berth is when someone is walking another dog, or a family with littles.
car2ner and Datura like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Every male we come across for the most part are terrified of both my dogs. Women on the other hand gawk and want to pet them. We were in NOLA yesterday, and 99% of the grown men were scared for no reason. Tons of women came up to us though, and children. Homeless people liked them too haha.

One guy yesterday, who was probably the only one not iffy on Jax, asked how much he weighed. I told him and he said "Wow, he's only 2lbs less than me". I said "he's just very oversized for his breed" and his friend said "Nah, this dude is just undersized for a person". aha
car2ner, Datura and Judy Untamed like this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
...He will almost always let young ladies say hi to our big-boy. All that fur works like a chick-magnet. LADIES, Bend From The Waste if you have a sundress on! We have stories and we share them (but no names).
LOL!! What a mental vision. Never thought about that aspect of dog petting!
Datura likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Knighted Member

I would say most women I encounter with my dog either ignore her or want to make friends. It's pretty even. I don't run into many women who act afraid of her.

Men tend to fall into a few major camps. There are the guys who are sincerely appreciative of the dog, often guys who grew up with GSDs and who ask to meet her because they're considering one of their own. There are the jerks; these are the guys who seem to instantly give me hotness points for having a big scary dog (often at the expense of their wives or girlfriends who are standing RIGHT THERE with their lab or small toy breed), or the morons who try to mansplain my own breed to me in an attempt to impress me. Unfortunately I meet a lot of jerks. I really don't like those guys. Then there are the guys who very obviously give me a nice wide berth and who seem a little nervous about her.

So either way it's a mix within each respective sex, but going on sheer numbers, I'd say I run across more men who are afraid of her than women.
Sabis mom, clipke and Datura like this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisNative View Post
Teen girls and college age girls are the worst.

Teen girls are the worst.....some anyway.....who can be scared the most and shriek the loudest.....freaked my pup out for a second or three......not gonna do that one again........LOL.

SuperG
Datura likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

We usually avoid peopley areas, but do find ourselves among the humans when the better trails are still snowed in as they currently are. Last weekend Zoey was swarmed by a large group of teenagers, mostly female. We were crossing a narrow swinging bridge at a nearby trail and got caught just past halfway. The encounter was just as others have discribed with several of them screetching puppy! Puppy! Puppy! Zoey obviously didn't strike fear in any of them.
Datura likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Teen girls are the worst.....some anyway.....who can be scared the most and shriek the loudest.....freaked my pup out for a second or three......not gonna do that one again........LOL.

SuperG

Thank God my big-boy is very confident. We took our dogs to D.C. on nice spring day a couple of years ago. My gal was still a very young pup. It seemed that many high-schools planned end of the year field trips to D.C. that day. Huge groups of teenagers, instead of saying "look at all the history" said "look at that dog!" My hubby and boy got swarmed at the Roosevelt memorial walk. I took my pup and stayed well out of the way. She was way to young to deal with that throng. After the swarm spread out and went on its way we gave the dogs plenty of space to decompress.
Thank goodness they didn't shriek. At least they had that respect for the area.
Datura likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

The outside world Either through conversations or experienced few extremes types of people and then the real knowledgeable dog people. Men or women it has been equal in my opinion. When Luna was a pup I actually witness people cross the street or path seeing her because she was clearly a gsd pup with her coloring -to them for their own misguided reasons- these being mostly women. Or people think all dogs are all golden doodles or a softer dog type and want to smother them with attention - physically and these people just lack boundaries. I find these type of people unpredictable and really unkowledgable about dogs when they open their mouths up- they think they are though. they are the unpredictable ones and I make sure I keep my dogs away from these type of people. I had these type of people stare down my dogs. The dogs sense it and so do I. My favorite people- are the knowledgeable dog people- they just have the silent understanding of personal space and respect the boundaries, the warm up and understand not all dogs trust complete strangers rushing to getting all in their space and do not need to lol!

Men like big dogs but some that I see with little dogs I have witnessed I assume they are the far most confident in their skin and do not need extensions. Lol!

Max is not a dog that enjoys people who are strangers to me -in his face -which to me is understandable. The strangers that are real knowledgeable dog people he gets and likes. I always get compliments on my dogs they are gorgeous animals. I have given out their information who their breeders were a few times when running into people men women on the opposite end I had a women scream when they saw me and max in a pet store once she screamed and slithered away I had to laugh as max looked at me like wtf???? I may have said it out loud what he was thinking. I did tell her to relax we are in a PET store. When at the at the beach pavilion getting lunch I had a women scream when she saw Luna. These are the minority’s though and just the two situations that just stuck and remember. We took the dogs to the beach on a summer night and was talking to a band singer about their gsd. Lots of gsd people are found at beaches and or on hikes or gsd stories about their dogs.

Luna also not caring much to have strangers in her face even though more socially outgoing she will go with the flow more happy and adjust - for instance - When we are at the vet I think she runs up to staff just to say please don’t hurt me it’s her charmed strategy at the vets office she knows there is no other way. Max will be more like be done and I’m not your friend.

Often they both attract lots of gsd stories. My first gsd I remember being hunted down a few times people wanting to breed him mostly men. One time a pit bull owner. One was a brother whose sister was a canine officer. One time I was being followed in a truck it was a bit crazy all for my dog lol! He was never your average gsd. I still have not seen any like him or even close back then or today.
Datura likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-27-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page