Grass or really good turf - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Grass or really good turf

What are your thoughts on either grass or turf when it comes to having dog/s?

I bought a house that had turf in the backyard and I had to remove and replace it with natural grass ASAP. The turf became too hot for my dogs paws. The urine smell was hard to get rid of and cleaning it wasn’t easy. Now I have natural grass and it’s usually brown or patchy. It’s been 2years and my yard has never been fully green even after buying and trying to maintain fresh sod. This year I might hire a landscaper to see if they can upkeep it. I even took the advice of a horticulturist which didn’t help for the natural grass. The park next to us always has dogs running around and that grass remains thick and green. Maybe I’ll contact the city and ask what’s their secret. Thoughts on turf versus natural?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Ok in mh world "turf" means natural grass. As I translate this post, I think you are talking about artificial turf. I wouldn't have it. Right now my lawn's a soggy brownish/greenish/yellowish mess -- like a shag carpet that was trashed. The green in my lawn is a lot of plantain and black medic and dandelion - some blades of grass, yes but plenty of the other stuff. I contemplated weed&feed but I like to be able to have my dogs on it a lot of the time and in summer I turn the horse loose to dry off after a bath. Couldn't do that with chemicals on the lawn.

I had nice grass in my lawn in Arkansas. Then I got a puppy. It was a large yard but she managed to "thatch" the grass. So there are my thoughts and my experience. Natural grass. Artificial turf -- is just junk.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 AM
Elite Member

With respect to the turf at the park, not all dog breeds tear up lawn like a german shepherd. The city probably water the park's grass each night. I've thought about artificial turf and have decided against it, for the reasons you said, and a few more. I limit high impact playing with my dog (frisbee) to one area of my yard, it looks terrible. It's either dust or mud.

I'm considering landscaping the frisbee area to look like a natural riverbed, with appropriate plants along the perimeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM

Having a nice yard is a struggle for many of us. I call what I have in my yard, "ground cover". For me, to try to maintain a beautiful lush grass lawn would be a waste of time and money and water, especially since we haven't ended the hunting of moles and voles (big yard). I have actually given up trying to grow grass under my shade trees. I have mulched under there with the fall leaves (chopped and shredded) and then shaved pine chips. Who knows, with all the rain we have been having the grass might actually like this. Part of my yard is mossy, which I personally like if it can hold up to the abuse for running paws.

I know that some companies have designed artificial turf for dog owners but I would only consider that for small spaces or maybe on a steep hill where cutting grass or "ground cover" would be difficult.
Shane'sDad likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

I hope to have a fairly nice looking lawn for the first time since becoming a GSD owner. I am going to fence off half of the yard for the dogs. The rest will be for my (and my guests') enjoyment...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM

No advice--I'm trying to let the conservancy behind me expand into my back yard, b/c it should not even be grass. My sister had 2 coonhounds in her yard in FL and no amount of care saved it. If you are really frustrated, consider an internal fence for a "dog free zone" and landscape that to your heart's delight. Or, limit the time your dogs are in the yard--act as though you don't have a yard and get their exercise as other folks without a fenced yard must do. I'm relieved that this is one thing I just don't care about, b/c I'd get all twitchy if I did. Good luck and sorry I'm no help.
car2ner likes this.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Having a nice yard is a struggle for many of us. I call what I have in my yard, "ground cover". For me, to try to maintain a beautiful lush grass lawn would be a waste of time and money and water, especially since we haven't ended the hunting of moles and voles (big yard). I have actually given up trying to grow grass under my shade trees. I have mulched under there with the fall leaves (chopped and shredded) and then shaved pine chips. Who knows, with all the rain we have been having the grass might actually like this. Part of my yard is mossy, which I personally like if it can hold up to the abuse for running paws.

I know that some companies have designed artificial turf for dog owners but I would only consider that for small spaces or maybe on a steep hill where cutting grass or "ground cover" would be difficult.

I agree it's a yearly battle...the more dogs you have = bigger battle....younger/active dogs = bigger/ constant battle...if you have moles/ voles & dogs who love to dig = bigger battle....I started grass from nothing where we live and it took around five years to start to look like something worth talking about....with LOTS of seeding--aerating --de-thatching--fertilizing and over seeding thrown in over time---basically just like a "perfect dog" lots of time and effort....this year for me the back yard with the monsoon we've had---is a mud bog--so I have my work cut out for me.

In your case I'm not sure how much help you'll get from the city-probably depend on luck AND who you talk to.....try contacting a college near you usually with "Tech" in their name--many will analyze a soil sample that you send them and give you a report of what you need to add to your soil to make it "healthier" for growing...or as you said a reputable & professional landscaping company should be able to help you....I've always enjoyed doing it myself...again just like the "perfect dog" it can be very satisfying .
car2ner likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

I had somewhere between 3 and 9 shepherds for years. My lawn looked great but here is what I learned.
I used a Kentucky bluegrass mix for its weed resistance and found that golf courses are a great source of info for what will fare well in your area. I watered. A fair bit because healthy grass stands up if it's struggling the dogs will trash it. Healthy soil is a must. I also re seeded at least once a year. Just spread the seed over the lawn.
I also raised my mower height. Not enough to attract mosquitoes but high enough to prevent summer heat burning up the grass.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

I'm ready to give up on grass and just naturalize the backyard with hardy, dog-friendly native plants ....it will probably better for the collapsing beneficial insect populations and less work once established...I hope.

One of the secrets of "perfect" lawns is that some of those lawn services actually spray green coloring on them to make them look fresh each week. Seriously. My mom had a service called chem-lawn or something like that doing that at her house. She had a good sense of humor about it -- her technicolor lawn.

Last edited by Magwart; 03-24-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Hmm I like the idea of the wood chips used in playgrounds that someone mentioned. I would like greenery but if we decide to sell then I could always get some nice grass put in for appeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page