Teenager behaviour or something else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole
  • 3 Post By Misha111

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Teenager behaviour or something else?

Hi everyone,

Some of you remember that we got our lovely boy Griffin on November 9th from Carissima Kennels. So far, he is a great dog. He listens to me and my husband very well and follows me around like my shadow when I am home. He listens somewhat to the kids (8 1/2, almost 6 and almost 3yrs old) and he loves them to pieces! He stopped nipping at their sleeves which was a concern when we first got him. He will be 17 months on Monday.
So my concern is: sometimes, he does things he knows he is not allowed to do... on purpose. For exemple, we come back from a 90 min walk/ run and I can tell he is tired. He will lay on the deck in the sun outside while I'm in the kitchen having lunch or something. I go out of sight for a few minutes and I come back and he has pulled the bbq cover off and he is trying to chew it. I think it's just to test us... Is that possible or is it something else?
He also scratches at the patio door to come in, which drives me nuts and it's ruining the wood and glass. Any suggestions to get him to stop? I have tried a stern NO and that works as long as I'm standing right there but if I turn my back... forget it. He can be out for 30 seconds but if there is not one of us outside with him, he wants in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Master Member

Get a spring loaded mouse trap and tape it to the door with some duct tape where he scratches and where he is grabbing the cover. It might just take one time of the spring going off or it might take a few for him to stop.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM

For the door, teach him to ring bells. Be forewarned: he may go through a stage where he rings them constantly just b/c he can. You have to open the door each time. Of course, you can just refuse to let him back out if he starts doing the in-and-out thing, unless he is already trained to let you know he needs to go out to potty. Then you have to let him out every time he asks, and have to let him in every time he lasts. I couldn't hold steady in this stage; my dog rang the bell 5-10 times in an hour for a few days after he learned, and I gave up. He "asks" to go out by waiting at the door, but it's not as fun without the bells so it's a lot less often now.

As for chewing, I'd say just don't leave him unattended. Young dogs like to chew and are easily bored. I don't care how many toys you leave; chances are, if you leave him unattended, he will find the one thing he is not supposed to chew and will give it a go. "Experimentation" is common to teens, after all.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM

It's not that he knows what he is not allowed to do, he knows what he can get away with. If he can't be trusted to sunbathe on the deck unattended then that is a privilege he has to earn. When you come back from a walk, keep him with you. Teach him the 'place' command (a life saver as far as living with my 'busy' girl was concerned) whether that be on a cushion or in a crate. Chances are he will just go to sleep.
As far as scratching to come in, there will be other members that can give you advice on that. I don't tend to shut the door when my dogs are out. GSD's love to be with you. I'm hard pushed to close a toilet door on my girl lol
dogbyte, Kyrielle and Datura like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page