Kong Goodie Bones - Counterfeit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Kong Goodie Bones - Counterfeit?

I have used Kong Goodie Bones for years as a fetch and chew toy for my pups. I buy the black "Extreme" Kongs - medium size, as the large ones can be quite heavy. I shop around for the best prices as they seem to have gotten quite expensive in recent times. My concern is that the last two batches I have purchased have been destroyed by the pups very quickly. After three bones bit the dust in about as many days, I decided that I would not let them have the bones to chew on in between runs or during breaks. Today I looked at the bone I was using and saw that it was already starting to tear along the horizontal bar that connects the two ends. This was only the second time I have used it for playing fetch. So basically, I throw - the dog runs and catches it - retrieves it (maybe chomping occasionally while they run) - then when they arrive we play tug with it for a few seconds before the bone is dropped and I repeat this activity with the other dog. There's been almost no time for them to have actually chewed on it. So.....

Either Kong quality has gone to the bottom... or.... someone is making counterfeits and selling them as good ole, made in the USA Kongs. Has anyone else had similar issues? Does anyone make a more durable product that I could use for fetch? I can't use balls because we live on a hill and the balls will roll into the woods where I don't want them to go during games. I also don't want to use wooden sticks because they are too hard for being caught with the teeth. Still if there are other products similar but more durable than Kong, I'd like to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

The chuck it -bumpers are good to throw for a game of fetch- they are light non abrasive on teeth and perfect for water fetch. They are really are meant to be used for fetch and will not last long playing tug of war. Balls with a rope don’t have a tendency to roll as much. There are rubber type sticks that are made to look like a stick but safe they are durable but a bit heavy.
techinstructor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions Jenny. I used to use Chuckit balls, but made the mistake of letting my 2 year old have it to play with in the house. She ate almost the whole ball one night once she got a little hole in it. I mean she literally ate it and didn't poop out the last piece until 3 months (and an ultrasound) later. So I've learned not to leave the toys around once they make any progress with chewing on it.

Chuckit seems to have quite a few new (or at least new to me) products. The bumpers might be a good choice. I'll check one out.

I had also considered using a Kong ball with a cotton rope through it. I think they might hold up better than the bones. I just hate that the quality of the Kong bones has gone down so low. We used to use a Kong bone for months before having to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page