Runt of the litter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Runt of the litter?

So I chose to buy the runt of a litter and will be picking up in a week or so. I would like to know what the health complications can be for the runts, specially since the pup weighs a little over 6 pounds at 6 and a half weeks. I don't expect it to be easy, I would just like some help and tips as to help the situation. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:15 AM

My gal-dog wasn't a runt but she was the smallest of a litter of 11. She is cautious, having been knocked around by 10 bigger siblings the first 7 weeks of her life. That is why I chose her. I needed a less impulsive pup.

Make sure you show your pup the world in a safe calm way. Try not to overwhelm the little guy. If the world is a safe and interesting place your pup should flourish. My gal has no health problems and because of her smaller size is fast and agile.
Jlgc likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 AM

Runts Can Surprise You Sometimes...

Sometimes the runts will surprise you and turn into a monster when more mature.

Of course, other times they will just always be a smaller dog.

Itís a roll of the dice.

6 pounds at 6 1/2 weeks is light for sure but not totally out of the range. How is their poo? Any diarrhea? How many times per day do they eat? What diet are they on? Do the other puppies let this dog eat? Is the breeder making sure they all get good food, or do they just drop a plate and run?

These are bigger questions, especially considering you have already decided on this dog.

Best,

Jason
WorldGermanShepherds.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I have gotten most of my puppies at around 9 weeks of age. They averaged 8 - 10#. Most of them grew to be the high end of the standard or oversized. Your pup's weight sounds fine for its age. I would not worry.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

My Zoe was the smallest in her litter, but I don’t think it had any influence on her health or temperament. She turned out to be about 70 lbs and is very athletic, she easily runs circles around our other three gsds. 70 lbs is at the high end of the standard for females, I would prefer a smaller gsd in the future.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 PM

In the range....

Here is photo from basically the bible of the GSD, "The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture" from Captain Max von Stephanitz, published 1923. It shows the range for a 6 week old puppy to be average 9 lbs 11 oz. Highest is 12 lbs 4 oz, lowest to be 5 lbs, 9 oz. As mentioned, your dog is in the range. Time will tell.

Please pay attention to their diet and their bowel movements. No other single indicator is as important as a healthy bowel movement.

Best,

JG
https://www.WorldGermanShepherds.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weights.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	519067  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmoralesan View Post
So I chose to buy the runt of a litter and will be picking up in a week or so. I would like to know what the health complications can be for the runts, specially since the pup weighs a little over 6 pounds at 6 and a half weeks. I don't expect it to be easy, I would just like some help and tips as to help the situation. Thanks for your time.
The term runt has a couple of different meanings. Is it simply the smallest of the litter or is it really abnormally small? As long as the breeder has supported it and it has received proper nutrition and care there should be no impact and about half the time the smallest pups end up the biggest dogs.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

One of mine was the smallest "runt" of the litter but by 8 weeks, she was not to be pushed around. She grew up to be a dog that was "thin" at 90+ lbs. And that wasn't fat - she was very round, barrel chested - a bit of a tank. Lived to be over 10, died of hemangio. Had blown a cruciate but no other health issues.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:22 PM

My pup was the smallest of the litter, 15lbs at almost 10 / 11 weeks. She's now 75lbs at just over 1 year old. Her growth has slowed significantly, so I don't expect her to grow much at all now, but she is a good balanced and large size for a female. The main issue I had with her was that she wasn't much interested in eating as a young pup, she just wanted to run and play non-stop. Plenty of energy from day one, no significant health issues. I think that she just wasn't a big eater, but she definitely caught up in the end!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 AM
Crowned Member

There usually is no difference in runt/smallest pup than the others as they grow up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in