Big & Little Dog friendships? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

@kaydub_u

Thanks!

Yea, sounds like you are doing a great job with Obi all around! :-)
kaydub_u likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

High prey drive is no excuse to "mistake" its own kind as prey. IMO, that falls under not wired right. Cannibalism for food is exceedingly rare in the animal kingdom and not a normal trait of dogs.

I would be more concerned with the size disparity and your dog's willingness and ability to downsize its play to match the small dog.
atomic likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM

I agree with the above. My dogs even though all are large, have never mistaken another dog for anything but another dog no matter it’s size. One of my not so stellar neighbors has a little Dachschund that runs freely and comes over to my house often, my dogs are very interested in “Miss Weenie” but never treat her like prey or anything except a “peculiar” little dog. If your dogs are leashed and supervised I don’t see there being a problem with going on walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

My gsd gets along fine with my jack Russel.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydub_u View Post
I completely agree with this. I have a 13 year old Yorkie and my 10 month old German Shepherd puppy. When we got him our GSD was smaller than our Yorkie, now he is about 80 pounds compared to my Yorkie that is 10 pounds. I wanted it this way so our Yorkie started out bigger than him and felt more assured, but as our GSD grew it would be normal to our Yorkie, he saw him slowly get bigger and so was always comfortable. Obi is extremely gentle with little dogs, but we have raised him since he was 8 weeks old to be this way. He knows he is not allowed to play physically with our Yorkie in any way. We were very strict about this, if he tried to play with our Yorkie we would correct him and then play with him instead since it was only natural and he deserved the fun he was looking for in a way that I approved. Now he creates his own little games instead, like barking at our Yorkie and trying to get him to chase him and things like that. Obi loves chase. In his puppy classes they taught us how to read little things in dogs body languages for when they are playing with other dogs, etc. We have put in a lot of time to make sure we feel safe with him and our little dog. They still are not left alone unsupervised. Even by 12 weeks Obi was big enough to paw at our Yorkie and potentially hurt him by just being a playful puppy. I think it is a great idea to just do the walks for now. Maybe it'll help their dog also be comfortable with large breeds. But either way, enjoy the time
I have pretty much the same situation, except that I have two GSD puppies, 10 months old, the smallest of which is 80 pounds. The other is over 100. We also have a ten pound terrier we have had for a year or so before the pups arrived. The pups were about 15 pounds each when they came home.

We have never limited their contact in any way. The terrier runs the show in no uncertain terms and it is not uncommon to see her pin the 80-pound dog to the floor. Nobody gets hurt.

Same basic experience as I had with my last 170 pound male GSD and the 14 pound cocker spaniel. Dogs are actually pretty intelligent about the way they play with each other.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I have pretty much the same situation, except that I have two GSD puppies, 10 months old, the smallest of which is 80 pounds. The other is over 100. We also have a ten pound terrier we have had for a year or so before the pups arrived. The pups were about 15 pounds each when they came home.

We have never limited their contact in any way. The terrier runs the show in no uncertain terms and it is not uncommon to see her pin the 80-pound dog to the floor. Nobody gets hurt.

Same basic experience as I had with my last 170 pound male GSD and the 14 pound cocker spaniel. Dogs are actually pretty intelligent about the way they play with each other.
I wish my Shepherd could play with our Yorkie. He loves playing. But our Yorkie just hates it. I think the home he lived in before we adopted him was just not a good one. I don't think he ever learned to play. No reaction to toys or any excitement if we try to get him wound up. The closest he gets to playing is chasing around Obi cause he gets nosey haha. They are fine living together, eating, walks, etc, but playing just never works out. I agree though, they are so smart. It's funny how different they will play from one dog to another. I'm excited for when I eventually get my next Shepherd and how they interact 🙂
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

It's so variable with different dogs. I've known a few who weren't safe around little dogs. I've also known several who really liked them. One friend has 3 GSDs and her "bad-attitude Yorkie" rules them all.

I once went to a shelter to pull a magnificent, large, sable female GSD for the rescue. I found a matted Shihtzu curled up in the kennel with her. They were a bonded pair whose owner died. So we took the little one into GSD breed rescue too--they were inseparable, so we decided they needed to find a home together. They were an odd pair!
kaydub_u likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Aw, that is so cute!!
I would love to have a friend for Rumo but husband has drawn the line at one dog...it was hard enough to talk him into one! ( although he had now become rumo’s slave...it’s pretty funny :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=kaydub_u;9150813 I think the home he lived in before we adopted him was just not a good one. I don't think he ever learned to play. [/QUOTE]

You might enjoy a little book by Pat Miller called Play with Your Dog (Dogwise Publ., 2008).
Print: https://www.dogwise.com/play-with-your-dog/
Ebook: https://www.dogwise.com/ebook-play-with-your-dog/

There is a chapter on rehabilitating the play-deprived dog, and tons of suggested mentally stimulating games that go way beyond just using toys.
kaydub_u likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 AM

NEVER leave them alone together for long periods...

It can totally happen and they be friends, especially if you get them started young enough. At the bottom line, you should NEBER trust them alone together unsupervised. EVER. As CometDog mentioned, innocent play can hurt or kill a smaller dog. Also, at the bottom line, one correction from the GSD could be fatal.

It could be they are both hungry one day and go in for the same piece of food discovered and you’re not around at the moment, it could come from boredom one day and a fight over a toy, or it could simply be excitement and one dog getting stepped on. You just cannot trust them alone unsupervised for long periods of time ever.

Regarding prey drive, they may not be cannibalistic, they probably aren’t ever going to consume the smaller dog. That being said, with a high prey drive they absolutely can and will get excited and could attempt to capture the smaller dog and retrieve or submit it. Or even just play roughly. At that point one of two dangers could occur: first, the simple act of submitting it could cause real damage. Second, and scarier is the smaller dog being submitted could react and fight back, which would quickly escalate and could end poorly.

I’m saying all of this not just as a breeder who has German Shepherds dogs obtained from all over the world and crossed, but as someone who also has a 12-year-old, 12-pound Dachshund who sleeps with us every night. There might be three shepherds in the bedroom at any given night, but Millie the Dachshund isn’t going to sleep on the floor unless she has her own enclosure because just the simple act of one of the big dogs jumping to attention suddenly could step on her without even meaning to. This is the voice of experience.

Enjoy your dog and teach your dog to be gentle and respectful of smaller animals. We have sold German Shepherd Puppies to homes that have cats and throughout the years it’s amazing to see how they can actually play and get along with cats even! Just be careful, be gentle and strong, and be smart about protecting the little ones because they cannot protect themselves and the bigger dogs might not understand how big they really are.

Best,

Jason
WorldGermanShepherds.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page