5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By CometDog
  • 2 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Exercise in suburban areas

It doesn't usually rain here in Tempe, but this morning, my fenced-in backyard was muddy from a steady rain. I also have a sore hip from--something, not sure. So then I realized what a challenge getting my Jupiter enough exercise is going to be.

I ended up taking him to the dog park and throwing the ball, which was good.

Beyond that, any suggestions? We have a leash law here, which I just found out is 6 foot (so the 100 ft. leash I ordered is not going to matter, legally). Eventually I want to get a Springer and hook him up to my bike to run him. Usually I throw balls, frisbees, Cuzes, and use a flirt stick in the yard.

We are a suburban-urban area. There are parks, but no open woody trails like I see so many here have access to. We do have hikes, which I'll take him on when he's a bit older (16 weeks right now.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Master Member

Dog friendly stores(though I would avoid actually pet stores), you can practice skills your pup knows, work on engagement, ect... Nosework/scentwork is a good activity for any space, less physical and more mental.

Short hikes are fine, just go at your pups pace and be ready to cut them short if he starts to tire. I prefer hikes with puppies to fetch because the sudden stops and sharp turns and high impact on growing joints.
CactusWren likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM

I live in California and we have had a lot of rain this year, so I understand the challenge it can pose when you aren't used to it. I bounce several balls around in the kitchen and/or a hall area and let my 7-month puppy chase the balls for 20-30 minutes.

I had to avoid tug-a-way games for a few months, until her permanent teeth came in. There was a period of time when she wanted to play tug-a-war with articles of clothing, without any prompting. Needless to say, she tore hole in several things, with her razor-sharp puppy teeth. Now, we can play some tug-a-way games in the house.

I've read where others play scent tracking games and hide items in the house for their dog to find.

Wow! A 100-ft leash is long. I'd try a 20 or 30 ft. version of a long lead with a puppy.

Have you encountered anyone enforcing your leash law in the areas where you are likely to take your dog? Unless you have a very unique situation in the areas you would take your puppy with a long lead, I'm guessing you won't likely have a problem.

There have been many occasions when I've been in the park with my dog on a leash and wish someone was there to enforce the leash law with the people roaming around with their dogs off leash in the general park areas (not the dog park). I'd think anyone around to enforce a leash law is most apt to go after the dog who isn't on any leash (as opposed to someone with a leash longer than 6 ft.)

There is a leash law in California as well, but I've never seen anyone there to enforce it, when I encounter neighbors who let their dogs roam free in their front yard or walk their dog without a leash in the park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM

I found that a 15 ft leash was the most versatile. I do have a 30 ft but unless my dogs are running in a large area that is pretty cumbersome.

I started teaching my pup tricks, like picking up and bringing laundry. We played ball in the house a little. We took walks and did some simple obedience along the way, stopping here and there to do some recalls and heels and silly stuff. I hid a favorite toy and had started a search party. My pup learned Hide Your Eyes, which meant to go into the bathroom while I hid his toy. We played Chase-The-Bugs as I rolled some kibble across the floor for him to pounce on. I also had a big cardboard box I let him tear apart (watch out for tape and staples).
CactusWren likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Elite Member

I have found a couple of playgrounds that don't have a "no dogs allowed sign" that are far enough off the main road that are deserted on cold, drizzley/light rainy days. They are a lot of fun. Just be fastidious.

Ball fields will sometimes have paths to walk the circumference of the fields. I just found a school a few towns over. At the entrance of the sports fields the sign said dogs must be on leash keep off and to the back of the fields. There is a resteraunt that allows me the use of their property out back, a church that has back property etc. don't be afraid to ask permission.

Use google maps to scout for interesting areas. Also, if you do start to scout and start finding places, jot them down. Especially if they are more out of the way. I keep forgetting all that I've found.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I really have no idea how strict the police are here about no-leash laws, although probably not very much, since there is one dog that walks by my house off-leash twice a day, and several others consistently. People also use the elementary school for fetch on off-hours, and the park right next to it (all off-leash) during school hours. However, I suspect the rules, so to speak, are a little different for GSDs and golden retrievers and 40 lb. dogs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

How old is he?

I live in a pretty urban area. We do 6 miles runs/walks, fetch in schoolyards after school hours, hikes every other weekend in Stokes forest and IPO training. They do ok ifyou can't nail tons of exercise every blessed day, as long as you provide mental stimulation. On days when I am working from home and kids have me hopping after work, I make sure to incorporate 3 or 4 10 minute engagement games during the day. At almost 2 he and the kids have earned a level of mutual respect I feel good about, so they now can ALL get kicked out into the yard for a game of fetch. I don't allow free play (rough housing) in the house., but 2 of my 3 kids have learned acceptable engagement games with him as well.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Jupiter is 16 weeks right now. I am going to have to work on some indoor games and things--tried to do a "find it" thing this morning, but his curiosity/hunger got the best of him, and he kept cheating!

So you haven't had any problems using the schoolyards after hours?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

No I haven't. I leash him when someone comes on and then ask if it bothers them if he is off and well behaved. Answer is usually not a problem As a metter of fact when we were practicing for BH, a bunch of middle schoolers helped me by making a group and then ran by dribbling balls/tossing baskets and stuff while he was in a long down.

At 16 weeks I would not be doing any endurance anyway. Relationship games and more self directed running around is way better for him at this age anyway. Sometimes a young pup will overdo it for you because he aims to please and be with you.

Oh, and the urban stuff is great for helping to keep nails nice and trim
Heartandsoul likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

In my experience, police transfer/refer most complaints to AC and a big factor for me was who the AC was. For us the school areas I use are on weekends with no outside sports going on but I tend to like more quiet areas where I can let the long line drop and my guard down to just enjoy us.

Also, cheating is in their nature if they think they can get away with it. Laugh and just keep working at it. Some naughtiness is just plain funny.
car2ner and CometDog like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page