IPO in Fall, new Pup soon, and a Rehoming Story - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

IPO in Fall, new Pup soon, and a Rehoming Story

I've been so busy lately figured I would do an update. Since I am excited about dog things my other friends and family do not understand lol Kids and work going well, so that is the real important part out of the way

Getting ready for Valor to go for IPO 1 this Fall. Date TBT. He will be 2 June 3rd. He has his CGC, BH, and AD. Hips look like they will easily pass, but rating is taking for ever. I may just do his OFA on his 2nd birthday in a few months. He is a really nice dog. A bit suspicious of strangers, but stable. Very hard worker and extremely handler focused. Boy does he love me lol It's great. I'm home alone a lot when the kids are with their dad, and he is basically my woobie. He has a wonderful quirky intelligence. A real thinker. Slows him down in "sports flash" a bit but I'll take it. For instance, we were watching a K9 special and a Mali was getting hit all over the head with empty milk cartons by the decoy in a bite suite. Valor wanted to go at the TV decoy. When he couldn't get to TV decoy (after diligently checking the other side of the wall behind the TV lol) he went out the back door, tipped the recycling and came back in with...an empty gallon of milk Yeah, he is oddly intelligent. Wonderful with my kids. I don't really let him interact/play with kids he doesn't know. Mostly because he has learned neutral and I want it to stay that way. IMO associating strange random kids with fun and play can have a downside same as strange dogs. He gets keyed up still, so best if he doesn't think kids and dogs out and about are a free source of fun lol As for IPO training, OB and protection going well. Tracking is toughest to find the time for and frozen ground doesn't help. Will hit it hard with the thaw. He has the foundation, so at least we won't be "green" when the grass first is.

Getting a male puppy around Easter! Hooray. Earlier than anticipated. Have my hands on other pups from the breeding and also know some adults from the pedigree list. Still finalizing my research but I feel pretty good about it. Will for sure share and pedigree etc once they are born. Don't want to jinx it now. Plus if she only has like 2 males and neither is right for me..well, you know. Valor is good with puppies, at least I know that. And my kids are very good with dogs and animals in general. Very excited. Very very excited lol I have gotten so much input privately, good bad an ugly about generations in pedigree back from a whole gamut of people I trust and know are knowledgeable. I so appreciate their honesty and will never divulge who said what out of respect. But for those that helped me with honest input and stories/experiences with progeny- thank for your willingness.

Decided to rehome my rescue pit Ruger. I got him 2 summers ago. My friend is a rescue and had a litter, and none of her fosters or she could legally have him (number capacities etc). So I fostered him and of course it failed. I was very dedicated to him even though he was a bag of nerves and quite honestly the breed nor the way he was representing it was my cup of tea. He will be 2 years old this week. He is very dog dominant which is typical of his breed, but extremely fearful of people and environmental issues. He has been staying with my BF since end of summer. My BF now also has a lovely retired bitch from Valor's kennel. She is 7 and still loves ripping it up on the field. She is in such great shape. Anyway, she stays the heck away from Ruger even though historically she is very matriarchal and not submissive to males. She is usually the peacekeeper and stopper of all rambunctious inappropriate house play. Well, she is avoiding Ruger like he is an escaped mental patient. With my BF getting into GSD dog sport, and the fact that he is a "take the dog everywhere" person like me...Ruger is in a constant state of anxiety. Even when he seems fine when he is out an about it is only on the surface, and it is getting worse not better with age and exposure. For example if out on a walk he drops his scent glands if a car runs over a manhole loudly. He sits in the car miserable and afraid at club...to leave him home on beautiful Saturdays at club would not be fair either. So, my BF has a wonderful friend who lives in a rural area on a nice spread, is a total homebody, works from home 4 days a week..and he loves Ruger and would have him as an only dog. That situation, with no demands on him, would be bliss for Ruger. He will still be in our lives since we are all good friends, and Ruger can be spoiled by a guy who has saved countless of needy/problematic rescues and loves having the tough ones.

So that is that Updates from others are requested and welcome!
dogfaeries, Bramble, Gregc and 3 others like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Sounds like you've got a lot of really positive, exciting things going on this year. Bravo!
CometDog likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Wow, you've got it going!
Thecowboysgirl and CometDog like this.

~ Greg C. ~

Last edited by dogma13; 02-14-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Pseudo swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

That is a good solution for Ruger. Itís not a breed I want either, but you found someone who loves and wants him.

I look forward to hearing how it goes in the fall, and how the new puppy fits in with your other training. I would get a third dog since my older one isnít doing as much anymore and Iíve been training my other one for over 3 years, but I donít think I have the time right now for a puppy. So Iím enjoying everyone elseís.
CometDog likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I feel very guilty about Ruger, but I know he will ultimately be happier. He tolerates things in his environment/daily day that go with being my dog (going out a lot, having company a lot..pre teens in and out of the house, therapists in every day for the boys) but the fact that unless we are home alone, with no stimulation, if a spoon drops he is d-o-n-e. Scatters out of the room to the safety of his crate. That tells me he is on edge when we either leave the property, or have a gaggle of people over. For Ruger managing our life, and actually digging our life are two different things. I have to put my ego and feelings of "giving up on a dog" aside and look at it objectively. This close and trusted friend of ours leads a life that Ruger craves.

Lessons learned, I should not have fostered a dog that was not my type of dog and I knew it. Having kids ups your chances of foster failing especially when it is a 4 month old puppy you are fostering and I knew it. I KNEW he was a breed that typically matures into being at the very least dog dominant. They are known to not do as well in same sex situations as other breeds..and I knew I eventually wanted 2 GSDs. So all that is on me. At the very least I should have been firm about "we are only fostering him". Kids are not made of glass. All on me. But the rehoming bit? I can sleep at night responsibly following up with my admitted mistakes.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

I'm taking a break from training right now.
LuvShepherds and CometDog like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I'm taking a break from training right now.
Why?
CometDog likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I feel very guilty about Ruger, but I know he will ultimately be happier. He tolerates things in his environment/daily day that go with being my dog (going out a lot, having company a lot..pre teens in and out of the house, therapists in every day for the boys) but the fact that unless we are home alone, with no stimulation, if a spoon drops he is d-o-n-e. Scatters out of the room to the safety of his crate. That tells me he is on edge when we either leave the property, or have a gaggle of people over. For Ruger managing our life, and actually digging our life are two different things. I have to put my ego and feelings of "giving up on a dog" aside and look at it objectively. This close and trusted friend of ours leads a life that Ruger craves.

Lessons learned, I should not have fostered a dog that was not my type of dog and I knew it. Having kids ups your chances of foster failing especially when it is a 4 month old puppy you are fostering and I knew it. I KNEW he was a breed that typically matures into being at the very least dog dominant. They are known to not do as well in same sex situations as other breeds..and I knew I eventually wanted 2 GSDs. So all that is on me. At the very least I should have been firm about "we are only fostering him". Kids are not made of glass. All on me. But the rehoming bit? I can sleep at night responsibly following up with my admitted mistakes.
It is hard to rehome a dog but you are putting yourself aside and doing what is right for the dog. That in itself is admirable. No need to keep a dog that does not fit in or suit your lifestyle out of commitment or stubbornness (not saying you are stubborn but some people are). Better for everybody that he is in a home that suits him and he is happy leaving you free to move forward with a dog that suits you. That is NOT a failure but a win win solution and an ultimate success.
CometDog likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Why?
No strenuous activity. Just walking.
CometDog likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
No strenuous activity. Just walking.
Time to put a BH on the girl.
CometDog likes this.

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page