Tail Wagger or Not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Tail Wagger or Not?

Cairo is my first GSD. She is 11 months old and came from a bad situation but is getting a bit more relaxed but she never wags her tail.

Actually, I have seen her sway it twice. Do GSD not wag their tails in general or just my dog? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Mine is a tail wagger for sure...
das1 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Tail wagger, no. Tail spinner, yes! Keystones tail is like a propeller!
das1 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Mine wag a slow easy wag, much less brisk than some other dogs I've had. My gal-dog raises her tail high when she gets excited.
das1 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Nothing compared to a lab. Labs just wag their tails all the time.

My shepherds are very deliberate about it--they aren't wagging for just nothing. But there are all sorts of wags. My boy has an up high flag wag that he does when he's tracking. My girl used to do the helicopter wag while searching for a toy when we played that game. Her greeting wag is a slow sweeping wag but she is not a big wagger. You'll get like two waves of the tail and that's it. If she is in a happy mood and i stop by to pet her on her bed I'll get like two thumps.

The boy...oh my goodness... if my husband goes to hug him he will just be thumping his tail furiously. Him and his dad really have a thing

The boy...he'll give a big of a tail wave for people he knows but he's not much of a wagger under those circumstances either.
car2ner and das1 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post

My shepherds are very deliberate about it--they aren't wagging for just nothing. But there are all sorts of wags.
the about sums it up!

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by das1 View Post
Cairo is my first GSD. She is 11 months old and came from a bad situation but is getting a bit more relaxed but she never wags her tail.

Actually, I have seen her sway it twice. Do GSD not wag their tails in general or just my dog? LOL
Shadow wags and wiggles continuously! It's like trying to grab a wet otter! I swear from her tongue to her tail, everything is constantly moving.
Lex was a lot the same just wiggles and wriggles, tail doing 90.

Bud wagged his tail for Sabi, Sabi acknowledged all adoration she was due with a slowly waving tail. The only time she really wagged her tail was when I saw her after 3 weeks apart. I was sure it would snap off if she wagged it any harder. A lot of my fosters seldom wagged tails. I'm sure it's just an adjustment period.

Nothing like my Dane who dented my fridge and left welts on my legs. Her tail was a weapon.
das1 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Shadow wags and wiggles continuously! It's like trying to grab a wet otter! I swear from her tongue to her tail, everything is constantly moving.
Lex was a lot the same just wiggles and wriggles, tail doing 90.

Bud wagged his tail for Sabi, Sabi acknowledged all adoration she was due with a slowly waving tail. The only time she really wagged her tail was when I saw her after 3 weeks apart. I was sure it would snap off if she wagged it any harder. A lot of my fosters seldom wagged tails. I'm sure it's just an adjustment period.

Nothing like my Dane who dented my fridge and left welts on my legs. Her tail was a weapon.
My old yellow dog I always thought maybe was part lab. Mostly shepherd, but the coat was too short and he wagged his tail more like a lab. I took him in this small pet store once with narrow aisles and he was having a grand time. He just about took out the whole aisle with his tail, cleared off a couple of shelves. Kind of embarrassing.
Sabis mom and das1 like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
My old yellow dog I always thought maybe was part lab. Mostly shepherd, but the coat was too short and he wagged his tail more like a lab. I took him in this small pet store once with narrow aisles and he was having a grand time. He just about took out the whole aisle with his tail, cleared off a couple of shelves. Kind of embarrassing.
When I had my Sheltie I was working in a ceramic studio. Shelves full of greenware. One of his commands was "don't wag your tail". Customer got really annoyed with me one day, told me I was being completely unreasonable because dogs have to wag their tails.

You want to talk embarrassed. Shadow knocked over a whole display in a petstore and nearly a second one, all because another customer reached out and touched her. She panicked and did her sideways coyote leap. I wish I had a happy tail to blame
Thecowboysgirl, sebrench and das1 like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 AM

I have a rescue from shelter- a stray- at first she never wagged her tail at me. Now after 4 months we have these

little signals to each other and if I talk quietly to acknowledge her she gently responds w/ a mini tail wag.

Give your dog more time and whisper/talk. My dog still gets upset if someone in home talks gruffly. She's very

sensitive to the tone of voice- maybe your dog is also.
das1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page