• 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Katsugsd
  • 3 Post By Chip Blasiole
  • 2 Post By Thecowboysgirl
  • 1 Post By middleofnowhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Questions for New Owner

Hi. I am new to the forums and new to the breed. I rescued a German Shepherd a few days ago from a rescue organization. He is 15 months old. His vet checks with the rescue all came back normal. They were from a couple weeks ago. He's neutered, microchipped etc. I am very impressed with the breed, and the intelligence of the dog.

My only concern is that I have seen him eating his poop a few times now, right when he goes. I work with someone who has a Shepherd and he said his dog does it from time to time. I've had dobermans, shelties, and other breeds, and have never seen any of them do this. It is shocking.

He has a vet appointment this Saturday for a general health check and to get him acquainted with our vet. The foster family that had him said he was on medium grade, donated food. When we got him we switched him to Natural Balance LID, because that is what we were used to with our Doberman, as it was the ONLY food she would eat.

Any tips, thoughts, concerns regarding the poop eating? He is energetic, loves to eat, loves to play, runs around outside, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 AM

Welcome!

I am sure someone, several someones will answer you soon. I know I have read similar questions before so you may find a tread that already addresses this issue.

Be sure to post pictures!
SpartanFan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miika and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiisa's Mom

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 3 Arabians
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 AM

Glad you are getting a health check. That is always first. Some dogs, it seems, just like to eat poop. The best course of action is to always pick the poop up as soon as you can. You can teach him a "leave it" command, which you'll need for other things besides pooh anyhow.
some people add stuff to the dog's diet to try and make the pooh taste worse. I can't imagine it tasting worse than it already is, but that is something you can ask your vet.
SpartanFan likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
some people add stuff to the dog's diet to try and make the pooh taste worse. I can't imagine it tasting worse than it already is, but that is something you can ask your vet.
I have heard pineapple does this. My friend's dog just likes to eat poop. It disturbs me, but my dogs love to raid the kitty litterbox (which is why it's in inaccessible locations now). I know theres OTC stuff you can buy, but I'm not 100% sure how successful it is. I have also heard of dogs eating poo if they're not getting enough nutrients. Have you thought about not using a LID with him? A strong "leave it" will probably end up being your best bet IMO.
SpartanFan likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Master Member

Dogs are coprophagic or feces eating animals. Feces is a good source of nutrition, but unappealing to dog owners. Try adding organ meat, raw crushed fruits and vegetables, eggs and yogurt.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Some dogs just do it for fun.

It can also be learned from other dogs. There are various feed thru methods of curbing it. I prefer scoop and supervise method.

I have a dog who developed it as part of a health problem, later exacerbated by steroids making her hungry all the time. I give up with that one, I can prevent it with wtrict supervision and I do...but I am past trying to train or change anything with her. I dont think she can help it. I go with them at poop time and pick up each one as it happens. Every so often she gets one. Most of the time not. Best we can do. Thank god my younger ones dont, I find it very objectionable. Although I have caught my adult male wanting to lick other dogs poop like he licks pee because he is intact. BLEH. I don't let hin get in habits like that. He kisses me. That's nasty
Sabis mom and SpartanFan like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post
I have heard pineapple does this. My friend's dog just likes to eat poop. It disturbs me, but my dogs love to raid the kitty litterbox (which is why it's in inaccessible locations now). I know theres OTC stuff you can buy, but I'm not 100% sure how successful it is. I have also heard of dogs eating poo if they're not getting enough nutrients. Have you thought about not using a LID with him? A strong "leave it" will probably end up being your best bet IMO.
Thanks for the reply. (Thank you everyone for the replies). Yes, we are going to move him to Victor. My wife read about it, and the pro and pre biotics seem like a good addition to the food. We will see what the vet says tomorrow, but his check a few weeks ago was all good news. I did buy nutravet stuff to help, but it hasn't done anything. I will update when I hear from the vet tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, what dog's choose as a snack, yet we fuss over what we feed them.....

Not the best breath mint from my standpoint...
SpartanFan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page