Change of behaviour when alone - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Excerpt from my book on GSDs

"And if King created a problem with the pillows, Shalimar’s favorite pastime was tearing up the wall-to-wall carpet in the house. Having bought out all the rolls of carpet tape and being a security “authority”, I decided to monitor what was going on in the house via closed circuit television with a monitor in the basement.

So I “left” to go to work and quietly ran down into the basement to monitor Shali. I figured that when she tore up the carpeting, I would race upstairs and scold her. Hopefully she’d get the message.

So in the basement I sat, my eyes glued to the monitor. And that’s where I sat all day long. Shali didn’t touch the carpet in the house, but instead went out and got a piece of carpeting that she had torn up the previous day. I know because I could see her holding the piece of carpeting in her mouth on the monitor.

The next weekend I was sleeping in and enjoying the piece and quiet when all of a sudden I was jarred awake by what sounded like carpet being torn up again. When I got down stairs, there was Shali—every muscle in her body ripping up the carpeting. King sat by watching the Shali-antics. He had been trained, but not to protect the carpeting!

The problem was finally solved by Shane Beardsworth (AAA Dog Training/), a trainer that I knew and had used with King to teach him basic stuff like sit, stay, heel, et cetera. He told me that when Shali was caught tearing up the carpet, that I should take a piece of carpeting, large enough that she couldn’t swallow it, and tape it in her mouth. And Shane said, “I know you so don’t wimp out or you’ll regret it.”

He went on to tell about another client who used the correction once instead of three times as called for. This client then left the dog out in his back yard where he stored his favorite restored convertible. The client came home to find that his convertible and been “converted”—permanently.

By that time, I was more or less desperate so I did what this guy recommended. He said that once wouldn’t be enough, and that I should plan on doing this “correction” three times. And Shali never again touched the carpeting. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan Heidi View Post

PS/ I've enjoyed reading about your adventures with Rex. He's a lucky dog.
Thank you Orphan Heidi for this. It has been a very enriching experience for me, personally. I am a much softer person as a result, taking care of him and improving on my patience. Never had kids and I have no significant other (at this stage). So teaching me giving

So I found a solution that I am trying. Outside my room, there is a small room and a per gate between that small room and the main living room. It has nothing in it. Except two chairs. I left Rex twice in it so far. 4 hours once and 6 hours another. It went well. So I will stick to that and see where that goes.

Here are a couple of pics in the desert camping.

Thank you all
Attached Images

car2ner, sebrench and das1 like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:58 PM

The problem was finally solved by Shane Beardsworth (AAA Dog Training/), a trainer that I knew and had used with King to teach him basic stuff like sit, stay, heel, et cetera. He told me that when Shali was caught tearing up the carpet, that I should take a piece of carpeting, large enough that she couldn’t swallow it, and tape it in her mouth. And Shane said, “I know you so don’t wimp out or you’ll regret it.”

This is the worst advice I've ever heard of.Both cruel and dangerous.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post

This is the worst advice I've ever heard of.Both cruel and dangerous.
That is the most cruel advise I have heard sounds like an abusive twisted monster this trainer. There was a german shepherd abandoned on the highway the dogs mouth was duck taped shut - sounds like the same thought process of this so called trainer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:53 PM

Ooffff. Not a fan, but I guess I'm happy it worked for you. I'd never, ever do that to one of my dogs.

~ Greg C. ~
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 PM

"Cruel, dangerous", and it sounds like it worked.

A family dog from childhood almost got a death sentence as a chicken killer, and was saved using a similar technique.

At about 1.5 years, and after killing two chickens in two weeks, he was on his last chance. Someone suggested to tie the dead chicken to his collar, and leave him tied up for a week.

It was barbaric, cruel, and it saved his life.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
"Cruel, dangerous", and it sounds like it worked.

A family dog from childhood almost got a death sentence as a chicken killer, and was saved using a similar technique.

At about 1.5 years, and after killing two chickens in two weeks, he was on his last chance. Someone suggested to tie the dead chicken to his collar, and leave him tied up for a week.

It was barbaric, cruel, and it saved his life.
I'm sure that dog lived a very long happy life.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post

I'm sure that dog lived a very long happy life.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
He sure did. I think he lived till 14 before his health issues got to much and we had to put him down. That's 12 years of playing with the family and enjoying going every where with us. 12 years of living on the farm without attacking any poultry. A pretty good tradeoff for me.

I suppose you think the kinder approach would have been too rehome him?
Sabis mom likes this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
He sure did. I think he lived till 14 before his health issues got to much and we had to put him down. That's 12 years of playing with the family and enjoying going every where with us. 12 years of living on the farm without attacking any poultry. A pretty good tradeoff for me.

I suppose you think the kinder approach would have been too rehome him?
Sometimes drastic situations call for drastic solutions. In many places I have lived dogs get shot for harassing farm animals, never mind killing them.
My Dane spent a long boring day, chained short and muzzled in the chicken pen of a neighbor. She never looked at a chicken again. It was his suggestion and a better one then I expected in rural Montana. He was within his rights to shoot her, and I was sick about it.

Two different cattle ranches that I was on selected stock dogs based on survival. The pups were put in a pen with range cattle. The ones that survived got to keep working. A good bitch is one who's pups generally survive this "hazing".

Koehler recommends similar methods to stop destruction in his books I believe. It's aversion therapy. Make the dog so despise the feel of the carpeting in it's mouth that it will never touch it again. It works and we need to remember that different cultures have different approaches. Personally I would crate, but also bear in mind that in some countries crating is illegal.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 PM

I don't agree that the end justifies the means.There are effective humane methods to solve problems.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page