Thunders new behaviour - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thunders new behaviour

Hi.

It's been a long time since I posted here. Thunder is now 11 years old, and is slowing down, but still going pretty strongly.

Thunder has over the past 2 weeks developed a new concerning behaviour whereby he will take items either off the floor or off a low table or shelf etc, and tear it to pieces, or eat it. Sometimes it's just a bit of cardboard, but the other day it was some lego, another day it was a shuttlecock and the head of it (rubber) was found in his poo the following day. This is entirely new behaviour that started a fortnight ago, but seems to be occuring each day overnight. Obviously, it's not safe for Thunder to do this, nor is it desirable. We are wondering how we can train him not to do it.

Nothing much has changed in the house recently, and not much that we can think of, has changed with his routine.

My wife is very upset with it and wants him locked outside, but then he sometimes barks at night when left outside, which isn't ideal from a neighbours perspective, or has suggested we muzzle him at night when we go to sleep. This doesn't feel a fair way to treat him, but we can't continue with him taking stuff off tables etc. I understand if it's on the floor, it's more "fair game".

Our confusion is that in 11 years he hasn't done this before, especially not as consistently.

Also, we have always wanted to get Thunder to bring things that are thrown for him, back. He will chase with great gusto, but we have never managed to get him to bring it back. Our kids are older now and want to play with him, which is desireable for all concerned I think, however, I wonder if it's too late to try and get him into this behaviour now?

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 PM

I think you should consider a comfortable crate for him when you cannot keep an eye on things. Also a check up at the vet. Eating odd stuff is probably a symptom of something going on inside. It could even be something as simple as sore teeth and chewing of things helps relieve some pain.
Just guessing.
Gregc and Orphan Heidi like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 AM

I also wonder if there's something going on inside- Ulcers? Pain somewhere? Needs worming?

Just a warning- My relative had a large dog that took up chewing and eating odd things around the house- had to

do surgery several times to remove things from gut- but he eventually died from an episode of eating something.

Is your dog getting enough exercise? Is he bored and getting enough attention?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

If it were my dog, I would crate him at night or contain him in a small, safe room at night (like the bathroom) with a dog bed and all harmful items removed. I would also take him to the vet for a check up since this is a new behavior. I wouldn't use a muzzle or lock him outside.

Last edited by sebrench; 01-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page