Adult GSD Opinion - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Adult GSD Opinion

Hey guys,

This post may be in the wrong place, so please move it accordingly if it needs to. I apologize in advance.

I am looking to get an adult GSD, but want to get the communities opinions regarding this. A prospective dog I am looking at is 4 years old, but has never lived as a house dog. Do you think this will be a hard transition for a dog who's never lived in the house? I want a companion in the a GSD and will be keeping him in my home. Please share your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

Many adult dogs have lived outside, gone thru rescue and successfully transferred to a home. You would just treat them as a puppy to housebreak them. Same idea of they have to earn their freedom and you'll have to take the dog to training. You are probably near Beth Bradley. Excellent trainer.
Sabis mom likes this.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Crowned Member

I once transitioned my 15yr old (childhood) outside dog into apartment living with 0 issues. The tips from the above poster are good ones.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM

One of my dogs I got as a 3 year old who had lived outside since she was a puppy. She transitioned extremely easy into an inside dog. The big thing I had trouble with was counter surfing and getting into the trash. But she was an easy dog and got over that pretty fast. In my experience potty training was fairly easy, females especially compared to say intact males or neutered ones that like to mark. I crate train and the dog is only unsupervised when I can directly watch them at first until I can trust them to not get into things and cause trouble for themselves or me. (I've had others but the female was the only GSD. All the males I had trouble with them wanting to mark in the house at first. The female had one accident and that was due to my family forgetting to let her out.)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

I fostered and kept a mid age male that had been tied to a rope outside most of his life. The rescue who placed him with me said he was 2, but we later found out his real age when he got age related cataracts. He peed in the house at first and could not walk on a leash, but he quickly learned to be a well behaved dog indoors. He was a spinner which was terribly annoying but we eventually knocked that out of him too as he became comfortable here. He loved being indoors. He had a nice bed in every room and a special cushion at night. He became an excellent house pet but didn’t trust certain people which was very challenging. We never broke him of trash tipping or grabbing things from the counter, so I learned to put those things out of reach.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tro23 View Post
Hey guys,

This post may be in the wrong place, so please move it accordingly if it needs to. I apologize in advance.

I am looking to get an adult GSD, but want to get the communities opinions regarding this. A prospective dog I am looking at is 4 years old, but has never lived as a house dog. Do you think this will be a hard transition for a dog who's never lived in the house? I want a companion in the a GSD and will be keeping him in my home. Please share your thoughts
You will probably need to use the same approach you would with a pup. More or less. But many adult dogs have been successfully acclimated to indoors. Do be prepared for some extra shedding and be patient. It's an adjustment.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for this insight! I didn't realize adult male dogs tend to mark more - what would be the best approach to housebreaking with this being an issue?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Thank you for this insight! I didn't realize adult male dogs tend to mark more - what would be the best approach to housebreaking with this being an issue?
Took in a few stray GSDs in the earlier years. They did not want to do their business in the house and none of them ever marked. I did see more of a tendency though for not wanting to be confined in the house alone.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:55 AM
Master Member

Training a dog is never too late no matter the age. Lots of dogs don't get to be fortunate enough to have a happy, basic home life with good humans and when they're trained, disciplined and loved properly, they transition well. Some may need more time, some don't really do. But as a GSD owner... I doubt that there's anything this dog can't be taught to do. So go for it!
r3tro23 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
First you house break him in general. If he continues to mark then with a correction. This is a training issue. You pee HERE. You DON"T pee here.
r3tro23 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page