Petplan premiums jacked up..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Petplan premiums jacked up.....

Anyone else get the letter from PetPlan about their new underwriter and the premiums getting jack ed up? ****, I need a new insurance provider now for my 6 year old GSD. Ideas? This really caught me by surprise. Premium rockets in MAR.
Thanks,
Greg

~ Greg C. ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

How much did it go up? If your dog has been ill ever in his life, all conditions will be pre-existing so be careful switching. Healthy Paws went up too. It was less than $10/mth for both dogs.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Happened to us two years ago and this year isn't any better.

I'm keeping track this year to see if it even makes sense to keep it anymore.

My deductibles went from $200 per condition to $750!

Reimbursement after deductibles went from 100% when I first signed up to 70% this year

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009

Last edited by Heidigsd; 01-12-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

That's typical of PP. They were raising rates 25% a year for us while giving us progressively worse coverage with "underwriter changes," so we got rid of them and switched to Healthy Paws. Rates go up a little each year with HP, and a little more with senior dogs, but nothing like PP. The pre-existing condition issue can definitely be a trap though!

With HP, my senior dog is up to $90/mo. But he's like 12! I really can't blame them for charging more for a dog that old. The non-senior adult is $55.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

Insurance companies aren't in it to lose money. It's purely financial. If most pet owners got more money from the insurer than they pay, they wouldn't be in business. Just something to keep in mind- it's a tough decision and if I had only one or two dogs, I'd probably insure them. But with more than that, it stops making much financial sense, I've run the numbers.

I think some companies do lock in rates, though, I'd do a search and find one that does, and see if it ends up being less expensive.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

Haven't seen a letter this year, but 2 years ago mine went up 25%. I really hate this company now. I will never recommend them. Healthy Paws seems to be better.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

Healthy Paws also goes up regularly.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

They want about $225 per quarter now. 1 dog, no pre-existing conditions. Iíve never made a claim; just paid premiums for 6 years. Iíll have to shop around. Maybe I should have just put the cash in a bank account.

~ Greg C. ~
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Master Member

I just cancelled PP and went with Nationwide. 250.00 deductible pays all after that. 1 ur wait for HD and other congenital stuff. Ozzy will be 1 next month and never had to use PP since we got it in 6-18.
Have wellness coverage as well for visits heartworm meds etc. I pay 48.00 a month
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

One warning I will give you is this: you'll lose access to hip coverage due to your dog's age if you switch (HP only covers hips if enrolled before age 6), and if you now decide to just give up coverage altogether out of frustration, you may regret it as you're entering the most expensive years of the dog's life (middle-age through senior).

I dropped coverage on an old dog years ago when premiums went up dramatically when he turned 10. He had always been VERY healthy without any serious issues. It was a different insurance company, but we paid years of premiums with no claims. They were obviously trying to get rid of us with the massive premium hike, and it worked. The next year he was diagnosed with cancer, and we had multi-thousand dollar bills. So...the insurance companies do know what they're doing in that regard -- they knew the "frustration point" at which consumers were likely to drop coverage, and they exercised it just as the probability of big problems in this breed hit a very high point. They have the data to be able to know exactly when risk is the highest and the point at which most consumers will drop policies. I felt foolish for dropping coverage and won't do it again.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page