Do any of you RV/travel frequently with your GSD? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

I travel cross-country twice a year (at least) with my dog in my SUV, stopping at hotels along the way. He's an awesome traveler.

One thing that we do on long trips when we want to go sight-seeing is give the dog a day at Camp Bow Wow. My guy is very dog social, so he likes it there. Once a dog passes the CBW intake day-long "interview," they're approved in the system nationwide for all Camp Bow Wow franchises.

Another tip is to train your dog from to pee and poop on a leash, without too much dawdling. I've seen people at hotels with fussy dogs who take FOREVER to go potty, with their humans standing out in the cold getting frustrated. It's very, very common for some dogs to have issues with leashed pooping as they're used to wandering in a backyard and having some "personal space." Travel is a lot easier when your dog just gets it done!

AAA has a book on dog-friendly places nationwide (hotels, restaurants, state parks, etc.). It's not free with membership, but it only cost $10 or so at the club office. It's worth carrying. I also use the Bring Fido to find restaurants with dog-friendly patios.

Having a really good relationship with your vet at home is also very important. Mine will do some tele-vet-medicine with me because we've got a strong relationship going back years, and he sees my dogs frequently -- this means its easy for him to calling in prescription refills, looking a phone pics of paw injuries, etc.
ksotto333, car2ner and Nursejulie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

Having a really good relationship with your vet at home is also very important. Mine will do some tele-vet-medicine with me because we've got a strong relationship going back years, and he sees my dogs frequently -- this means its easy for him to calling in prescription refills, looking a phone pics of paw injuries, etc.
excellent tip. I hadn't even thought about being able to do this. I'll have to check with my vet before our next road trip.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, there is a lot of good info here.

John P.
Dog lover, looking to add a GSD to our family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post

The guarding/alerting/territorial behavior certainly exists...... once she figured out the motor home was our living quarters....pretty much the same with the boat.

SuperG

I can vouch for this.

Back in the early 80's when we got our first Shepherd (a female), we also got a pop-up tent trailer. She was a sweetheart. Calm as can be. Not aggressive with either people or other dogs and not particularly prey driven. One summer when she was about 6 the family was camping in Virginia, taking the kids to Williamsburg, the Shenandoah Valley, and such. We always left her in the pop-up with the window flaps up so she would have air and be able to look around, while we would go out to visit the sites. This one time we came back to the campground to find a huge tear in the side of the pop-up and our girl sitting calmly in front of the entrance to the pop-up waiting for us to get back. She couldn't tell us why she had torn through the side of the pop-up to get out, but our best guess was that someone tried to take advantage of our absence to see what they could get and she was having none of that. Must have scared the crap out of whoever it was to see this 75 pound GSD come flying out of the pop-up to confront them (and the thought of that pleases me to this day).
Gregc likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Administrator

I don't have an RV at present, but have traveled with one or multiple GSDs pretty extensively.

Absolutely agree with teaching them to pee on a leash, on command, quickly. Saves a lot of misery standing around at rest stops in the pouring rain or blizzard.

Set up a Dropbox or other cloud-based storage so you have digital copies of all your dog data at your fingertips. I either scan (if I'm at home) or take phone pics (if I'm on the road somewhere) all vet stuff and receipts, and POOF, it goes up into the cloud, saved indefinitely and I don't have to tote paperwork piles everywhere. This is invaluable if you end up having to take a dog to a new vet when you're far from home (been there). You can also provide proof of vaccines and proof of flea preventative at a moment's notice (I've found rentals and whatnot in the southern US have started asking about flea treatments, recently).

Try and raise your dog to not be a picky eater. This is kind of a touchy subject, there are a lot of opinions out there. If your dog truly doesn't tolerate certain foods, that's one thing.... but if you can, rotate some different foods, get a feel for whether or not your dog has a sensitive stomach. Condition your dog to eat what is put in the bowl. Even with the best of intentions, traveling long enough eventually leads to running out of dog food somewhere inconvenient and buying whatever the gas station sells. JMHO.

Like so many people above, I've not had problems with GSDs adjusting to different spaces - tree houses, boats, hostels, hotels, living (literally) in the back of my SUV, tents, hammocks, etc. They figure it out.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:58 AM

We have done a lot of traveling with our dogs through the years. At one point we had a 30' class C Winnebago which we bought to travel with the dogs. We had 3 GSD's at the time and travelled extensively for our sales and marketing company. I was able to set up 3 crates in the Motor Home and the dogs were very comfortable. I've travelled with dogs in cars and never had an issue. One thing I always did was bring water from home or buy bottled water on the road for the dogs. I've found over the years that like changing food, changing water can cause some stomach upset.

I feed raw and have never had an issue with raw feeding my dogs on the road. I simply stop at a grocery store and buy raw chicken and meat. I will make up meals and freeze them prior to leaving and bring a cooler. For the past 10 years or so, I've been traveling in a Honda Odyssey mini van with two GSD's. I've driven from VA to Florida, to NY and up and down the east coast. I travel for vacations, seminars, and work. I walk my dogs when we stop at rest areas for gas, I exercise them when we get to our destination. For us, traveling with the dogs is easy.
Sabis mom likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

For those traveling alone in a passenger vehicle (not RV), one tip for potty stops:

I never use the facilities at highway rest areas. First, dogs aren't allowed inside them, and I'm not leaving my dog in the car in hot weather. Also, as a woman traveling alone, I've seen too many news stories about criminal activity in those places.

Instead, I map out all the Tractor Supply, Petco, and Petsmart stores along my route. Home Depot and Lowes stores often let dogs in too. I can take my dog inside and use the customer restrooms at those places. They also feel much safer to me than rest areas.
Gregc, Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Instead, I map out all the Tractor Supply, Petco, and Petsmart stores along my route. Home Depot and Lowes stores often let dogs in too. I can take my dog inside and use the customer restrooms at those places. They also feel much safer to me than rest areas.
This is a great idea.

I've traveled cross-country, alone, a few times with my doberman. Restroom stops were always scary (and super-rushed) for me. Can't believe I never thought of using these facilities.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 PM

Lots of great sharing here, thanks so much! We adopted our 1-yr old GSD from a local rescue in June 2018. By July 1st, we took him on an RV trip (23-ft Class C) to Colorado Springs. I traveled with Bring Fido (I use the mobile app) recommendations for dog friendly restaurants, dog parks, and hotels! Our pup loved traveling with us. I made sure to walk him a lot everyday. Having the vet documents online is also great. He was always very sociable and flexible. My challenge was to stock his dog food: he was a new dog - getting used to a new environment and diet created dietary trouble - until I settled on one that agreed with him. Now that he has been with us 6 months and used to good food, I might start experimenting with mixing raw food or other brands, for contingency’s sake. In the fall, we took him to state parks where he enjoyed swimming in lakes. At Thanksgiving, we went to Padre Island National Seashore where he enjoyed the beach and the ocean. It has been fun.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Getting our GSD comfortable traveling is one of our top training priorities. We just got him last weekend at 15 weeks, so we’re going to get him comfy going in and out of the 5th wheel and riding in the truck. We have a 14 year old golden/lab mix that we rescued, and he hates traveling. We’d love for our dog to go everywhere he can with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page