Bite Sleeve question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Bite Sleeve question

Straight to the point. My brother is wanting to buy his dog a bite sleeve to play with. Because I have absolutely no knowledge in IPO or anything similar I have my concerns; he also has absolutely no knowledge of it so more concerning because of the ignorance. When I think of the bite sleeve I think of protection work and the sleeve (etc) not being on the owner.

Also, he has talked about wanting to start IPO eventually. I suggested that he talk to the owner of the club and see if any of this would be appropriate if he seriously does want to enter the sport because he should do so responsibly. I feel like I cannot give him any advice on something that I also have no knowledge about, it's not fair for me to do that. But if I have information to give him whether good or bad I would like to do so.

I just don't understand why he wants to play tug and hard this way when the dog absolutely loves a tug rope among many other toys.

If I am wrong, that is fine. I just wouldn't want to not say something if I should have.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

Tell him to get a bite pillow. If he does decide to go into IPO at some point, the helper can make the transition from that to a sleeve and he won't have to worry as much about creating the conflicts he likely would if he put a sleeve on.

https://www.allk-9.com/grip-building...jute-p-21.html

If he never goes into IPO, no big deal. its just another tug toy.
dogbyte likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you 🙂 I'll show him the link you sent. I think I saw this is another post too but, the context was different so I still wanted to ask. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Tell him to get a bite pillow. If he does decide to go into IPO at some point, the helper can make the transition from that to a sleeve and he won't have to worry as much about creating the conflicts he likely would if he put a sleeve on.

https://www.allk-9.com/grip-building...jute-p-21.html

If he never goes into IPO, no big deal. its just another tug toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Master Member

There is a lot of fundamental skills required in learning how to present the sleeve, catch a dog, read the dog and adjust with your body language, teaching the dog to counter, etc. Going out and buying a sleeve and having no experience is a poor idea. Also, there are so many different types of sleeves depending on where the dog is in the bite work. Having said that, I know a guy who was an experienced helper who trained his own dog in IPO bite work and won the North American SchH III Championship.
onyx'girl likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

There is a LOT more to bite work than putting a sleep on and letting the dog bite it. If inexperienced, he's probably going to cause more issues, than help. As Steve said, it can also create a lot of conflict and you're unable to utilize all the drives. It's not something I would do.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page