Nail cutting - is it always necessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Nail cutting - is it always necessary?

Hello guys,

I hope this new year started well for you and your family of humans and dogs 😊

Two trainers that have seen my boy have told me that it is not necessary to cut his nails as they don’t touch the floor when he stands.

But they are really like 1 mm off the floor and they do click when he walks on concrete but yes don’t touch when he stands.

I have seen this YouTube video where it made the case that it is very bad not to cut the nails as this screws with posture and feet bones.

He hates having his nails cut so if I can do without this stress on him, I would rather do that.

Thanks you for your input.

Cheers

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Master Member

A dogs needs to have his nails cut about every two weeks. Failure to do so can result in lameness of the feet. You want your dog to have tight feet, not splayed. If he strenuously objects to cutting, try a grinder. Do these trainers that you mentioned have any clue that your dog's nails will continue to grow?
Aly likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Running on concrete keeps nails shorter but they do need to be cut. I had a dog who hated his nail trim I tried to avoid it at all costs. The nails got cracks in them and he developed a horrible infection in his nail bed. A vet who was good with him and his team helped me cut his nails. As he aged his nail growth slowed down. My dogs now I made sure I took the time to get them used of the dremel and clipper because it was something I would not want to go through again. They are young and really grow fast I do try to dremel them once a week mostly every two weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Never mind posture issues, I do not like the sound of clicking on hard surfaces so I trim regularly. My girl is due for a trimming herself.
Steel's feet are less than ideal in terms of tightness...so I've been trimming his back every week or two to help them firm up a bit - it seems to be doing a good job (or genetics are taking over). I use a grinder for the GSDs and clippers for the Shiba.

Editing to add - he'll hate it until you make it a regular thing. Much like bathing and leash/collar wearing, this is something that must be "desensitized."

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018

Last edited by Katsugsd; 01-03-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on both thr owner and the dog. My Dane was impossible and we ended up cauterizing her nails to stop the problem. I never trimmed Sabs nails until she retired. No need. Bud needed his done once a month. Shadow trims her own.
Generally if my dogs nails are long they are not getting enough exercise.
I am fairly certain no one goes and catches all the wild canines to trim their nails.
tim_s_adams and clipke like this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Master Member

They don't vaccinate wild canines, clean their teeth, train or vet them either. Maybe people should stop that too.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Sharp nails can cause injury to humans, just like sharp puppy teeth. I recently received a nasty wound to my lip, when I was caught off guard, while bending over to put a leash on my 5-1/2 month puppy. It took an hour to get the bleeding to stop.

I apparently missed a nail, during a recent trim effort. I have to trim her nails a few at a time, when she is tired/low energy. Sometimes, I distract her with with a favorite treat to chew on, while I sneak in a nail at a time.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
They don't vaccinate wild canines, clean their teeth, train or vet them either. Maybe people should stop that too.
My point was that a majority of dogs getting sufficient exercise do not require nail trims. The argument that it may cripple them is invalid.
We absolutely see wild canines dying or ill from disease. We do not see them crippled from overgrown nails.

But we can be silly if you like.
tc68 and clipke like this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:19 PM

I don't trim Jax's nails very often. They grind down with the amount of exercise he's getting. I trimmed them 2 days ago, but that was the first time in 2-3 months. I think it comes down to genetics and activity levels. My rottie mix pretty much never needs his trimmed. They stay short, he also won't let me touch them, so it's hard anyways.
Sabis mom likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Crowned Member

If I cut my dogs nails every two months they would be like talons and they get plenty of exercise maybe It is genetics or age. I have seen dogs nails so long it effected the way they walked. Long nails get easily get ripped out during a wild run and it is very painful for the dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page