Nail cutting - is it always necessary? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Crowned Member

Wow really? I can't imagine not trimming my dogs nails.

Wild horses don't get farrier care either but that's no reason not to do it for a domestic horse.

I board dogs whose nails are never trimmed, it's a huge pet peeve of mine--drives me nuts looking at those long claws. It looks uncomfortable for them, it does change the way they walk and not for the better, and those are always the ones who tear or break a nail in a bad way while boarding.

I trim mine every 1-2 weeks, my boys grow SO fast, my girl probably gets done once a month. Hers don't grow as fast for whatever reason.

I don't trim a huge lot off because I never want to quick them, and I would not say they are super short but they are tidy.

One of my agility friends does let hers get to a certain length for traction when trialing, and then trims afterward, but his nails are never even remotely like the overgrown ones that belong to people who just don't trim ever.

My dogs get plenty of exercise and it does not have any impact on the length of their toenails
Aly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

For me I like the dremel. Trimming dogs with black nails it’s harder to see the quick so it’s important to take off a bit at a time when using a clipper when just getting started. The dremel makes it easier to see the quick and not hit it as it grinds down the nail little by little. You can get used to have his paws handled and start with that since he did get his nails trimmed. The video I posted shows you with the clicker makes the same sound as the nail trimmer you can do the same with a dremel and just get him used to the sound. Eventually he will not mind get his paws touched mine like foot rubs lol! They tolerate the dremel and or nail trim. Really good tasty treats before his meal will work best. Go slow and not to fast it can take time. This is how I got my dogs to tolerate nail dremels and clippers I did start when they were pups. Adults I think it would take a little longer and more patience. The more you do it the more you get comfortable with it. You can teach yourself or pay a groomer to show you. There are many YouTube videos out there. Max had a paw injury and as Ally mentioned it did help that max was used to having his feet handled. It made life easier. My last gsd was very uncomfortable when you touched his paws and made impossible to touch if there was something wrong as I mentioned in the first post very challenging for me and hard for me to help him- it was something I will not forget. Dremeling make is easier to control length at least for me versus a nail clipper when done on a regular basis. I have a friend who showed dobermans had many many champions -and competes in agility and she dremels her dobermans nails on a regular basis and has done so for numerous amount of years. You can have nice traction with regular upkeep on nails. My dremel is a 7700 I got on amazon. If you search nail dremel on this you will get names of dremels people like and use and tips. Dober dawn used to have information on dremeling but her site is now down.
http://milesandemma.com/how-to-dremel-dog-nails/
Aly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-04-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 AM

I like to keep my guys short so dremel once a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE832A28-2963-417A-B3E8-0CC1D37E612A_1546610365099.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	516433  
Aly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozi View Post
Is the dremmel easier for the dog to get used to?

I mean when I get close with the clipper, he moves his paw after about a second. I can only imagine it worse with a grinding sound and motion! I am about to order a dremmel from Amazon, but I feel that it might be worse than trying with a clipper.....
I haven't found that to be true necessarily, but then I spend a LOT of time gradually training puppies to accept my handling and, by extension, clippers/trimmers and dremels. To me, the singular virtue of dremels is that it's harder for me to hit the quick than with a guillotine nail trimmer.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:32 AM

I’ve been a groomer for over 40 years, so I have a bit of experience in this area.

Scarlet has hated the toenail clippers since she was tiny. No matter what I did, she would lose her mind. She just won’t tolerate the feeling of her nail being squeezed by the clipper. At 2, she still hates them. The dremel however is just fine in her mind. She sprawls on her side and gives me each foot without a fight. So I never use the toenail clippers on her, instead I just keep them ground down with the dremel.
Aly and Katsugsd like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOzzy2018 View Post
I like to keep my guys short so dremel once a week.

Wow, how far back does the Quick go? I would guess those nails are considered quite short?

Thanks
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Looks like am gonna order myself a dremmel then!
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I’ve been a groomer for over 40 years, so I have a bit of experience in this area.

Scarlet has hated the toenail clippers since she was tiny. No matter what I did, she would lose her mind. She just won’t tolerate the feeling of her nail being squeezed by the clipper. At 2, she still hates them. The dremel however is just fine in her mind. She sprawls on her side and gives me each foot without a fight. So I never use the toenail clippers on her, instead I just keep them ground down with the dremel.
My shepherds are not fans of clippers either (neither am I for their black nails). They handle the dremel very well. My shiba, on the other hand, hates the dremel but will tolerate the clippers. I ground his nails once and getting him to lay still was a lot of man handling on my part. He's usually the only one "clicking" in my house.
dogfaeries likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM

I think nail trimming should be introduced as a basic part of grooming during the puppy stage. Just take off the very tips and offer high value rewards, mine will gladly present their paws for a piece of cheese. Nail trimming should be on an “as need” basis, as overgrown ones visibly cause discomfort and strain. I’d much rather take a few minutes to trim up the nails as opposed to extended exercise on such an unforgiving surface as concrete.

Only my pit bull has clear nails, my two boys have black as coal nails. But trimming her nails have given me an idea of where the quicks are and I always trim slightly longer than I think they are just in case. I stay patient, quietly coax them and vigilantly praise for each nail. In the beginning I will give a treat immediately after each nail but now they know they will get a whole slice after it’s all said and done. My dobe will butt in while I’m doing the other dogs, sit quietly and give me his paw as if to say “my turn”!
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozi View Post
Wow, how far back does the Quick go? I would guess those nails are considered quite short?

Thanks
Those nails are way to short! Dogs need their nails.

I have had dogs all my life and I cannot remember the last time I picked up clippers.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page