What's YOUR Favorite Dog Toy and/or Game? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By coolgsd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

What's YOUR Favorite Dog Toy and/or Game?

I'm thinking that most of us have a favorite toy or game that we particularly enjoy, while playing with our dog (s). It may not be your dog's favorite, but it's something you prefer.

I usually spend some time daily bouncing a couple small balls back and forth in the kitchen with my 5-1/2 month old puppy, Cassie. I have to say, the little kid in me likes the two small balls that light up when they bounce (one has a squeaker as well). Got to say I like bright shiny things, LOL

For activities in the back yard, I enjoy the flirt pole. Similarly, I use a well worn dog-friendly tether ball with a rope attached (similar game play to the flirt pole).

My prior 2 GSD's enjoyed herding activities, which I enjoyed as well. My prior dog, Becca, grew to like her basketball and I did as well. It was a bit underinflated and we would bounce it back and forth. I would bounce it towards her and she would bounce it back to me with her nose. My dog, prior to Becca, was Mattie. I enjoyed interacting with her, while she played with the Egge toy (a very large plastic egg), that she herded around the yard with her nose. My Puppy hasn't taken to any herding activities yet, but hopefully she will in the near future.

So, do you have a personal favorite toy and/or game to enjoy with your dog?:

1. Favorite toy in general
2. Favorite game you participate in
3. Favorite herding game/toy to interact with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:45 PM

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...1&d=1546461868

one of my favorites..
Attached Images

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Retrieve.
Keystone likes to target things, so once I name them, it’s fun to just sit back and call out orders.
When he was younger I really liked the flirt pole too.
Additionally, I really like watching Tilden with any soft squeaky toy - he turns into a puppy!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
That's so cute. Does your dog pull the little guys out of the holes?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:57 PM

If I want to engage both dogs at the same time, the flirt pole is the favorite toy. Both of their prey drives kick in instantly and they are honed in on the rope and go NUTS. And since we have open space in our living room with only couches- we usually play a quick game right before bed and when they get up in the am. Or we play with it at the dog park if no ones there. Odin LOVES playing with his ball. It’s the first thing he does in the am is go get his ball and bring it to you. When their out the crate, he plays with the ball 90% of the time. Some days we have to put it up because he will literally set it in front of you and just STARE at you and the ball until you throw it or kick it. Layla she will every now and then play with the ball. Her favorite thing to “play” with is her brother. She will chase him around the condo and dog park all day. Other then that she mainly just likes to sleep on the couch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

If I'm working in the kitchen we kick a ball to each other, he has pretty impressive kicking skills. In the back yard it's the frisbee or hose.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM

1) for my big-boy his favorite toy is fallen leaves. for my gal-dog, pinecones. Other than that, my gal-dog loves to play 2 ball with two Kong balls on strings. I fling one, she brings it back, outs on command and grabs the next. My big-boy loves to play tug with Kong discs with the middle broken out. His next favorite toy is a man wearing a bite sleeve (grin).

2)Both of my dogs love fetch, but are also enjoying Man-trailing

3)Favorite herding game? Well, we have a dirt road near our house that only the neighbor goes up and down in his truck. My boy likes to race the truck. My gal likes to race my boy. But I don't recommend that game in general.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 PM

Favorite game was one that our Nick taught to us -sort of. We told him to stay upstairs and hid a tennis ball in the sofa cushions. Told him "frei" and "such" just for fun to see if he would find it. We have been out of schutzhund for a long time and haven't done more than basic training. Since he loved the ball, he sniffed and found it and got all the praise.
The next night he was playing with his tennis ball and suddenly walked over and dropped it in front of us and went upstairs. We didn't get it until about the third time and we caught on. It was his favorite game - Hide and seek with a tennis ball. We would hide it all over the basement and he would come and sniff it out. Sometimes we would give him a small scent pad to follow so he could kind of track the scent. He loved it and the balls are cheap.
car2ner likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
That's so cute. Does your dog pull the little guys out of the holes?
She pulls them out or just sticks her nose in every hole to find the treats. Keeps her busy for awhile..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Luna loves to play tug. I have some kind of tug I think it’s jute tug. It’s the only toy is see her get excited about. She is not into fetch. Luna also enjoys scent games, Finding kids in woods/mantrailing, noseworks. She is very smart, learns very quick and has a real wild nose she make things look effortless.

Max is ball obsessed. He loves to play tug but fetch his thing. Anything for the ball. He will stop whatever he is doing for a find it game, finding kids in woods/mantrailing and loves scent detection/noseworks. I had not done noseworks for awhile and something I did made him think we were doing scent detection/nosework. he was sucking in air like a rhino I could not call him off so I had to take out my nosework kit and put some scents out. He enjoys herding sheep to. He is intense dog and seems to put his all into what ever he does. The most fun dog I ever had. His favorite ball is the glow in the dark chuck it ball- extra large and its supper soft and flexible good for their teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page