Now that you know - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Malibu
  • 2 Post By kaydub_u

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Now that you know

Hi!

As a first time GS owner, my question to you is: looking back, what would you do differently with your GS puppy? What are the lessons learned? Is there anything more specific to German Shepherds healthwise? Dos and don'ts? Training tips?

Thank youuuu!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM

I'm a new GSD owner myself, and what has worked for us is we got her into a routine -- i.e. we woke up at the same time every morning to let her do her morning business. Right after that we fed her and let her out again. That way, she knew she had to go outside. For sake that she would alert us, we bought bells to hang on the door so that when she was near the door, she could ring them to let us know "hey, I gotta go!" and oddly enough... We didn't teach her how to use it! She just did it on her own.

For feeding, we feed her three times a day to spread out her intake as she liked to eat very, very quickly... to the point where she was just inhaling her food. She's eating normal and chewing her food now that she's growing mature. Spreading her meals helped out a lot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 PM

Do not under estimate how smart they are. They will take advantage before you know it. EVERYBODY MUST BE ON THE SAME PAGE. repetition,
kaydub_u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 PM

I would have started loose leash walking a whole lot sooner, like once my pup got really comfortable with family I would have started doing it on walks more, just so it would have been natural to him. I am really glad though that after we had him for a few days and he was comfortable I would hand feed him his meals and train during the meals so he would eat slowly, learn, and learn easy (to take bites gently). Bloat is a problem with big dogs and I'd like to think that this lead to him still eating slow to this day, but who knows? BUT my favorite part is that he is so naturally gentle taking things from us. I am very glad that I played with his paws a lot and in between his toes. He loves having his feet messed with and massaged. This has come in handy when he gets his nails trimmed but also, he injured his wrist last weekend and I had to bring him to the vet where they did xrays, he was so well behaved and allowed them to do an exam on him and take the xrays, without any help of other vets/ assistants or sedative drugs. I had a dog before that had to be sedated for xrays because he did not do well at all. But my Obi is 8 months old and the vet said he was the best behaved German Shepherd he has ever seen. There was another vet shadowing him deciding if she would work there or not and she said that she completely agreed with him. I was so proud because he is still just a puppy.

I could go on and on. So if you have questions there is always someone with their own experiences.

Congrats on the puppy!
huntergreen and Malibu like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydub_u View Post
I would have started loose leash walking a whole lot sooner, like once my pup got really comfortable with family I would have started doing it on walks more, just so it would have been natural to him. I am really glad though that after we had him for a few days and he was comfortable I would hand feed him his meals and train during the meals so he would eat slowly, learn, and learn easy (to take bites gently). Bloat is a problem with big dogs and I'd like to think that this lead to him still eating slow to this day, but who knows? BUT my favorite part is that he is so naturally gentle taking things from us. I am very glad that I played with his paws a lot and in between his toes. He loves having his feet messed with and massaged. This has come in handy when he gets his nails trimmed but also, he injured his wrist last weekend and I had to bring him to the vet where they did xrays, he was so well behaved and allowed them to do an exam on him and take the xrays, without any help of other vets/ assistants or sedative drugs. I had a dog before that had to be sedated for xrays because he did not do well at all. But my Obi is 8 months old and the vet said he was the best behaved German Shepherd he has ever seen. There was another vet shadowing him deciding if she would work there or not and she said that she completely agreed with him. I was so proud because he is still just a puppy.

I could go on and on. So if you have questions there is always someone with their own experiences.

Congrats on the puppy!
I will share a perhaps crazy thing I have done with my dogs from puppies. I offer them treats from my lips and they have always taken it nice. I have had friends say they wish their dogs would take treats like mine do and I show them my trick and they are shocked how nice their dog will take it. NOT RECOMMENDING anyone try this but I have fun with it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Thank you so much for your advice!

We're seeing the vet tomorrow for Zelda's shots so I'll have the opportunity to ask some more questions. Geez, does she ever eat! I read that GS were big eaters, but wow does she ever confirm! lol And she's in her "monster" phase already, at barely 3 months! Lucky for her she's so gorgeous and loved because she's really, I mean REALLY testing us every possible way!

Happy New Year everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page