What breeder did you buy from & your experience - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By ADogCalledQuest

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

What breeder did you buy from & your experience

Which breeder did you buy from? If you didn't buy from a breeder, was it a BYB, craigslist, rescue, or another? What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

I've had three Vom Haus Reid dogs. Great experience overall. Couldn't be happier with the experience. Don't know what else to say - always responsive, always supportive.

I had one from a hobby breeder. Not so fine.

I pulled two from the pound. One was a well-mannered adult GSD dog that had been badly neglected and had, I think, most every parasite known to dogs in the US. I pulled him before they euthanized him. He was too sweet a soul to leave. The other was a puppy probably GSD mix- 10 to 12 weeks.

I got three adult dogs from private parties. A shep/elk x, a samoyd, and a big black beefy dog that was supposedly a shep x.

And a GSD that appeared in my back yard with a punctured jugular and trachea.

Don't know quite what to say about the experience with pound dogs, or private party dogs. Every dog was great.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

My first dog, back in 1982, was a shelter dog. Since then they have all been GSD bought from a breeder or from my own breeding. I haven't bought a dog since 2001.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

I got my first two gsds from a byb, they’re litter mate females. For all the haphazard mixing of lines, they have been great dogs overall. Our working line male was rehomed to us from a family member, he too has been great experience. Our 4th was a West German showline from a hobby breeder which did a fair bit of importing, our boy was a product of titled sire/dam imported from Germany. He was pts at 4 years. Our 5th is a wgsl imported from a breeder in Poland, he’s 10 months old currently and has been a fantastic pup so far.
huntergreen likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:03 PM

As an adult, my first dog was a BYB rottweiler. I met and spent a good deal of time with both parents. Best temperament ever and surprisingly healthy until cancer bloomed over night to take him at 10 yrs. And then the AKC boxer from an active show breeder after I fenced my backyard. OMG the environmental allergies - and allergic to dog fur. No support from the breeder to even answer questions when I reached out about it. This was before internet reviews and smear campaigns were possible to research in advance.

There were two more hobby bred dogs in between - a boxer and a rottie. Both lived to a ripe old age of 12 with minimal health issues and stable temperaments. I just put down the rottie 3 weeks ago for a leg break.

And now we have Trickster the GSD. I shopped carefully for him and knew what I wanted. I purchased from a breeder who is not actively titling but I had found good accounts of his dogs from trainers. Of course the online complaints about him not always providing the promised AKC paperwork didnt start surfacing until after I acquired the pup. Still waiting. AKC says he is in good standing with them. The dog is everything I had hoped and the trainer is pushing me at IPO but without a documented identity to attach the titles to.. meh.

Starting to research now for my next rottweiler - PM me with breeder recommendations folks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM

I bought my dog from Anya Dobratz of Hammersmith GSDs. I have had a WONDERFUL experience. He's gorgeous, mentally stable, healthy, and my dream dog. Anya is supportive, fun, helpful, and has become a good friend. She helps me show Quest, and has introduced me to tons of amazing GSD breeders and handlers. I also enjoy her other pet owners, many of whom I have met online too :-) I have actively rescued and fostered GSDs for years, but I prefer a well-bred show type animal for my own companion.
Attached Images

dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page