Mutt, Mix, or Purebred? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mutt, Mix, or Purebred?

I want to know what everyone's opinions are in regards to getting a mutt, a mix-breed, or a purebred dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Master Member

In regards to what? As a pet? As a sport dog? Health? Temperament?

Mutt and mix breed are the same thing unless you consider a mutt an unintentional mix of multiple possibly unknown breeds and a mix and intentional crossing like any of those "oodle" mixes.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I mean like in regards to what you prefer; like if you had the choice between getting a mutt, a mix (I mean a designer dog; ex. Goldendoodle), or a purebred which one would you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:35 PM

Purebred GSD all I have ever owned..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Knighted Member

There are perfect mutts and purebred dogs. Mixes are just "mutts" with good advertising and marketing. Two of the best dogs I've ever had were mutts, a German Shepherd/Elkhound and a Cocker/Terrier. My German Shepherds are amazing and I can't imagine life without them. It's all just timing and life in my opinion.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

I'd go for character and temperament over breed or heritage. Size of the dog may be a factor. A heavy or non shedder (depending on coat type) may be a consideration. I live in a sub tropical climate, currently it is very hot and humid. A dog that wasn't pure black and double coated would cope better in my climate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

I love our girl but tbh a GSD was not on my list of breed of dog to get this time around. GSD was the husbands choice. All of our previous dogs were mixed breed/mutts. Loved them, best dogs ever. I grew up with mostly mutts. Only pure bred dog I remember fondly was our collie (Lady). My mom had a couple pure GSDs one of which was a it psycho from what I'm told. I do remember having to bottle feed her litter because she tried to kill them all. As a kid we had a Lhaso Apso that had the devil in his soul. Meanest little S**t ever...he was a biter. Probally the reason I really don't like small dogs to this day. I really prefer mutts.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page