Renting with a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Renting with a GSD

We are renters that have a great relationship with our rental company. Three years ago when we moved in we were simply given a list of restricted breeds that did not include shepherds. Siberian Huskies,Akitas,American Eskimos,Rottweilers and Pitbulls were on it though. I have heard places typically use one of two lists of banned breeds and one list does not include the GSD.We paid two pet deposits plus an additional damage waiver for the dogs. One of the dogs was a GSD mix that we still have. They've seen him but have never complained so I am assuming they still have no issues with them. Our senior dog passed away and we were given a GSD puppy. I am just panicking that maybe their breed list changed or they would be upset. I am trying to think of a good way to word my inquiry or if I should just not worry about it. It was a bit unexpected as a well meaning family member decided to surprise us because we had mentioned the possibility of another dog and are known to be GSD lovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Knighted Member

Do they have a website that you can search for amy updates? I would not say anything. I would think if their list changed, residents would have been notified. Have fun with your 🐕.
Orphan Heidi likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

Do you have an updated lease renewal? If so, I would imagine it might be in the lease if gsd's are forbidden. Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything. You paid a pet deposit already and to the best of your knowledge the breed isn't banned. If they have a website you may find the information there as well.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:07 AM

I wouldn’t say anything. To the best of your knowledge, the breed is not on the banned list. Probably better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case 😏.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 AM

In my experience, most apartment complexes(not sure if you're renting a house or in an apartment) have a breed restriction list but nobody follows it. I have a rottie pit mix, his paper work says lab mix for housing purposes initially, and the first apartment we had there were dozens of pitbulls, even though I'm fairly certain they were banned. Nobody really cared, what they seem to care about more in my experience is pet fees/rent, not so much the breed itself. At least in my area, and all the apartments I've rented at that is.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Do they have a website that you can search for amy updates? I would not say anything. I would think if their list changed, residents would have been notified. Have fun with your 🐕.
They don't have anything online. I'm just going to stop worrying about it because even when we renewed they didn't ask about the pets.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Do you have an updated lease renewal? If so, I would imagine it might be in the lease if gsd's are forbidden. Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything. You paid a pet deposit already and to the best of your knowledge the breed isn't banned. If they have a website you may find the information there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau's Mom View Post
I wouldn’t say anything. To the best of your knowledge, the breed is not on the banned list. Probably better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case 😏.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
In my experience, most apartment complexes(not sure if you're renting a house or in an apartment) have a breed restriction list but nobody follows it. I have a rottie pit mix, his paper work says lab mix for housing purposes initially, and the first apartment we had there were dozens of pitbulls, even though I'm fairly certain they were banned. Nobody really cared, what they seem to care about more in my experience is pet fees/rent, not so much the breed itself. At least in my area, and all the apartments I've rented at that is.
Thank you everyone! We rent a single family home on a quarter of an acre. They haven't sent us any updated pet list or even asked in the three years we've been here. We renewed again until 2020 this last March and they didn't question us. I'm just not going to worry about it because they've never had an issue with my mix and we rarely see the property managers as it is. I think if the dog doesn't cause a nuisance and isn't left outside alone frequently which she wouldn't be they really don't care.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
If they have a list, it can be used on the back end of a problem. If a dog becomes a problem then management can say, "they are on the list" and evict the dog quickly. I've had a dog over the weight limit. Being good neighbors, management looked the other way. Just don't count on it because rental property can get sold and the new owners may have other ideas.

Bottom line, if your GSD has good manners there is a decent chance you won't have problems.
clipke likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Many rental companies have breed restrictions that they can choose to disregard or firmly adhered. Many overlook restrictions if no neighbors complain or no issues with the dog. It gives the landlord a way out so to speak if an issue pops it's ugly head. However, they pretty well have set a precedence by allowing your previous gsd.

That said, just keep enjoying your baby, don't ask, and train well!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

I've both rented as a tenant and as a property owner. All dogs were supposed to be approved by me. Management company didn't do due dilligence and one set of tenants had got a puppy in addition to their dog. They filled the carpets with dog urine. Don't be that tenant. Be diligent, clean any "mistakes" well, avoid destruction of woodwork, door knobs, floors and other parts of the property. Then you will be fine and the property owner will be pleased with you. (well, so long as you pay your rent, too.) -- One of my best tenants had several pets - dogs and cats.

But the worry and hassle of renting is one reason why I own my house. (well, bank owns part of it but hey).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page