• 4 Post By Springbrz
  • 3 Post By Sabis mom
  • 3 Post By NaughtyNibbler
  • 2 Post By Miika's Mom
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Fostering my German Shepherd

Hi, I am retired army and now work for the government as a civilian. Was told I am coming up on orders for overseas and will need to foster my buddy for a few months. Has anyone ever done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, that's a challenge.

I have heard of people paying for high-end boarding for a few months, but the kind that keeps the dog from being stuck in a kennel is very expensive. Do you have a trainer who you like and trust, who might board the dog? If you have a vet school in your area, I've also heard that vet students sometimes do stuff like this (for pay), to make a little money while they're in school -- you can call and ask the school to post a notice for you.

Sadly, I know lots of dogs that landed in shelters because of military orders, and their owners couldn't rehome them in time. In fact, the shelters around bases tend to be full of dogs like this. That tells you how hard it is to find temporary fosters! My best friend's GSD was one of those dogs. My male also came to me through similar circumstances, as his owner had to relocate to Africa for his job in the oil services business -- and the dog was left at a city shelter. Give yourself lots of time -- it may take several months to find a good solution!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Elite Member

I know it's meant for active duty military however you might try looking into https://www.dogsondeployment.org/ and see if someone can help you. Explain you're a vet and it is temporary (it is? yes?). If your gov job is in support of military that may be helpful. Just an idea. Hope you find something.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson123 View Post
Hi, I am retired army and now work for the government as a civilian. Was told I am coming up on orders for overseas and will need to foster my buddy for a few months. Has anyone ever done this?
I wish you luck. Just a caution, if you opt for a private party GET IT IN WRITING! When I fell ill years ago I very nearly lost my dog who was fostered while I was in hospital.

Posting a location may be helpful as there are any number of folks on this forum with contacts throughout the dog world.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:05 PM

If there is a German Shepherd rescue group close to where you live, perhaps they might be able to recommend some reliable foster sources who might foster for a reasonable fee.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM

I have fostered for a deployed soldier before through Gardian Angels for Soldiers Pets.

You can look them up online. If they do not work with veterans they might be able to direct you to someplace that can.

Good luck and keep us posted as you never know when someone else needs the same help.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miika and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiisa's Mom

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 3 Arabians
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
If there is a German Shepherd rescue group close to where you live, perhaps they might be able to recommend some reliable foster sources who might foster for a reasonable fee.

Please don't take up rescue resources if you're in a high-kill area! Every foster spot is a zero sum game for us: the dog that gets the foster spot wins, and the dog that missed out on it usually dies in a shelter.

I'm positive you don't want your solution for your job to cause other less fortunate dogs to suffer, so rescue really shouldn't be the solution. I also don't think the well-intentioned suggestion meant to do that either, but often people don't understand what rescues are up against.

If someone emailed our rescue asking about this, I might send a list of commercial kennels and professional dog sitters that I happen to like, but I wouldn't share my rescue foster homes. Foster homes are our most scarce, valuable, and irreplaceable resource. I'd cry real tears if someone tried to buy off one of my experienced foster homes for private boarding. We never have enough good fosters for the good dogs that need our help.
Thecowboysgirl and GatorBytes like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 AM

see if this is available in your area

https://www.dogsondeployment.org/

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page