Experienced her first taste of discrimination and I’m so sad! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Experienced her first taste of discrimination and I’m so sad!

We were walking today and two people were out with their dogs and one spotted us and told the other “Heads up. Shepherd coming up.” And they both got off the path and waited until we passed. The tone was so disgusted! I’ve had shepherds before but just mixes so it didn’t feel great. ***Removed by moderator*** And she’s four months old! Not to mention she’s a total sweetie and already knows a ton of commands, doesn’t bark, etc. They had an adult dog and a puppy and the adult dog was less trained than my puppy. I wish I would have said something!

Last edited by GypsyGhost; 12-11-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Pseudo-swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Lol, I feel ya. But, it's probably just as well that you didn't say anything. Vent to vent, that's super healthy - even if people disagree with why you are venting, lol. But, little is gained from an un-needed confrontation. Rotties, Sheps, Pit's, Dobies -- you know all of them dogs are just vile creatures of destruction and mayhem. It has "nothing" to do with the humans who have taught them...

I will, however, quote a sign I once read:

The most aggressive dog breeds:
15. You
14. Can't
13. Rank
12. Them
11. Because
10. Aggression
9. Is
8. Not
7. Breed
6. Specific
5. It's
4. A
3. Learned
2. Behavior
1. Chihuahua's

They're just mean little critters! lol
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

I would have growled at them as I walked by.
misfits, Aly, Coleen and 4 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM

People... that's the beginning end to a good or bad dog.

I would be like you and say nothing, let my puppy do the talking as it walked on by, show them how a real dog behaves all the words in the world can't change stupid but can cause unwanted problems in todays world.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

In all seriousness, just make sure your dog is well trained. These people probably have experienced poorly behaved shepherds. Their bias came from somewhere. Make sure your dog grows up to be a good example.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Knighted Member

I guess it's all in your perspective. I really enjoy watching people with their ill-mannered little dogs scamper out of our way as we walk by
IllinoisNative and Aly like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM

My wife use to get upset when people would move to the other side of the street when Athena was walking then after a bit she took it as a badge of honor. I ha e a funny story about what some parents said to there kids as they where run, they said hey kids watch out for the strange people.... my wife almost died from laughing. Who says that strange people, maybe watch out for other people.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
In all seriousness, just make sure your dog is well trained. These people probably have experienced poorly behaved shepherds. Their bias came from somewhere. Make sure your dog grows up to be a good example.
This. And grow a thicker skin.

I don't mean that in a snide way, OP. It is simply the reality that many people are afraid of GSDs. Letting their reactions roll off your back, doing your best to make sure your dog is well trained and well mannered, and being sensitive to their fear will get you a lot farther than being righteously offended.

I won't say I haven't mercilessly mocked someone behind their back for their total over the top reaction ("needs to hand over his 'adult' card" was one phrase), or that I've never been passive-aggressive when someone responds in a crazy way to my dog (oh hey, you're going to give me death glares for existing in a public park with my puppy on leash? okay we'll practice stays RIGHT HERE then), but genuine fear and dislike rooted in genuine fear aren't rational or voluntary, and most often, generally reasonable people who are trying to respond reasonably to something they know is not reasonable will respond more positively if you respect the fact that they're afraid.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
This. And grow a thicker skin.

I don't mean that in a snide way, OP. It is simply the reality that many people are afraid of GSDs. Letting their reactions roll off your back, doing your best to make sure your dog is well trained and well mannered, and being sensitive to their fear will get you a lot farther than being righteously offended.

I won't say I haven't mercilessly mocked someone behind their back for their total over the top reaction ("needs to hand over his 'adult' card" was one phrase), or that I've never been passive-aggressive when someone responds in a crazy way to my dog (oh hey, you're going to give me death glares for existing in a public park with my puppy on leash? okay we'll practice stays RIGHT HERE then), but genuine fear and dislike rooted in genuine fear aren't rational or voluntary, and most often, generally reasonable people who are trying to respond reasonably to something they know is not reasonable will respond more positively if you respect the fact that they're afraid.
I've had pitbulls in the past so I definitely am prepared for reactions. BUT I think I just felt worse that she's a puppy?! Like, come on.. I still pick her up sometimes. It just felt totally ridiculous.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Elite Member

To be honest I kind of welcome the space. Fewer people approach while squealing "all dogs like me!!!!" They are still the outliers, of course. Most people let us pass, some say nice things like "wow, he is impressive" others hold their children close And to be DOUBLY honest I know a lot of people who have been bitten by German Shepherds. Especially when they were kids- were either landsharked or nipped into being wary of the breed.

I just either ignore and keep walking, proud of his nice leash manners and neutrality -or- If they compliment him without approaching I warmly thank them for the compliment and our space, if I have time to do so.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page