OFA vs SV? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Luna is 9 months going thru her first heat as well as can be excepted. We have continued training but at a slower pace. I am working on tracking and heeling while moving because I am new it is a slow process. At 12 months I am going to do OFA prelims for hips and elbows. However would it just be smart to do SV or no just do OFA prelims and take the next 12 months for titles and what not? Then do full OFA. I personally feel that is better for me because training is slow because of my novicness. I did find a IPO technically two clubs that are close, I also found a trainer who has some impressive experience Ivan Balabomov is his name. He is located in plant city and so is one of the clubs the other club is located very near where I live. I do plan on breeding Luna but not without titles, no titles no breeding I have made that decision much to the dislike of a freind who wants to breed her stud who is IPO now and should be IPO 3 by the time Luna is 24 months, she loves Luna's personality and her overall appearance as well as her nose drive, also my mom and dad wanted a puppy from her as well they are not happy. I figure if Luna can not get titles then she isnt a betterment to the breed and I do not need to add to the bad genes going around. I ideally would like to get a TD in 2019, actually it is my sole goal with her for 2019. Is SV more accurate than OFA? I know SV does more GSD then OFA but does it matter? Luna has already been cleared of DM by breeder so I would also like to do a eye exam but not sure if it is really needed I and leaning it is for peace of mind. I also forgot a cardiac report.

Last edited by hoytn; 12-10-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

AFAIK it only matters if your bitch is registered with SV and you plan on registering a future litter with SV and breeding to the German standard.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I do not plan on doing that no. AKC would be where I would register if I did breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Knighted Member

Why do prelims, just work on titling her.
ausdland likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

To make sure I'm not wasting time or money on training and titles. If she fails then no breeding of course, also no need 4 advance training or titles. Also it takes no time 2 do them.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

If you title and koer the dog, you need the elbows certified by the SV - they close by a year.

I do my dogs at 12-15 months, send to OFA as prelims as it is relatively inexpensive, then submit to the SV....that way I know what I have for working them and don't have to spend the money to redo at 2 as teh GSD world accepts SV hip ratings.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytn View Post
To make sure I'm not wasting time or money on training and titles. If she fails then no breeding of course, also no need 4 advance training or titles. Also it takes no time 2 do them.
What happens then, with a dog that doesn't pass?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Quote:
What happens then, with a dog that doesn't pass?
she still will be my girl, just no breeding or advance training. I will still do stuff but will not spend a lot of money on training or titles. I can not give her if she fails I am far to attached to her don't worry about that LOL.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Last edited by hoytn; 12-10-2018 at 11:49 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
If you title and koer the dog, you need the elbows certified by the SV - they close by a year.

I do my dogs at 12-15 months, send to OFA as prelims as it is relatively inexpensive, then submit to the SV....that way I know what I have for working them and don't have to spend the money to redo at 2 as teh GSD world accepts SV hip ratings.

Lee
What is koer? I had thought of doing the same thing you just said however I am not sure what is the best way.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
she still will be my girl, just no breeding or advance training. I will still do stuff but will not spend a lot of money on training or titles. I can not give her if she fails I am far to attached to her don't worry about that LOL.
Thanks for clarifying. It was really an honest question for me, because I don't now, nor have I ever, competed in any kind of competitive dog sport. It's a whole different perspective for me...

I recently did a CGC test with my dog, and honestly, I thought what a scam! I've never owned a dog that couldn't have passed that test...so to me it seemed pointless and "all about the money". Glad to hear your dog will continue to be loved whether she passes the hip and elbow screening or not!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page