Extremely Displeased with Nash's breeders... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Extremely Displeased with Nash's breeders...

Hey folks - this is more for me to vent than anything, but, I figured maybe it could spark someone else to not have the same problem we do - so worth the effort in that regard.

We were loosely looking for a new pup. Not really breed specific, but we did tend to be leaning towards GSD's. Again, just a family member - not planning to train for IPO, etc. We, honestly, did not even want to go with a pure bred - but a local post happened to show up with a few GSD pups, and we took interest. Long story short, we checked out the pup, mom, dad, litter mates and did some basic background work on the owners and mom/dad. All seemed on the up and up and we took home who eventually would become named "Nash". (I referred to him as "Mr Brown Legs" until we come up with the name that fit him.)

Again, we are not pro's, we are not trainers, we are not breeders...we're just a couple with room for a new pup. We did raise a beautiful Bloodhound "Beau" from 3 months to 11 years, and have had dogs in our lives constantly. So, not completely unaware, just a normal couple with a pup. Anywho - we pick up Nash Dec 1. He's been outside or in an unheated garage w/ Mom/Dad and the siblings. Perfectly fine, and not really anything to do with the displeasure - just explaining the situation. Naturally, he's a filthy thing when we meet him - but, after seeing the temperament and behaviors of mom and dad as well as him and the litter mates - we agree to a (what I consider fairly good) price, and take him.

It was below freezing that day, and we were cold so cranked up the heat in the car. After a few mins of lots of heat and curvy roads, we had a sick pup. He never vomited but hacked a couple of times... we pulled over, cooled things off and gave him a chance to recover. He did so fairly quickly, and we were off again - he was fine henceforth. We decided to stop at Petsmart on the way home and let him get primped up since he was semi-filthy (it was a wet and rainy/snowy day). According to the groomers, he did great. We loaded up and went home. All is well. (and still is - this isn't one of "those" stories just to be clear)

He does all of the normal pup things, except he is burning up. And I don't mean excited panting, or puppy exuberance - I mean this pup is flat out roasting at 70 degrees. He loves it outside, and then we have that "doh" moment. He has NEVER been inside. The last couple of weeks have been very very cold. He's acclimated to freezing outdoor temps, and we have him inside. So we believe hes just too hot.

We let Beau sleep on the bed...and with a pup, sure it's a risk - but we are going to take that risk and just start how we want his lifestyle to be and train our way though the rough spots. So, we let him on the bed for bedtime. We cooled down the temp to about 68 and turn on a fan (which is normal for me anyway). He gets hotter and hotter. We turn on the ceiling fan. He's still getting hotter. Finally, his breathing is so rapid I begin to think something is badly wrong. It was over 100 breaths per min, totally resting. I get him up and we go outside, he's acting perfectly fine. Come back in and all is seems well. He's cooled down and even when hot a happy pup. Long story short with this -- we have been freezing our tails off inside since then to help let him acclimate to being inside. He is slowly starting to handle it better, but we still do lots of window opening / fan running / etc. Like 64 degrees in the living room cool... brrrrrrrr.

Now for the displeasure --- I looked over the papers we had for his shots, and I noticed only one round. But one of the owners said they took him to a different town than what the papers had - so I assumed they just didn't give us all of the shot records. No biggie. I'll call the vet and see what they have, and if not - call the "breeders" and get the name of the other vet. I use "breeders" loosely as I don't consider them actual breeders, rather folks with dogs who bred. So, I call the vet. Nope. Only one round. 10/10. Missing 10/31 and 11/28 shots. Contact breeders to find the other vet. "Oh sorry, we missed the second round..." and begins to explain how and why they forgot etc.

Immediately I get very unhappy. Not rude, but very upset. We've had the pup for 5 days, have introduced him to people with dogs and worst of all, to the groomers in Petsmart. All with shots from 10/10 which at this point are basically useless. I could have tolerated being behind on shots - but you have to freaking tell me that! Zero chance I would have ever taken him into Petsmart being behind two rounds of shots!

Breeders first response when I called him out on the shots... "Well bring him back and we will give you a refund." OH HECK NO, you are not getting NASH!

Now to be fair to the "breeders" they have agreed to cover the cost of all 3 rounds which should have happened... we just have to hope he didn't pick up anything recently. Yeah... lesson learned with a local buy from a local guy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Elite Member

I'm sorry, but even with two to three rounds of shots (which is over vaccinating by the way, 3week intervals is norm) I would not take my dog into Petsmart, let alone to be groomed! Even at the vet, dog is carried in, never touches the floor and a clean sterile towel is laid on the exam table (if needed) until final round of puppy shots at 16/17wks...

You expect breeder level of care and monetary expenditure (breeders spend alot on their program and animals because it is for the betterment of the breed) but also say that you don't call them breeders just people who put two dogs together... I don't mean to be harsh, but I think your expectations are a bit sideways...
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:19 PM

At his age, they definitely should have given him the correct amount of shots. He also could have been experiencing a mild fever.

I got my pup at 7 weeks (too early to leave mom), and didn't have the first set of shots until about 8 weeks old. She was being contained in an outside kennel in the dirt and was covered in flees. She also still had moms "juice" on her dried up from giving birth; (which was kind of nasty to see at 7 weeks old). Right off the bat, I knew the breeders didn't really care about her, they were just trying to sell her off.

First thing I did was take her home, give her a bath to remove any flees from her fur, and start her on fresh water for 2-3 hours before a first meal. First meal was a very small portion of grain free canned food, because I wanted her to poop out everything the breeder was feeding her first, so I can have a fresh start with her. She automatically loved me after that first bath because those flees were no longer biting at her skin. It's been a loving bond ever since.

Technically she was due for a 2nd set of shots 2 weeks ago and I haven't done it yet. But her health is still 100% with plenty of energy.

--IeeTeY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

I had the same problem when my room mate found a GSD that had obviously been dumped. It was February, and when she came inside, the inside of her ears would get very pink as she tried to vent heat. She had obviously been kept in an outdoor kennel.

I wouldn't worry about the panting, it's perfectly normal. But a good breeder usually does NOT keep pups outside in the winter!
[email protected] likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Castillo View Post
At his age, they definitely should have given him the correct amount of shots. He also could have been experiencing a mild fever.

I got my pup at 7 weeks (too early to leave mom), and didn't have the first set of shots until about 8 weeks old. She was being contained in an outside kennel in the dirt and was covered in flees. She also still had moms "juice" on her dried up from giving birth; (which was kind of nasty to see at 7 weeks old). Right off the bat, I knew the breeders didn't really care about her, they were just trying to sell her off.

First thing I did was take her home, give her a bath to remove any flees from her fur, and start her on fresh water for 2-3 hours before a first meal. First meal was a very small portion of grain free canned food, because I wanted her to poop out everything the breeder was feeding her first, so I can have a fresh start with her. She automatically loved me after that first bath because those flees were no longer biting at her skin. It's been a loving bond ever since.

Technically she was due for a 2nd set of shots 2 weeks ago and I haven't done it yet. But her health is still 100% with plenty of energy.
Someone correct if I got this wrong, but shots given earlier to eight weeks of age may provide little to no protection due to the dams antibodies. I would not delay getting the series of shots on schedule any further, it's not worth taking the risk.
Muskeg likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

You should get the pup checked over by a vet including a fecal. He probably hasn't had any proper care
[email protected] likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
I'm sorry, but even with two to three rounds of shots (which is over vaccinating by the way, 3week intervals is norm) I would not take my dog into Petsmart, let alone to be groomed! Even at the vet, dog is carried in, never touches the floor and a clean sterile towel is laid on the exam table (if needed) until final round of puppy shots at 16/17wks...

You expect breeder level of care and monetary expenditure (breeders spend alot on their program and animals because it is for the betterment of the breed) but also say that you don't call them breeders just people who put two dogs together... I don't mean to be harsh, but I think your expectations are a bit sideways...

I you may have misunderstood the situation, Hieni7. Pup was born 8/19/18. First round of shots on 10/10, second was to be 10/31 (Missed) third was to be 11/28 (Also Missed). I really do not think it is at all too much of an expectation for someone breeding and selling pups to A: Get their basic shots and most certainly to B: be honest about what they have done. It's not even that he was behind on his shots that has me so flustered, it's that they flat out lied about them. I do not think this is even remotely close to expecting breeder level of care. I'm not upset that he was outside, or dirty or any of that. My discontentment comes from the lie.

I'm personally not anti-petsmart, but I get why some are. The pup was filthy, needed a bath, and we needed to pick up a few things so it was a win-win to get him washed up ASAP. However, had I known that he had only had the round of shots on 10/10 there is no chance we would have taken him in. Zero.

None the less, we are going Saturday to start over on the vaccines and hes starting to acclimate to the inside, which is good. He's a quick study, and seems to be adjusting to tons of human contact fantastically. I just really hope we have not picked something up along the way...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

I did not know the age... The reason a series of shots occurs is because we don't know when the moms antibodies stop being effective in the pup. At 16wks of age you do not need to redo series of shots. One set and a booster at a year of age will do.

Petsmart comment is not about the company but the amount of dogs and potential diseases that a pup can get... I am less worried after 16wks and last puppy shot (or first if none were given prior) but am still very cautious... And my dogs are SAR dogs and subjected to all sorts of things... Obviously you can't protect them from everything, nor should we, but mitigating the chances of something big when they are very young is wise.

I can understand being upset about a lie..that is not cool . But as I stated before, buying from a byb and expecting more is odd. You don't even call them a breeder yourself. Also, as a repeat, the need for a series of puppy shots should not be necessary as by 16wks moms antibodies are put of his system and the vaccine should be effective.

Nash should adjust to the house temps and if healthy, should not get as hot as he has been. Of course, if he has a sense xoaty, he may always like the cooler temps... Congrats on your new boy. Enjoy him, pics would be great 🙂
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassun View Post
Pup was born 8/19/18. First round of shots on 10/10, second was to be 10/31 (Missed) third was to be 11/28 (Also Missed). .
Pup was born on 8/19.

First shot 8 weeks: 10/14
Second Shot 12 weeks: 11/11
Third shot 16 weeks: 12/09

Mother's immunity starts to wear off at 8 weeks and up. Per my vet, they are usually gone by 12 weeks. The puppy series is trying to hit that window and to build immunity. Your puppy could get one shot now and then do a 3rd in 3-4 weeks. That would complete the series and only be a couple of weeks off the schedule.

You can be angry but some of that anger needs to be directed inwards. You bought from a backyard breeder. The fact that they offered you a refund and offered to pay all the shots is more than 99.9% of them would do.

Move on. Pay for the shots and vet care and enjoy your puppy.
selzer, onyx'girl, Aly and 5 others like this.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Not the best pics, but here's a couple.
Extremely Displeased with Nash's breeders...-20181204_123917_1544149860246.jpg Extremely Displeased with Nash's breeders...-20181204_150950_1544149990444.jpg

He's a crazy thing, lol. He's acclimating a bit to inside temps (as are we, as its 64 in the living room right now lol). I really hope he begins to like warmer temps lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page