Do you spoil your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Do you spoil your dog?

I do a little, I mean I'm 60 and live by myself, so it's not like I don't have the time

I really spoil the grandkids, but Elvis is also special to me.

He will be 2 this month. He's such a good boy, doesn't bark his head off, has perfect recall, always listens, always beside me, walks on leash well, gets along with my 2 cats, doesn't jump up on furniture and doesn't chew the house apart. Unbelievably, he is not even a big shedder...

So, he also is not really a big eater. To supplement his many times of non interest in eating, I slow boil beef marrow bones with some carrots and celery. Often I'll let it simmer all day to really absorb the flavour and nutrients of the marrow in the bones.

I also get him nice healthy dog treats from Costco, the beef liver and lamb jerky ones.

Other than that, tons of love, affection and exercise. I really love my boy!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	515017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2329.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	515019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2395.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	515021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	515023  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Elite Member

What a handsome and lucky dog! He looks very happy. I love the picture where he is rolling on his back. Mine do the same thing.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Good dogs deserve spoiling, just like good people do.
asibley and kaydub_u like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Mei
Master Member

Good for you! We spoil ours too!
I also make her meals.
Here she is chewin on an antler shed we found.
Do you spoil your dog?-20181129_121933_1543868205420.jpg

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Knighted Member

My dog, who is almost 2, gets a raw egg, MSM powder (joint and coat health supplement), and then meats scraps of some sort and some broth (beef or chicken) for breakfast every day. We train everyday, so she gets treats too. At night I just give her straight dry kibble. For the most part she is a constant companion because I take her everywhere with me too. So yeah, spoiled just a little LOL!, but she doesn't seem to mind...
asibley likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:52 PM

Yes, yes I do.

I let their kibble soak in very hot water for a few minutes each feeding, it’s more flavorful and who wouldn’t like a hot meal during the chilly season? They also get fresh toppers... duck eggs, ground beef, chicken, pork, sweet potato, pumpkin, rice, fish, peanut butter etc.

There’s a difference in spoiling as to allowing your dog to behave any way he wants and still get everything he wants. It’s quite another to dote on your otherwise loyal and loving partner.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM

my two get love and play and classes and more than just dry kibble. I've treated all my dogs, staying active and healthy and doing special things.
But then again, I don't have grand children yet and my kids are grown. And part of the GSD package is keeping busy with them.
asibley likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

Nitro gets a home cooked meal every night, even those nights I'm feeling lazy and am eating a can of beans. He gets walked every morning, and 3 to 5 frisbee sessions each day, unless I'm too sick to get out of bed, or the weather is dangerous. I get up very early to walk him in the coolest time of the day, (summer heatwave here). When I go out he's left with the air conditioner and TV on, usually home renovation shows. When I do his nails, he gets little pieces of cheese for each nail. I wont mention his toys. To finish our day, at bedtime he has a kangaroo tendon. I don't have grandkids, I'd say Nitro is (seriously) indulged, not spoilt.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I absolutely spoil my dogs. I sometimes cook them nice things. I often share when I am eating things they like. If they ask me to retrieve the lost toy from under the entertainment center or the bed, I will go get it for them. When my old dog tries to get on the Kuranda and the other dogs have left a bunch of toys and bones and crap on it and she stands there looking disgusted, i will go take the stuff off for her so she can go lay down. Last night she decided to go downstairs and sleep in her kennel and I knew the door was shut and she couldn't get to her bed so I got out of bed and went downstairs to open her kennel for her. She was laying on the concrete when I got down there and she happily went and got in her comfy bed when I opened the door for her.

That dog served me absolutely tirelessly for nearly ten years. The least I can do is make her old age comfortable. I take her out for ice cream every so often. She is getting a birthday cake this year because it's a big deal. She is a food freak now so I indulge her however I can. She is not overweight, she eats super healthy food as her actual food so who cares. Well she still weighs 67 lb which is pretty much what she has always weighed her whole life, as much muscle as she has lost maybe she has a little chub but I don't think so. I can feel her ribs.

None of my dogs are brats, and I don't have a problem getting them to behave when I need them to-- when we have company or if i just don't want to be begged from, if I tell them the lay down and quit they will. They are really good dogs and I think I'm pretty reasonable and toning things down if I feel like they are getting annoying with too much privilege. They all work really hard for me in one way or another. I feel like they do as much for me as I do for them.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Master Member

Naw, we never spoil our dog...

Aside from the fact that we spent our weekend installing a new storm door with a dog door in it...
and giving him a bath on deck with the hose hooked up to the WARM water from inside the house...
and his 10% ice cream tax that I pay whenever I eat ice cream :-D

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page