6 months should be barking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

6 months should be barking?

At what age will my 6 month old GSD girl Jessie start barking at strangers who come to the door?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM

All depends if she feels the need. She may not be much of a barker. I bet she loves everyone and is a great family pet.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:57 PM

Sorry, got distracted by the that photo of a 6-mo old puppy cuddling next to you and not biting biting biting biting.

Malibu's right- dogs are individuals with different urges and timetables. My boy is 1 now and only recently discovered how much fun barking is. Now barks at squirrels, birds, sound of the sump pump, weird sounds on the TV, anything near the front door outside, etc etc.

Enjoy the silence!
Malibu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:03 PM

I'd prefer my dog to not bark at the door. Or maybe just bark to alert me to someone there, but stop afterwards. My shiba does a pretty good job of this, so Katsu doesn't really alert me to the door. She's more of a whiner/squeaker than barker anyways (unless she's doing protection...then she won't shut up!). Oh the conversations we have, lol.

I would expect the barking from a more mature dog, say a year or older, rather than a puppy.
Malibu likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Here's another nice pic of Jessie x
Attached Images

sebrench and Malibu like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:36 PM

Jealous. I wish my brat was a snuggler!

Early on he looked to our older dog when someone came to the door but the old fart is not a barker - he just waits and watches.

Since the age of one, typically we get one bark at the door with whining, and a he starts nudging the doorknob. He really just wants to bounce all over whoever is at the door versus eat them.

If it is out of schedule and I am home for a sick day or something he is more aggressive and vocal about the door and will start as they are coming up the walkway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

So are you saying that from the age of 1 she should start to become more protective of her owners and start barking at strangers?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:31 AM

Mine are not barkers and in general know that it is my job to be the protector. Kiisa probably would have been an alert barker for visitors except that Miika was not (they both get excited if a friend comes though) and she follows Miika’s lead.

They will go to the door ahead of me and will sometimes whine, but mostly if a stranger decided he needed to come in he would be greeted by two silent GSDs, which might be even more unnerving if they weren’t so friendly (at least when I am home).

Been thinking I should put a sign up saying “the door is locked to keep the dogs in not to keep you out,” lol. Or to say “the GSDs who live here would love to have you come in and play, just not sure they would let you leave” ☺️

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miika and
Kiisa's Mom

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 3 Arabians
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Get a sheltie that will teach her to bark at the door lol. Zelda is not much of a barker either, but the shelties have taught her that anyone coming to the door, even if it is the husband or kids coming home they must be barked at

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 AM

Beau would teach her to bark every time any living thing or any vehicle breaches the perimeter. Or passes too slowly by the house. Or stops at the curb. Or even thinks about it. And to keep barking until it leaves or dies. Count your blessings.
Hellish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page