Went to the dog show. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Went to the dog show.

So yesterday I drove with Luna 1.45min to a dog. Luna was great in the car, when we arrived and got out she was initially afraid barked once I think out of nervousness, took her about 15 mins to get relaxed. Walked around trying to find some friends and found out I was clear on the other side of the place. Whole time her nose was attached to the ground it was great watching her track something. We meet up with the friends who where showing their dogs in obedience. First thing one of them asked was does she stand like that normally which was her pose I never can get a picture of, they both commented on how gorgeous she is and how I should give it thought to show her in akc, I honestly wasn't thinking of doing that now I am. There are two people I was told to get their opinion about her from. I got several complements about her, I also got some side eye looks which I laughed at. She did good with watch me during distractions, also I did a small impromptu track with her, I rolled her treat about 15 feet away made sure it touched the ground and left her find it she made mistakes in her track but would back track to get back on track when the scent wasn't there, it was very nice to watch her do that with distractions. I was told I need to work on her which I already knew. We got home and the rest of the night Luna was as mellow as I have ever seen her, my family came over and Luna did very little interaction with them she did the normal greet sniff make sure you meet mister then laid down for most of the night. Now this morning she us back to her normal hyper self lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6569_1542459733866.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	514307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_080321_1542459815026.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	514311  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Crowned Member

I’m not an expert she looks great! The akc shows look fun!
hoytn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

The shows i have gone to have always been fun to watch, i do not like the very sloped backs of show GSD so i never gave a thought about showing Luna. I am sure my friends showed the pics to one of the people who i want a opinion from. i did get to see my first obedience trial from the AKC it really isnt as hard as i had imagined. the off leash is where i would get concerned, one of the dogs ran out of the ring but she was recalled back so the judge didnt hit her for a lot of points because she did a good recall, another lady was staring at me and Luna like i as in a gang or something, it was weird. Luna was the only solid black GSD there and for her first time ever going to a dog show she did amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Now you can see that the sloped back you see in akc shows are from the stacking as in your girls photo! Black gsd in American showline are not uncommon and unseen. Max has some black American show dog champions in his bloodline-it is not unusual. Lol! Yeah people are weird especially animal people lol! Colors- black/tan , sable, bicolor, Black. Akc has a lot of different interest to experience - sheep herding is a lot of fun to!
hoytn likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

That show I saw no black gsd, I saw one long haired one. AKC has a ton of things to do and I like that.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Thats awesome
Sounds like a great experience for her.
She is super pretty too <3
hoytn likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Crowned Member

I donít think she will be very successful in AKC shows, but she absolutely has gorgeous structure for the breed.
Thecowboysgirl and hoytn like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I donít think she will be very successful in AKC shows, but she absolutely has gorgeous structure for the breed.
Sadly I have to agree with this.

Your dog is beautiful . She is a good a example of correct , balanced, to the standard
representative of the breed.

But the shows and what is being rewarded is so fundamentally wrong , she , las
Cliff pointed out would not be rewarded or recognized.

the only hope if you want to pursue this is to find an old timer All-Breed judge .

Her back is not sloping .

She has a harmoniously flowing TOPLINE , from withers, mid back , back and croup.

The "American" show lines do not have the genetics for the selected for roach
backs embedded in the west German show lines.

They do have a slopei in the top line , which is evident without a stack.
A stack would have that extreme rear almost knees to the gournd.
Check any GSDofA REVIEW magazine .
The slope is seen when there is incorrect layback of the shoulder , a pushed
forward , close , scapula , creating a peak at the withers.
The front is straight .
Then you have body length, and loose ligaments which do not support the
rear so the rear always looks as if the dog is crouching.

that is the ASL look .

Get her picture into the good conformation thread.

Good dog !
hoytn likes this.

Carmen

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Agree with most here, AKC would be a tough venue for this pretty girl. If you REALLY wanted to show - UKC is one of the good options. Gorgeous girl.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your input. I will have to do some reading on UKC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page