3 days st home with our boy... overwhelmed - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

3 days st home with our boy... overwhelmed

Hi everyone, we brought our boy Griffin home on Friday. We got him from Carissima kennels and he is 1 yr old. He is very gently and timid so far. He eats out of our hand and is good with our 3 young children (8,5,2). He sleeps in his crate. I’m just feeling overwhelmed and I think he is too. He just seems so sad. How long does it take for him to adjust to us and our home? Weeks, months? Also, they offer training on Sunday morning at Carissima kennels and I want to bring him. Can we go on Sunday or will it be too soon to go back and confuse him even more?
Any advise to help us survive these next few weeks and help him adapt his much welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C20785A7-184A-4998-846C-A5B49640A12E_1542033294869.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	514113   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4B97AFB-75F9-4E50-B654-E6A53E487851_1542033340568.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	514115  
Mary Beth, Moriah, atomic and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Elite Member

I'd wait a couple weeks until he gets used to his new home and people. Love him, train him, he'll be fine.
Sabis mom and Malibu like this.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

Why are you overwhelmed? You said he's timid? Does that mean he's laid back? I'm not understanding the cause of the anxiety.
SuperG likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Elite Member

What a handsome boy! I imagine that it is very confusing for him to be away from everything that he knew. I would expect it to take a couple of weeks for him to adjust and start to bond with you. I'd take it slow and gentle, and try not to overwhelm him with lots of new people and activities right at first. You might want to search the forum for the term "two week shut down." Congratulations on your new GSD! I bet he'll start coming out of his shell in no time!
Jax08 and Malibu like this.

Last edited by sebrench; 11-12-2018 at 10:01 AM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 AM

I agree with the two week shut down, and maybe even a bit more. These are smart dogs and if they don't understand what is going on they can decide, little is safer. Give him time and space to observe the house rules, no visitors yet, just hanging out. Encourage what you like to see happening and give fair warning and corrections for anything you don't like.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

Griffin is a handsome and behaving so well, though I agree with you, he looks sad. As the others have posted, he has a lot to adjust to, and so is feeling his way. I suggest you talk to the breeder. Perhaps Griffin has a favorite toy or activity or treat or type of bed to make him feel at home. It also would be a good time to ask the breeder if the Sunday training is too soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Master Member

Did he spend his entire first year with Carissima or was he a return from another family? If he has been moved around a couple of times he will be very uncertain for a while. I agree with the two-week shutdown and checking with the breeder re: some of his favourite things and when to begin training. He is a very handsome guy and with lots of love and a good routine he will bond to you and settle in to his new family.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

Wait on the training stuff, especially as it is back at the kennel.

And the big question is "Why?" Why was he available at 1 yo? Then these others: What was his first year like? How was he treated at the kennel? So you need to know his biography...
Sunsilver and Malibu like this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 AM

He is adorably handsome! And three days isn't much of anything, he's going through a lot right now and it's not like you can sit down and explain to a dog what's going on and why. Even moves for us where we are fully aware and prepared for what's going on is very stressful! Just give him time and be patient, don't ask a lot of him just love on him and let him become accustomed on his terms. Did he come from a setting before with children? If not, three can be extra stressful in an already unfamiiar environment.
saintbob likes this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM

ENJOY, Keep loving and praising rewarding him. He will only be able to love you back. Don't stress it's not good for the dog or the ALPHA in the house. Pet him give him tasty treats and just have him do easy tasks like sit, nice, come, and let him adjust. We want to see another picture in 2 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page