Rocky Sustained Two Bites! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Rocky Sustained Two Bites!

Well, I guess they are bites, I am not sure what else to call them.

It happened at training Thursday night. In retrospect, I think there were just too many dogs (3 Great Danes, a smaller dog and Rocky) which led to several scuffles. Three of the dogs belonged to the trainer and one was boarding. The trainer broke up the scuffles very quickly and none of us were aware of any injuries. It wasn't till I got home and saw Rocky licking his leg several times that I saw what had happened. I cleaned the area as well as I could and put some antibiotic cream on it, but on Friday morning, Rocky was obviously favoring his leg and the area was very red. He cried every time I tried to look at it. My vet could not see him so I took him to one of the animal hospitals where they sedated him and cleaned up the bites. He came home Friday evening and was put on antibiotics and an anti inflammatory. He is eating good, going to the bathroom and the bites look much better this morning, thank goodness! He is to be on restricted activity for a week to ten days.

You live and learn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The bites this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1110180840a_Burst01.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	514061  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Sounds like the trainer made a huge error in judgement.Those are some nasty looking bites!I'm glad Rocky and you are ok.
wolfy dog and Sunsilver like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

"Several scuffles"?? why weren't dogs put up after the 1st? Those are serious looking bites. Is the trainer paying the vet bill?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I blame myself. I should have said something, but in my defense, it has always been difficult for me to tell when big dogs are playing or fighting since they always sound like they are trying to kill each other. Also, the first scuffle was followed by a long period when the dogs seemed to be each doing their own thing. I think we all got a little complacent that things were going to be OK. And finally, I don't want to paint Rocky as just being an innocent victim, he started some of the trouble. He seemed to take issue with the female Great Dane. No, I footed the bill, I think it's as much my fault as anyone else. I am just glad my little buddy is OK.
car2ner likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

Well I hope he feels better soon <3

It's not your fault at all. And it doesn't matter who started it. You were paying a trainer to assess and teach control over these things, not to have his own dogs involved and inflict injury as well. I can see it happening once and surprising everyone once. But that would have been it.

What trainer allows this to happen more than once? And 3 of the other 4 dogs were his?? Honestly I'd be pretty P.O'd if I was paying good money to experience the type of stuff that causes me to avoid free dog parks. Just my .02c. When we were dealing with lunging at other dogs when Valor was about 8 to 9 months old, my trainer "used" his two dogs to help train him out of that. His dogs were 100% under his control and helped enormously just by being well trained stable good influences. I can't image a trainer bringing any other type of personal dog to one of their training sessions, group private or whatever. Has he offered to pay vet bills?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

In your defense, you are paying the trainer to know what is and isn't a fight. If you were at a playgroup with a friend, I'd say just foot the bill and live and learn. But it is the trainer's job to prevent fights, and to know more than you do about what is and isn't a fight. It doesn't really matter if Rocky was involved in starting it or not because he is just a dog, and it's the trainer's job to manage the dogs in his care, and that means preventing fights before they start.

I'm also a bit concerned about the location in the back of the leg? Odd spot to target in just as scuffle (Usually the ruff on the neck and front legs are involved). At a minimum, I'd recommend you avoid contact with those dogs in future.

I'm sorry he was hurt. Glad he is on the mend.
Jax08 and CometDog like this.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I blame myself...... No, I footed the bill, I think it's as much my fault as anyone else. I am just glad my little buddy is OK.
This is not your fault. Your trainer allowed 3 of HER dogs and a boarding dog to have several scuffles at the expense of her CLIENT and another client's dog. This is not your fault. She should be footing the bill on this. 100% what Muskeg posted above.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Yes, what they all said, not your fault, she should pay the bill. I do understand why you may be reluctant to ask her to - if it were Beau I’d have similar mixed feelings. At minimum, though, find another trainer.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Sorry about that. At least he didn't require drains and sutures. I would definitely have that 'trainer' pay the vet bill and wouldn't put your pup in that situation again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page