Wgsl - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Wgsl

I recently got my 6 month old WGSL puppy and as I’ve been reading through this forum I was shocked at the bad rap they get. I thought he had a solid pedigree with numerous titled dogs. I actually chose him because I loved his looks and was also looking to start protection training with him. He is my first purebred Shepherd and it would be my first time doing protection work with a dog (I will obviously find a well experienced trainer to guide me through it). Anyways, I know it varies from dog to dog but solely based on his bloodline do you think he could be suitable for protection work? Or does the fact that he’s a WGSL make him less of a “working dog?” I obviously still love him no matter what but, I’m just curious as to what you guys think? I have attached a few videos of his grand sire and grand dam doing bite work and will also attach a picture of his pedigree! TIA



His grand dam: https://youtu.be/b9aU47OVNFM

His grand sire: https://youtu.be/JyKonve4tO4

His sire (comes into the vid at 4:08):
https://youtu.be/GKw-1TDn-vE

What do you guys think?
Diabolo95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
The pedigree is in Italian !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BA998F5-BBA7-43FC-9410-2D3AE72E82E5_1541807278514.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	514055  
Diabolo95 is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,991
You will have to have your pup evaluated at the proper age to see if your pup is suitable for protection training. IMHO, that is the only way to know.
huntergreen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
You will have to have your pup evaluated at the proper age to see if your pup is suitable for protection training. IMHO, that is the only way to know.
What is the proper age? Thanks for the response!
huntergreen likes this.
Diabolo95 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Moderator
 
car2ner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,159
you can have your pup looked at right after the final set of shots. A trainer will tease the pup with a rag and see how much spunk your pup has. Keep in mind that pups still go through stages all through the first year so don't bring your pup if it seems like it is heading into a fear stage.

WGSL can do protection and really enjoy it. You might have to put more of your own energy into the training as these dogs sometimes decide they just don't want to work as hard some days. The higher drive working lines can be easier to train since they live to work. But even within lines dogs can differ. Even within litters some will have more zip than others.

What ever you chose to do, have fun with it! It will make a huge difference.
Spetzio likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

car2ner is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
you can have your pup looked at right after the final set of shots. A trainer will tease the pup with a rag and see how much spunk your pup has. Keep in mind that pups still go through stages all through the first year so don't bring your pup if it seems like it is heading into a fear stage.

WGSL can do protection and really enjoy it. You might have to put more of your own energy into the training as these dogs sometimes decide they just don't want to work as hard some days. The higher drive working lines can be easier to train since they live to work. But even within lines dogs can differ. Even within litters some will have more zip than others.

What ever you chose to do, have fun with it! It will make a huge difference.
Wow, thanks for the informative response! My boy is 6 months old and he’s actually going through his “fear phase” right now. Is that normal at this age or is it typically something that happens younger? If you have any tips on confidence building I’d love to hear them. Also I was wondering how does one find a trainer for IPO? Do you have to go through private trainers? Or specific AKC clubs? I’m new to this all so, I’m very excited to start the process! Even if protection work isn’t his thing I’ll try to get him into tracking since he loves sniffing anything/ everything that comes into his path lol
Diabolo95 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington St.
Posts: 6,966
If you post a general location folks here may have some clubs suggestions.
Nigel is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
If you post a general location folks here may have some clubs suggestions.
Very true! I’m right near Boston (MA).
Diabolo95 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington St.
Posts: 6,966
If you don't get any responses for clubs you could try starting a thread for this specifically. Your pups grand sire/dam look nice. We added a wgsl from Poland earlier this year he has been a great addition. He is every bit as much GSD as our Czech WL only a little more social. Don't let some of the stuff you read cause you to have any reservations about your dogs capabilities.
Nigel is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
If you don't get any responses for clubs you could try starting a thread for this specifically. Your pups grand sire/dam look nice. We added a wgsl from Poland earlier this year he has been a great addition. He is every bit as much GSD as our Czech WL only a little more social. Don't let some of the stuff you read cause you to have any reservations about your dogs capabilities.
I will definitely do that! Did you have any thoughts on my dogs sire? Also if you can, you should post a picture of your WGSL! I would love to see him☺️Btw thank you so much for that last bit, I was certainly getting disappointed seeing everyone else’s thoughts on here about WGSL.
car2ner likes this.
Diabolo95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WGSL Ped VomBlack Bloodlines & Pedigrees 4 07-30-2011 07:01 AM
Seeking Quality WGSL Breeder bean Choosing A Breeder 4 05-04-2011 05:31 PM
Insight into WGSL Pedigree Ava Bloodlines & Pedigrees 9 04-19-2011 08:20 AM
WGSL Breeders? Aralez Choosing A Breeder 35 02-01-2011 08:18 AM
Texas- Logan, 7month old WGSL male adopted Emoore Follow-up from 14 01-03-2011 09:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome