Alternative to conventional tennis balls - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Alternative to conventional tennis balls

Looking for ideas on another type of ball or a different brand of tennis ball that some of the members here have used that their dogs really like and enjoy playing with & chasing....we've been using Kong tennis balls from Amazon which on the site states they are easy on teeth--supposedly ???....we've never really had a problem with any of our GSDs.....I'm asking today because yesterday our 4 year old female Aussie had one of her canines removed because it had worn to the point it was into the pulp--infected and abscessed....some of my GSDs years ago had worn their teeth into the pulp slightly over time as they aged but never had an issue...if I can't come with a better idea Callie (the Aussie) is going to have nubs for teeth in a few years...I'm not going to let that happen....Amazon has a variety of "tennis balls" which are supposed to be easy on teeth....wondering if anyone here has tried any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Knighted Member

Nyx was only 18 months old when she chipped a molar and had to have it sealed, as I mentioned in another thread. As part of the process they cleaned all of her teeth. And the first thing the Vet said afterward was "you let her play with tennis balls don't you?". He went on to say that there was noticible wear on her canines, at only 18 months!

Since then I've kept her away from tennis balls as much as is possible. I've used chuckit, nerf (they make rubber balls), ruffwear, and brite-ize balls.

Chuckit and ruffwear balls have held up the best.
Shane'sDad likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Elite Member

No tennis balls! I wish I had known this before I got my pup. She's only 3 and has worn enamel on her molars and canines worn down already. Any plastic substitute that doesn't have a felt cover should be fine.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

If I do use a tennis ball, I put them in an old sock for water retrieve ad put them both in the trash when home.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Master Member

I use Starmark durafoam, but they will not withstand chewing. I just use them for games of chase and as a toy reward because they are soft, I don't let my dogs take them off and chew on them. I think pretty much all rubber and plastic toys will wear down the teeth of a heavy chewer. I give my dogs edible natural chews rather than toys to chew on. Any toy that can hold up to chewing is going to cause wear to a dog's teeth.

Also the teeth of young dogs are softer than older dogs and more prone to damage. Once my pups get their adult teeth in I am very careful about what they chew on and catch.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I use Planet Dog Orbee balls. They DO withstand chewing, and the company will replace the ones rated for heavy chewers if they are destroyed. They also have several 4 and 5 inch varieties, which eases my mind about a dog choking on them. I also like chuck it balls, but not for fetch. I string paracord through them and use them as a reward during training.
Cassidy's Mom and Shane'sDad like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Check out the Planet Dog Orbee line -- my dogs love the mouth-feel:

"Tuff":

https://www.chewy.com/planet-dog-orb...plate/dp/53174

"Sol":
https://www.chewy.com/planet-dog-orb...-spot/dp/47192

"Squeak":
https://www.chewy.com/planet-dog-orb...-dog/dp/141374

They're expensive but durable. They're molded from one piece (so no seams to split).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM

My dog is a heavy chewer and he destroyed all of his Kong toys/ball. Nowadays he has a Wilson tennis ball and it's a wonderful product. It's not made for dogs but you can find them on shops specialized in selling items for tennis (sport). Babolat is also a great choice.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Mei
Master Member

I'm so glad I researched tennis balls and dogs! They are not good for their teeth and I'm very surprised the dog toy industry still sales them.

My pup LOVES the rubber chuck-it whistle balls! I just bought a glow in the dark one yesterday! She LOVES fetch with them and in the house just chomps on it. I don't know if it's the sound it makes or she just loves chewing but she can go for hours if I let her. I've seen her fall asleep with one in her mouth lol. The chuck-it balls come in different sizes too! We prefer the whistle balls because you can put snacks in them or freeze a small amount of kibble in it. She was complimented by a stranger how white her teeth are couple weeks ago. I said, well she is just a puppy still at 9 months but all the chewing she does probably contributes to the white teeth.

Here's a picture of her and one of her balls! Check out all the drool on her cot from chompin on the ball!Alternative to conventional tennis balls-20181006_195243_1541640599175.jpg

Alternative to conventional tennis balls-20180813_190831_1541640703852.jpg

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page