6Likes
  • 2 Post By mego
  • 1 Post By mego
  • 2 Post By Hawke
  • 1 Post By kaydub_u

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Say my name? AKC registration?

Random question about picking a name for AKC registration, I am confused at how to go about it. Lots of people I see use Vom in the middle and Korra has lots of Vom's in her pedigree, is that something I should put in there? Does it even matter?
I do not plan on breeding her so that is not a consideration but I wanted to get her lineage for personal interest. I have seen some of her pedigree from the database but not all of it. Is there a protocol for registration names?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

vom kind of loosely translates to of/from... so a lot of dogs are named with the scheme Dog Name + from + Kennel Name.

You aren't allowed to use kennel names that are someone elses (or SHOULDNT.)
Sunsilver and stevreb07 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, her breeder didn't have a kennel name and not sure if she even plans on breeding again. I guess since there are no plans to breed my baby it doesn't really matter, right? Just pick something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

You can make your own kennel name for fun a lot of people use their last name or something if they can't think of anything lots of "vom Haus x"
stevreb07 likes this.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Vom is actually a contraction in German, shortened from von dem. Depending on the gender of the word that follows, it might be appropriate to use vom, but it might also be grammatically incorrect. If the next word is feminine or plural, you would want to use von der or von den instead. ...Actually, depending on exactly what word you're using, you might use a different preposition than von to begin with... (Like how in English we used in/at/on depending on what exactly we're trying to say and what words we're using in the sentence.)

All of that being said, you can name your dog whatever you'd like! You don't have to follow German grammatical rules; you don't have to follow any grammatical rules at all! If you like the sound of something, even if it's not grammatically correct, you can go ahead and use it (as long as it's not on a prohibited list or a registered kennel name of someone else). You also don't have to have a super long name! When I registered my girl, I ended up being able to just straight up register the name I'd been calling her, because it wasn't taken -- no need for a "from" or an "out of" tacked on to the end of it. Just go with what you like best!
PghLoveGSD and stevreb07 like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 PM

I had the same problem haha. My puppy has vom Mittlewest lineage, his grandfather is Titan vom Mittelwest II but, neither of his parents kept the name and like mego said, you shouldn't use a kennels name. I just went with his name, Obi and our last name. It's what all of his records are under so why not. He's our family, so that's what was important to us. We were really interested in getting the pedigree info like you said. It's funny going from all these cool kennel names to OBI haha. He's our Obi.

Also, my first Shepherd's name was Kora. I LOVE THE NAME!! She was 5 when we adopted her, and I was 5 when we got her. I grew up with her, she was an amazing dog. Congrats on your pup
stevreb07 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

That might be what I do, nobody else in the family cares one way or another, Korra doesn't care. We struggled with a name for her until she was here and the name we picked out just didn't fit. My son chose Persephone, Goddess of Spring and Queen of the Underworld (don't ask) and what a name that was, so we shortened it to Oni but she wasn't an Oni.So my husband came across this explaination as part of Greek mythology: "Persephone was titled Kore (Core) (the Maiden) as the goddess of spring's bounty" and from that came Korra, we spelled it Korra because it is a little different and it just fits. This little dog (I call her little at 65lbs..lol) has a personality beyond anything I have seen in a dog before and I have been servant to a fair few, she really is an amazing creature.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am already a year late and looking at double the cost but I really want both sides of her pedigree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page