Is a GSD right for me? Which lines? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Is a GSD right for me? Which lines?

I'm hoping you can help me know if a GSD is the right choice for my next dog, and if so, what lines i should be looking for. I'm looking to get another dog in 2019 at some point, and want to start researching now. I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids ages 18 months to 19 years. Previously, until about 6 yrs ago, I was a Certified Veterinary Technician, and also did private and group dog training. I've owned a variety of breeds and mixed breeds, with my favorite dog - my soul mate if that isn't too out there - being a high drive, field bred weimaraner. She was absolutely the wrong choice for a novice owner living in an apartment but she forced me to learn a lot about dog training!!! To give you an idea of her drive she only would lay down to rest/sleep if you put her in a crate with NOTHING in it. If there was even a single toy or chew bone she'd chew or play rather than rest. The first time I saw her lay down and rest of her own accord she was 7 months old, and it lasted only a minute, lol! A SAR group sent me a questionnaire to fill out on her drive levels, to evaluate her as a potential prospect, and she basically at the highest levels for everything - they wanted me to train with them but I ended up moving and was unable to do so. Since then I've had another weimaraner - a rescue from show lines that was much more laid back, a shepherd/pit/lab mix that was probably medium level drive but had some fear/skittishness that we worked through but I'd like to avoid in the future (I found out after adopting her from the shelter that her dam had to be put down for aggression), a brain damaged border collie that was brought into the clinic I worked at at 6 weeks old with head trauma, and now a bloodhound/coonhound mix with VERY low drive but very sweet. I MISS having a german dog, and am looking at either another weimaraner or a german shepherd. I do feel confident I can handle a high drive german dog, but in fairness I homeschool my kids and can't spend 3 hours a day training. And my attention will be divided between kids and dogs unlike when I had my last high drive puppy as a single adult. I CAN and WILL spend time in spurts throughout the day working on training, and will do long walks, and I have a decent sized fenced yard (6 ft privacy fence) to play fetch/tug/etc in as well as a pool for swimming. I'd also be interested in getting back into tracking (current hound turns out not to care one wit about tracking), or nose work. But most importantly, I want a dog that is safe around visitors, can go places with me, can be good with children. From what I can tell a GOOD GSD fits this profile, but there are so man BAD GSD breeders out there I don't know where to start. I'd prefer a female, on the smaller side rather than the huge overgrown ones I often see, and I’m in Florida so less coat might be better in the heat. I know I do not like the crouching/slanted gait of the American Show lines. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM

I CAN and WILL spend time in spurts throughout the day working on training, and will do long walks, and I have a decent sized fenced yard (6 ft privacy fence) to play fetch/tug/etc in as well as a pool for swimming. I'd also be interested in getting back into tracking (current hound turns out not to care one wit about tracking), or nose work. But most importantly, I want a dog that is safe around visitors, can go places with me, can be good with children. From what I can tell a GOOD GSD fits this profile, but there are so man BAD GSD breeders out there I don't know where to start. I'd prefer a female, on the smaller side rather than the huge overgrown ones I often see, and I’m in Florida so less coat might be better in the heat. I know I do not like the crouching/slanted gait of the American Show lines. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you might be ready for a WL GSD. Or if your lucky like me you can find half WL/SL GSD. Hopefully someone in your area can help you out. I only know my area. The main thing as you said ....it's all about the breeder and then it's all about U.... & your time. good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:47 AM
Master Member

Are you considering a puppy or an adult? It sounds like you know what you'll be in for. The most important thing to focus on in my opinion is training her and adjusting her to the children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

There's been discussion on other threads of raising a GSD puppy with very small children, but unfortunately I don't know what threads those were to look them up. Anybody know?

I'm no kid expert but your littlest kid is going to be right at mouth level for your little land shark.

A really good breeder, producing REALLY temperamentally sound dogs, who really knows who to match a puppy to the family that's appropriate, is probably more important than the line. So take your time and really vet the heck out of your breeder, that's my advice.

You mentioned "high drive"- and honestly in your situation I'd suggest you look for a breeder who expects to produce a more medium dog-- not high drive or very high energy, and can match you with such. I doubt you'd wind up with less GSD than you feel you want or need if you went that route but even if you did, in your case I'd say less dog is better than too much.

And lastly, sounds like your dog experience doesn't really include a breed prone to being territorial, protctive, or guarding etc. You probably will have a lot of kid traffic in and out? Your kids' friends etc? That can be different with a GSD in the house than a different breed.

I can't recall anybody suggesting a really good breeder in FL. I think Von Lotta is in GA, and I think they have been recommended.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

I have a Von Lotta GSD, as well as a two young children--a 3 year-year-old and an 18-month-old. I couldn't be any more proud of Asher (the GSD). He is wonderful with my kids and has been happy, healthy, and fun to train. I can take him anywhere and he has never given me any drama--he loves to get out and see places and do things. He is very neutral meeting other dogs on leash. I do not go to dog parks or allow him to play off leash with unknown dogs.

If you've never had a GSD, be prepared for your puppy to be mouthy and play-bite. They aren't called landsharks for nothing. I brought Asher home about a year before my first son was born, so I spent a lot of time training him and he was done with his bitey stage before the baby came home. Be prepared for lots of small sharp teeth and a large, active puppy that can knock down a toddler without meaning to. It is possible that your puppy won't be a good companion for your little ones until he or she is older. Some separation (via crating or baby gates) will likely save your sanity. If you can find the time for training in your busy schedule, and perhaps take some obedience classes with your new pup, I think you could be very happy with a GSD. Though I admire other breeds, I can't really see myself with any other breed at this point.

Last edited by sebrench; 10-29-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Master Member

I can't imagine raising an 18 month old and a GSD "high drive" puppy at the same time. I'm single with no other dogs and no children and this 9 month old high drive WL GSD is kicking my ass right now...although he's starting to get a lot better lately. His first 7 months-ish, my entire time was spent on him. It was tiring and draining. Any time he was sleeping/napping (which was rare) was my quiet/down time. If you can do it, more power to ya. I'm not saying don't get one. I'm saying, know what you're getting yourself into...and a good way is to comb through these forums. There are a lot of good discussions in here pertaining to GSD puppies. The fact that you're a vet tech and have owned high drive dogs before is a huge plus going for you. But realize that GSDs are a whole other "monster." If you do get one, we're all here to help. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page