Heart worm prevention year round? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Heart worm prevention year round?

Sooo I live in Northern Massachusetts and it’s already reaching 44 degrees here. I have always been told from reputable sources that year round heart worm meds aren’t necessary during the colder winter months. However, yesterday a vet (not my primary one) told me that heart worm meds are required year round. I’m conflicted on what to believe. On one hand I liked to be able to give my pups a 6 month break from the harsh chemicals in the meds. Im hoping to get some insight on what you guys up in the colder states do with your dogs! TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to attach a pic of my two babies: 6month old Diablo (GSD), 3 yr old Tala (GSD/ Husky mix).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB98892A-0997-4F18-9344-7C24102FC634_1540569754325.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	513469  
stevreb07 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM

I hear the same thing but here in Wi. with several months @ freezing or below I skip about 4 months. It all depends what you have around you to. Woods. water, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:23 PM

If day AND night temps are not above 57 degrees heartworm cannot survive. There is no indication for year round dosing of heartworm meds in cold climates (other than lining a vets pockets). The only reasoning i have heard for year round dosing in cold climates is basically "owners are forgetful and if they don't give the meds year round they will forget to start again in the spring". Nonsense. I am not a forgetful pet owner, are you? Btw, the exact same reasoning is used to justify the instructions of dosing pets every 30 days. The meds actually have been proven to be 100% effective if given every 45 days, but manufactures/ vets think that every 45 days it to "hard" for people to remember, so they recommend every 30 days. How convenient for their pocketbooks!
ausdland likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

I'm torn, and live in a similar area. Honestly, with our weird freeze-thaw cycles I've seen mosquitos in the dead of winter when it warms up to 50 degrees. I dose my guys with ivermectin ever 45 days year round. Personal choice. If the winter was in a deep freeze for three months, I might skip a dose.

I give sheep "drench" ivermectin, dosed properly with a 1 cc syringe. With approval of my vet. The price is not a concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Administrator

There are definitely split opinions.

I've gone years where I skip the dead of winter (quite cold here) but in years when I have travel plans to warmer climes (even if it's just for a long weekend) I dose them straight through the winter.

Since heartworm preventative is also what most people rely on for *other* worm prevention, keep in mind that your dog can still pick up other worms regardless of time of year. A few years ago one of my dogs picked up roundworms when she was off Heartgard for the winter. It wasn't a big deal, but if she'd been on Heartgard, it probably wouldn't have happened.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:29 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

My concern with skipping months over the winter or waiting a full 45 days in between doses is this... what if there are some worms that “breakthrough”, and are not killed off by the previous month’s treatment? If this happens in say, October, and the dog does not get preventative again until March or April, what then? When you wait a full 45 days in between doses, you have very little room for error if you do happen to forget. I discussed the pros and cons with my vet, and we settled on dosing every 37-40 days. I used to stop over the coldest parts of winter, but no longer do. Just personal preference on my part, but I’d feel terrible if my dogs had to suffer through treatment for something that is completely preventable.

That said, when my senior was still with me, I DID stop preventatives for 3 to 4 months over the winter with her. She had other health issues, and I felt reducing chemicals for her had more benefits than the possible risk of contracting heartworm in the dead of winter. My vet agreed with this choice.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

I started dosing all winter when I found mosquitos in my basement in February. The weather is to wacky these days to count on it being cold enough all winter. And I travel with him for training so conditions vary.
huntergreen and GypsyGhost like this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:08 PM
Master Member

Year round for sure too many weather changes happening lately. Beside my pet insurance wants him on it year round or they won’t cover in case he gets heart worm. Not sure how that works since they don’t ever see me give him his meds.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Crowned Member

I believe you void the guaranty offered by the major prevention manufacturers by not dosing year round -- they'll usually pay for treatment if there's a breakthrough infection, and you purchased 12-months worth from the vet. Otherwise, they won't.
Jax08, huntergreen and GypsyGhost like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page