6Likes
  • 2 Post By Malibu
  • 1 Post By MaggieRoseLee
  • 2 Post By Judy Untamed
  • 1 Post By Sunsilver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

GS won't go inside out of weather

Strange issue.......I can't get my dog to go inside out of the weather. I live in TN and have a 2 yr old, 80lb male (neutered), GS mix. I have lived at two different houses and the same issue exists. He is crated inside the home at night, but during the day has free reign of the back yard. Today, it was about 55 degrees, cold and rainy. In my backyard, I have a 10x16 shed, of which I have portioned a section off that functions like a "dog run/stall". The stall is about 6x4, so plenty of room for him, but he refuses to use it unless I am actually in the shed with him. We feed him in the stall, so his food stays dry, but he won't go inside on his own. At this exact moment, it's 52 degrees out, soaking rain and he is curled up in the middle of the yard. winter is approaching and I don't know what else to do, short of locking him in his stall or the crate.
Last winter, we kept him crated for 10+ hours inside while we were at work, but I don't really want to do that to a full grown GS.

I am looking for suggestions on how to train him to get out of the weather (although I thought that would be instinct.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samspon.stall.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	513447  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:37 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

One of my GSD's also loved it outside. She'd curl up when it was snowing and get covered with a layer and not come to the door to come inside.

I'm thinking that I felt guiltier than she felt cold, but since I couldn't stand it, I'd have her come indoors..

If I were you, I'd just take him in the house when you are gone so you know he's safe. and if you are home and he's in the yard but you can keep an eye on him, just use common sense and get him in the house when you think he should be in.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 AM

That wood doesn't look to compfy to me.... Put something down that he can lay on and drop some treats on it. He probably can't see anything from inside so he would rather be out so he doesn't miss anything.

Oh yeah, had to chuckle @ your cold 55 degrees. I feel for you... NOT!!
Sunsilver and saintbob like this.

Last edited by Malibu; 10-26-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:17 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Hm... adding a dog bed or some type of bedding does sound like something to try....
Sunsilver likes this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM

My parents once had a GSD/Chow mix. Gorgeous dog. And she LOVED being outside, especially in bad, cold weather. The worse the weather was, the more she refused to come inside. So long as comfortable shelter is always available and we give the option of coming into the house...isn't it OK to allow the dog to choose what they're comfortable with?
Sunsilver and saintbob like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:58 PM

I agree with trying something comfortable for the floor - maybe a rubber stall mat (horses) or some of those foam square pieces that fit together. Alternatively, maybe a elevated dog bed and blanket on top for the cold months? they have them on Chewy for like $15 I think (watch the instructions if you buy! I spent 30 minutes trying to put it together only to find out I was doing it wrong)

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Fro sure a nice bed and some rubber horse or workout room flooring, i'm sure he has toys outside but put some nice toys and chews in it. Also it could be the angle but make sure the opening to the yard is large enough, he might want a larger door to comfortably go in and out of and see the yard
also make sure the door is facing away from the wind so he doesn't get a draft when he's laying in there
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

I'd add some bedding, but it could be this:
Attached Images

tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page