Dog park blues... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 337Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 AM

I've been around folks who thought that my dogs were so well behaved and they invited me to their dog-park group. It was a nice thing to get invited but I declined. #1 unneutered dogs are not allowed in some of the nearby parks without a muzzle (I'm still scratching my head over that one) and #2 I don't want the hassle of undoing stupid stuff and stuff happens. I simply say, "my dog plays too rough" and that is pretty well accepted. Before I had a fenced in yard I went early when the park was empty. That included doing a walk around to make sure something nasty wasn't in the park (yes, that happens). Or I'd go to a large field with a long leash. Just be careful of the end of the long leash. Those things can wrap around a leg or slap your ankle pretty hard depending on what is on the non-dog end of it.
Kahrg4 and CometDog like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

Some breeds are definitely more able to be cool with lots of new strange dogs and it's usually the ones whose breed job kind of requires that of them. Even those dogs aren't fool proof though.

In general I think it is totally unnatural for non family member babies, adolescents, adults and seniors, all of different breeds, energynlevels, breed traits, etc, to be expected to "just work it out".

WE created a totally unnatural living environment so i believe it is up to us to make it work, and throwing them all in a small fenced area together couldn't be a better setup for failure.

Find me any animal anywhere that will be tolerant and kind of another animal's young that it did not grow up with? I can't think of anywhere in any animal species where adolescent and adult animals would be meeting with young of that species that are not part of their family group unless like groups of elephants at a watering hole but you better believe those mama elephants are not gonna let the babies "work it out" with an adolescent from another strange family group.

Is there an example I am not thinking of? I think the idea that this should ever work out just fine is basically preposterous.

By the way that older dog that I did let give my adolescent the what for was a dog he also had known his whole life although he is not my dog.
dogma13 and GypsyGhost like this.
post #23 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

With my ill advise many years ago to My mom and dad was go to the dog park with there new lab pup. I never really knew what a dog park was but heard people enjoyed taking there dogs there. I was always a hiking person with my dogs never interest in dog parks but I thought my parents would enjoy meeting other dog people and they needed something different to do. My mistake. So many people at the dog park always would let their dogs bully my parents pup who always so submissive to the dogs but stills kept getting bullied/schooled by other dogs the owners felt was okay. they stopped going. They had nothing but arguments and bad experiences there. My moms dog herself became a bully with other dogs after that and steamed rolled over max when he was such a little pup -practicing that same behavior she was taught. when max was screaming after the roll I saw the flicker in her eye and was about to attack him but my scream stopped her in her tracks- my karma. I always felt bad I sent them over to the dog park which near us is really small fenced in square area. There is a such a big dog social theme going on I don’t really get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Funny you mention the training older dogs do with puppies. Right after this happened, one friend walked up and offered to "beat the guy up for me", and another couple of people commented on how much they appreciated my dog putting some schooling on their puppies.

It's a mad mad world folks, everyone has a different level of experience...it's all good. I also trust my dog's judgement...to a point. And I'm also sensitive to the feelings of others. It's all good. I'll watch my dog more closely for now, but I am confident she won't ever hurt a puppy...it's just not in her temperment. An adult dog....not so much...given the "right" provocation in her mind...bad things could happen. But not with a puppy...
I don't look at it as dogs correcting other dogs either. I look at it as a prelude to a fight. You're hoping the younger dog accepts and backs off from it. But just think about what you posted here. The "right" provocation in her mind. This caught you off guard, why are you so confident it wouldn't escalate with any dog, even if they are young? I don't want to see you get beat up in a dog park over something like this.

Doc

post #25 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM

With Beau it’s nearly always a prelude to a fight now, or at least bad behavior, and especially with younger dogs.

Beau changed with maturity re: other dogs. He was always sweet to other dogs as a pup and young adult, but now he can’t be trusted, maybe because a couple dogpark dogs tried to bully him back then?Anyway, you know that stereotype of the schoolyard bully offering to “teach you a lesson”? That’s what it looks like sometimes when Beau switches gears on a dog. He likes to meet other dogs, but that doesn’t mean he’s always nice to them. He starts off sweet and friendly, and with some dogs stays that way. With others, he’ll then suddenly turn into a social-climbing butt-headed bully. He can be especially rough with adolescent dogs or more submissive dogs, and I can’t always tell when he’s going to be a jerk, so I just don’t let him get close enough to try anymore.

For me, it wouldn’t be worth the risk of A.C. getting involved, never mind the potential trauma for some young dog. Beau needs space to fetch, so I do sometimes use dogparks. But we only go in one when it’s empty, and we leave if anyone else comes in.
tc68, dogma13 and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #26 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Elite Member

Before I knew any better I took puppy Inga to a dog park where she was 'disciplined' by a homeless guys pit bull. She could have been killed. Now she is dog reactive for life. Not worth it! Now I use the outside the fence area for proofing commands she already knows. Its a great proofing zone as she walks past and downs right next to the fence fighters.
CometDog likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #27 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Don't forget, intact females have good reason to be aggressive particularly after a heat cycle. If she were bred (and her body pretty much tells her she has been- contact with male or not) she must eliminate all threats to herself and her future young. Aggression toward adolescent dogs, and other females is par for the course.

When you chose to keep a dog intact, which is a perfectly acceptable choice, you also for the most part are choosing against dog parks, random dog-dog social interactions. And you are choosing, at the same time to have far greater control and responsibility, particularly with an intact female who comes into heat twice a year and will do her best to get bred.

Intact female shepherds, in my experience, have the highest rate of dog-dog aggression, particularly during and right after a heat cycle. If you don't like this, and don't plan to breed, spay her during the hormonally "quiet" time of her cycle.

Otherwise, plan to use quiet, public lands (Nat'l forest, BLM, state forest) to exercise your dog because this behavior is more than likely going to escalate with subsequent heat cycles.
Orphan Heidi likes this.
post #28 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Knighted Member

Oh, Tim, please think carefully about this. Your dog is already in the system now and you don't want a second mark against her. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what a smaller dog might do to Nyx, if there is an altercation and the smaller dog get hurt, your Nyx will be the one blamed.
Kahrg4 and dogma13 like this.
post #29 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

My eldest bitch was fine intact for 3 years. At about 4 she began having false pregnancies. During the last two she questioned the justification for any other dog, including her neutered home buddy, being on the earth. And I began to appreciate why the term for female dogs has a bad connotation. The only cure was breed or spay. She's spayed. (We never did dog parks. We had a training field I could drive to, we had a school yard within a block that we could use. Now I live on 10 acres.)

Tim,
I join the "pack" that suggests your bitch's behavior might have something to do with her cycle as well as the pups getting older. Dogs will be dogs and dog park dogs will be dogs. I think your routine needs to change - either find an alternative to the dog park or go when few to no others are using it.
post #30 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I've been around folks who thought that my dogs were so well behaved and they invited me to their dog-park group. It was a nice thing to get invited but I declined. #1 unneutered dogs are not allowed in some of the nearby parks without a muzzle (I'm still scratching my head over that one) and #2 I don't want the hassle of undoing stupid stuff and stuff happens. I simply say, "my dog plays too rough" and that is pretty well accepted. Before I had a fenced in yard I went early when the park was empty. That included doing a walk around to make sure something nasty wasn't in the park (yes, that happens). Or I'd go to a large field with a long leash. Just be careful of the end of the long leash. Those things can wrap around a leg or slap your ankle pretty hard depending on what is on the non-dog end of it.
Yeah, that's exactly what I do now....the long leash, and it gets wrapped around my ankles a lot. I've gotten some nasty rope burns and they hurt. I've been mulling over the idea of fencing my yard not only for the dog but also to keep the deer from pooping all over my yard and my dog eating all the deer poop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page