Dog park blues... - Page 21 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 337Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Master Member

Nice!

It's strange, but Rumo and I have passed more people hitting/kicking their dogs than you would ever think. We once rounded the corner in an apartment complex and came upon the shocking sight of a well-dressed young lady kicking her dog again and again...a medium-sized brown hound dog. The dog came up to us with tail wagging and I said, "She looks like a sweet dog??" Her owner said, "But she's been so BAD today!" My immediate thought was - the dog is now out on a walk and probably has no idea why she is being kicked for something she did earlier ( go potty in apartment? bark a lot? chew up a sofa?). Anyway I thought about beginning a conversation, but the lady looked cranky and not in the mood to discuss dog training or dog psychology, so I let them be. It made me sad though and I still wonder about that dog...haven't seen her since, and I wonder if the lady rehomed her (maybe, not a bad thing)...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 PM

I guess that is where we get the phrase, "being treated like a dog". Even though people claim to love animals and the dogs are their family, they are also often the recipient of built up frustration...made at your boss, kick the dog. Spouse annoying you, kick the dog. Kids driving you nuts, make them take the dog out and they'll drag the poor thing around.

I guess sometimes you don't address the treatment of the dog directly. You could try something like, "rough day?" and then get around to teaching about dogs later. Just my 2 cents.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #203 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I stood by, for a bit today, watching two little boys trying to get their dog to drop a ball he'd just fetched by hitting him with the chuck-it, or kicking him, while their dad talked on the cell phone ignoring the scene.

Of course the dog did not drop the ball ever, but the kids were equally committed to their "task" and didn't take non-compiance for an answer. After just a few minutes I couldn't take it any longer!

So, I explained and helped show the boys the two ball technique, which I personally have never used with my own dogs, but have with others...and violla, their dog started dropping its ball right away - no hitting or kicking required!

Just another day at the dog park, which due to circumstances we visited 3 times today...
Just wondering if that dad took notice of your help.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 AM

Dog park has something of the MVD about it.

A few days ago there were only two people there in our giant park, separated by a fence. Girl nearest me keeps suspiciously looking over at the other lady, who's under the shade. Jupiter and I come in and start playing fetch. Walking the perimeter as we usually do, the two dogs bark viciously at Jupiter, guarding the entire south park area from us. I think "it's not worth it," and stay in the north area.

A few days before that, we were there and this lady's dog, looked a bit like a Shelty, came out of nowhere to bite Jupiter's leg. He kind of shrugged it off. Later the ball landed near the dog and it and its brother gang up on Jupiter, attacking him and biting him, apparently not noticing that he's over 70 lbs now. I kind of gave the owners a "really?" look and just moved to a different area. Luckily, she left after that.

Two owners bringing their aggressive dogs to the dog park in just a week. Makes you wonder.

Jupiter seems to have really settled down, and interacts peaceably with all dogs, with the exception of sometimes nipping a bit at the ones who want to be chased. He is pretty neutral to both dogs and people and mostly just wants to chase the dang ball for miles. I rarely hit him with my Chuckit stick, and I doubt that tough little beast would feel it even if I did.
post #205 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

My approach was to engage the boys, one about 7 and another about 4 or 5, telling them I'd show them a trick! I gave the older boy a ball and explained what he needed to do, then had the younger boy throw the ball. Of course showing the dog another ball when he returned worked first time and he dropped the ball in his mouth. Which made the boys very happy and excited to try that trick again!

And yes, dad did take notice and, acting embarrassed, explained that he'd forgotten his treats that day as if that explained everything!

If that was the worst treatment or training mistake I see on a daily basis though, that would be awesome...sadly it isn't. What bothered me about this so much is that these were young kids...already thinking that abusing a dog was (a) acceptable, and (b) teaching the dog something?!

I hope the kids learned something!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #206 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
Dog park has something of the MVD about it.

A few days ago there were only two people there in our giant park, separated by a fence. Girl nearest me keeps suspiciously looking over at the other lady, who's under the shade. Jupiter and I come in and start playing fetch. Walking the perimeter as we usually do, the two dogs bark viciously at Jupiter, guarding the entire south park area from us. I think "it's not worth it," and stay in the north area.

A few days before that, we were there and this lady's dog, looked a bit like a Shelty, came out of nowhere to bite Jupiter's leg. He kind of shrugged it off. Later the ball landed near the dog and it and its brother gang up on Jupiter, attacking him and biting him, apparently not noticing that he's over 70 lbs now. I kind of gave the owners a "really?" look and just moved to a different area. Luckily, she left after that.

Two owners bringing their aggressive dogs to the dog park in just a week. Makes you wonder.

Jupiter seems to have really settled down, and interacts peaceably with all dogs, with the exception of sometimes nipping a bit at the ones who want to be chased. He is pretty neutral to both dogs and people and mostly just wants to chase the dang ball for miles. I rarely hit him with my Chuckit stick, and I doubt that tough little beast would feel it even if I did.
A lot of people don't understand dog behavior or just don't care. They can't imagine their cute and precious dog being a problem or just don't care when it is. That's partly why dog parks can be so hit or miss.

I would warn you to be careful playing fetch there especially if you're using a chuck it as that's generally longer range. Toy aggression can cause fights to break out and if you've already had incidents so close together there's definitely the potential there. Some dog parks ban toys, I wish all would and enforce it. I know they're good places to go and run off steam but if you haven't thought about it before it's something to think about. If you're alone most of the time then probably not an issue.
post #207 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Elite Member

"And yes, dad did take notice and, acting embarrassed, explained that he'd forgotten his treats that day ........."

Sometimes all it takes is ignoring what's being done wrong and showing what can be done to help. Along with a little bit of causing inadvertent mild public embarrassment is a pretty good way to get someone to think about it.

You probably made their "aha" light bulbs lite up.
tim_s_adams likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #208 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:30 PM
LRP

We brought our puppies to the dog park for the 1st time yesterday. Our 5 month old male was very vocal and in the face of every dog that walk by, but all he wanted to do was play and he had no clue how to play yet. Him and our female are very rough with each other, bark and roll around, he was doing the same thing with every other dog. The concern was that not every other dog would understand that he was doing this playfully. So we let him tire out in the secure holding gate before letting him in with the other dogs. 15+ dogs all running around playing happily, no one got into it... it was awesome to see. There was 1 older GSD named Hurricane that defiantly let the puppies know when they had gotten to close, but even he settled and never did anything but bark. I will admit I tend to go more on the cautious side when it comes to dogs but I feel if you can not control your dog or have fears of aggression then the dog park is not for you. There is nothing worse then bringing your dog to a "safe" place to play and have an attack happen.

Last edited by LRP; 05-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #209 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:41 PM

There is no such thing as a safe place with 15 random dogs running about.

It's all fun and games... until it isn't.
Jax08 and wolfy dog like this.
post #210 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
There is no such thing as a safe place with 15 random dogs running about.

It's all fun and games... until it isn't.
Trust me, my anxiety was at a all time high while my husband and I kept an eye on both our puppies. I always go to the worse case scenario and I thought for sure something bad would happen but it was such a peaceful situation with all the dogs getting along and playing. Some were playing rough of course but there was nothing to yell about. Our male was so happy to run around with all these new friends, our female basically sat next to me and wouldn't allow anyone to sniff her... it was quite hilarious because at home she is the bossy player and he is more laid back.

What I meant by "safe place" was that most people bring there dogs to the dog park and do not want to worry about an aggressive dog attacking there dog. If I knew our dogs would have been that way I would have never let them off leash in that situation.

Last edited by LRP; 05-28-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page