Dog park blues... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 337Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 AM
Crowned Member
 
MineAreWorkingline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Good points actually. Can I assume that you don't and never have taken your dog to a dog park?

Dog savy or not, there are certain things that are sort of universal for all dogs...and one of these is dogs schooling older puppies. And by schooling I mean sort of putting them in their place rather roughly. I've seen lots of puppies go through this "hazing" and come out of it more confident and carefree around the same dogs that put them through it...

Be that as it may, I will say that some people are uncomfortable when any dog does anything with their precious baby other than licking it in the face...but that just isn't reality. Dogs have a way. I don't claim to fully understand it, but they do, it's universal, they all get it. So as long as nobody is getting hurt, I'm more inclined to watch and let it go.

That being said, I recall how it felt when my pup was 6-7 months old and got picked on...so I'm definitely sympathetic to these puppy owners, and will do whatever I need to to make sure their puppy is not harmed in any way!

But I agree with you completely, I'd be mortified if my dog ever hurt a puppy also! I won't let that happen...
That's not exactly true, that dogs school other dogs or puppies in dog parks. I have been taking my dogs to various dog parks for about fifteen years now, and no, people do not let their dogs school other peoples' dogs/puppies, nor do they let them work things out. That must be something specific to the particular dog park that you go to. I don't let my own dogs school my other dogs or work things out. Once there is one dog fight, that is usually only the beginning. There most likely will be more of increasing intensity.

You have repeatedly stated in the past that your dog plays rough and you let her because other dogs are playing with her rough. It has been mentioned in the past that excessive rough play will only escalate. Is that what you might be seeing? I wonder if you may be experiencing a couple of things with her. Is your dog's corrections actually over corrections because of this? Is this why people are that upset with her behavior that it is becoming problematic? Or perhaps your dog is weary of other dogs hurting her and when she meets a strange dog, she feels compelled to school them before she gets hurt again?
GypsyGhost and cloudpump like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
MineAreWorkingline is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member
 
tim_s_adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
That's not exactly true, that dogs school other dogs or puppies in dog parks. I have been taking my dogs to various dog parks for about fifteen years now, and no, people do not let their dogs school other peoples' dogs/puppies, nor do they let them work things out. That must be something specific to the particular dog park that you go to. I don't let my own dogs school my other dogs or work things out. Once there is one dog fight, that is usually only the beginning. There most likely will be more of increasing intensity.

You have repeatedly stated in the past that your dog plays rough and you let her because other dogs are playing with her rough. It has been mentioned in the past that excessive rough play will only escalate. Is that what you might be seeing? I wonder if you may be experiencing a couple of things with her. Is your dog's corrections actually over corrections because of this? Is this why people are that upset with her behavior that it is becoming problematic? Or perhaps your dog is weary of other dogs hurting her and when she meets a strange dog, she feels compelled to school them before she gets hurt again?
I find your comments funny, because as I stated, my dog gets along with ALL dogs..if not friends she just gives them a wide berth. But she's very adept at reading and reacting to a newcomer. Whoever establishes themselves as the "boss". It's all good, they all do that initially.

The funny thing is, my dog is not at all being dominant or aggressive! Just a normal dog growing up with normal puppies!

But hey, it's all good...
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
tim_s_adams is offline  
post #13 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Master Member
 
Femfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 809
I think dog parks in general are just an interesting dynamic. One of the dogs in my club does NOT tolerate other dogs well, especially females, and yet she's apparently just fine at a dog park, which I find weird. My girl tolerates other dogs well enough given they don't get in her face and loves little happy dogs, but she is not a dog park dog. It puts her on edge because males constantly believe they have the right to try and mount her, and I've never once taken her to a park close to her heat in either direction.

The other day while we were at club, one of the club members had his dog out who is a total sweet heart. Just a love bug of a shepherd. Ryka was nearby, and he has a profound interest in her.. she must be a babe in the dog world or something. He sniffs her and she sniffs back, and then they move on and it's fine. Until he comes back and sniffs again and then tries to put a paw on her shoulder. Ironically during this whole thing, I told my other club member that Ryka would not tolerate inappropriate behaviour, and that she would end up snapping at his dog if he didn't pull him back. To which he replied, "Ah he'd never do that!"

2 seconds later his dog pushed Ryka's comfort levels, and just as I was about to remove her since he wouldn't, she gave him a nice air snap by the face and scared him so bad he rammed into his owner and hurt him.

It's good that you know your dog, but I'd definitely keep a closer eye now. You just never know the other dog.
Springbrz and tim_s_adams like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Femfa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member
 
MineAreWorkingline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

First, about 2 weeks ago I was contacted by Animal Control because a lady with a 5 month old huskie had complained about my dog's aggressive behavior. I freely gave this woman my dog's name and my contact info, but was a little shocked to get a call from A.C. the very next day!


Tonight, the same thing happened with a different puppy, but this time the owner confronted me directly. Good for him! We discussed it, I completely understand where he's coming from, so we were able to talk it through and parted on good terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I find your comments funny, because as I stated, my dog gets along with ALL dogs..
First you said she is having problems to the point of her being reported to Animal Control and then she did a repeat performance with another puppy. Then you say she gets along with ALL dogs.

Umm... not sure what this thread is about any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
The funny thing is, my dog is not at all being dominant or aggressive! Just a normal dog growing up with normal puppies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
She seems to have emerged from that a little more aggressive toward 5-7 month old puppies for some reason, and it has caused some issues recently.
Okay she is more aggressive towards puppies but she is not at all aggressive? See my previous comment. Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of a puppy pass?
cloudpump likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
MineAreWorkingline is offline  
post #15 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 AM
Elite Member
 
Sunsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Okay she is more aggressive towards puppies but she is not at all aggressive? See my previous comment. Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of a puppy pass?
Yeah, I was just going to mention that! I saw a film on Nat Geo Wild a few years back about dog behaviour. Obviously the all-positive crowd had something to do with it, because it tried to debunk that dominance exists. It showed a younger dog, a half-grown pup, humping an adult dog, and used that as proof that humping was not about dominance, because the older dog tolerated it.

Well anyone with an ounce of knowledge about dog body language would have noticed how stiff the adult dog's posture was. It clearly said, "I'm just putting up with this nonsense because you are a PUPPY! Give it a few more months, buster, and you are going to find out this is NOT polite behaviour!"

But the clueless idiots that put the film together had NO IDEA...
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sunsilver is offline  
post #16 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Crowned Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington St.
Posts: 6,966
Hey Tim, you're in Colorado, don't you have access to public lands to run your dog? We use national forest, Blm, and state land often, my dogs love it and come home exhausted both physically and mentally. Oh yeah, much less drama too, lol!
Nurse Bishop likes this.
Nigel is offline  
post #17 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Coleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago SW Suburbs
Posts: 298
Most gsd's don't make good dog park dogs. They tend to play a little to rough. Tasha loves all living things and would never attack or intentionally harm another animal, but, she can play rough. That tends to scare alot of other people who aren't familiar with the breed. It would scare me if I wasn't familiar with gsd's! Her looks alone scare people, that's the protection part for me! It might be a good idea likes been suggested and have play dates with other dogs matched to your dog's play style. Keep in mind that you are dog savy, but alot of other people aren't. Good luck!
tim_s_adams likes this.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Coleen is offline  
post #18 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Elite Member
 
Heartandsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,748
I think with the two incidences and your girl's maturity, it's time to reassess the environment. I'm sure you know that at about the 5mo-6mo old mark pups begin to lose their puppy shenanigan license.

I have recently all but stopped walking my boy in my neighborhood due to new neighbors and their dogs. He and I both love walking around town. I miss the basically carefree walks that took so long to make it carefree (i.e. training him to ignore and not react) but the two new wild cards that moved in makes it just not worth the risk that both dogs and the attitudes of the neighbors create. I can keep my guy well behaved and in control, I can minimize possibilities but when the environment and the chances and risk probability changes, reassessment was needed.

You work hard with your Nyx to give her what she needs and I think right now, she needs your good judgement in keeping her safe, maybe not from other dogs but from the owners who don't see things as you do.

Obviously my experience is much different from yours but the need to reevaluate the environment that we put them in is the same.
tim_s_adams likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Heartandsoul is offline  
post #19 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,806
There was a comment somewhere back there about adult dogs should school puppies or that was a fact of life or something to that effect.

Here's my take on that-- an appropriate adult can be useful to teaching an adolescent manners. But I would never in a million years want a strange dog doing that to my dog, or would I let my dog do it to a strange puppy. This is something that can sometimes be useful when you know all the dogs involved well. I let an older male put my young male in his place because he was a dog I knew well and I knew i could trust him to do it and it was a useful experience I feel.

My old male who died was near to doing it with my younger male and I would have let that happen because I think it would have been useful and appropriate and I could trust that dog so much. But he died before it happened. So I let the other dog do it because I had known that dog for years and I knew what he would do and why. I'd NEVER want this sort of thing going on between two strange dogs.

My female was sort of appropriate at one time a loooong time ago. Until the day she wasn't. So that was the other caution I wanted to give you Tim--- you say nobody is getting hurt in these altercations but just be aware that one day there may be stitches when there never were before. And my girl is a dog who will NEVER be allowed to "school" anybody because it won't be appropriate. She did some squish and growls to other dogs when she was younger, and she would not do that unless they had done something really stupid to her. But at some point it became I throw you down and bite you. I don't think that had to happen or necessarily would have happened if I had handled her better than I did. I would never in a million years do now the things I did with her when she was young.

My young male had a kind of tactless adolescent phase but I never let him approach a strange dog to be "schooled" in that entire time. I would never have just let him run amok in a dog park situation and be a tool to other dogs because that would either upset the other dogs or he would get his rear handed to him by someone which as much testosterone as he had in his head right then could have led to a dog fight. All things I don't want in our lives.

He has grown up to be socially a really nice dog, I'm proud of how many different dogs he can interact with.
GypsyGhost likes this.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #20 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Elite Member
 
CometDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
The day someone else's dog corrects my puppy, we are going to have issues. I'd never allow my dog to correct someone else's puppy, nor allow my puppy to be corrected.
1. I dont trust you to be dog savvy enough to know anything about dog behavior. Ill assume you are a fur mom.
2. Things can escalate quickly. Especially at a dog park.
3. I'd be mortified if my dog hurt some unknown puppy, or if I was making some other owner uncomfortable because I claimed to be dog savvy, because I read it somewhere.
This. Any concept outside of ^this is why I do not go to dog parks.

Actually I don't go to dog parks because I see it as a modern socially constructed example of anthropomorphism where people think dogs need to interact with other unknown dogs so they know how to socialize and get along with others ...you know for when they grow up and go to dog college and then live on their own among strangers when they pick their dog career.

Dogs are pack animals, the best thing for them is to be brought up in their pack. An older known dog can be an excellent teacher for a boisterous young pup. But not a strange dog. Puppies that wind up alone and encountering an unknown grown dog not from their pack would be in big trouble in their mind, so I would NEVER bring a pup into a situation where it can experience that kind of insecurity and stress/ For those who insist on applying children's social needs to dogs....would you watch a 10 year old kid push around your 5 year old on the playground because it is natural for an older kid to keep him in his place?

Long ago when dog parks were a new and fun thing and before I knew about the downside of it, I use to bring my super playful and dog friendly Jack Russell to the local dog park. Had my dog park friends, she had her dog friends. THREE YEARS not a single issue. One day (it only takes one day) a new idiot person with a big Malamute (it only takes one day and one idiot person who doesn't know anything about or have control of their dog) came in and the malamute ran over and savaged my dog to the point where I had to kick the other dog in the loins hard enough for it to be circling in pain after the fact. It had my JRT in a death shake.

One day, one incident, and my dog was a mental wreck with other dogs for the rest of her days.

Thanks but no thanks. Just sharing my story to demonstrate how years of "fine" can change on a dime because of one unknown person and dog at your regular hangout, one day.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CometDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Smart Tips For Curing The Back-To-School Dog Blues shepherds General Information 0 08-31-2015 01:00 PM
Dog Park Blues - the people need the prongs Gretchen Stories 8 09-03-2012 10:10 PM
Dog Door Blues robertm How do I (teach my dog to)? 8 04-24-2011 02:51 PM
do dogs get the blues? maddoxsb General Behavior 6 01-19-2009 02:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome